GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warning light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 06:17 AM
rdefabri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning light issue

Haven't posted much here, but have a '00 GS400 Platinum with 120,000 miles. As I work from home, the car isn't driven much, but an unused car can have problems just as well.

I'm preparing to sell the car, and the battery needed to be charged, which I did. I've done this previously, no issue. This week, I charged it, and now the VSC light(s) are on - if I toggle the VSC switch, the light doesn't go off.

Car drives fine, but that light is a real bugger. As noted, the car has some (fixable) issues, but warning lights would peeve me if I were a buyer - any thoughts on what it could be?

I'm hoping it's related to the battery drain - hard for me to believe that one week it's fine, then the next week, the lights come on.

If this has been previously covered, my apologies - as noted, I haven't been here much, primarily because my GS has been a workhorse. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-15, 06:54 AM
kfara24
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc

I have and IS 250 but have been having issues with the VSC light too. I finally got around to taking it in and it ended up being a faulty brake switch that needed replacing. Mine is a 2007 and I too am getting ready to sell and trying to take care of all the little things that I need to before that. The repair cost 250 bucks so not as bad as I thought it would be. The vehicle stability control I know from talking to them usually has something to do with the brake system.

Originally Posted by rdefabri
Haven't posted much here, but have a '00 GS400 Platinum with 120,000 miles. As I work from home, the car isn't driven much, but an unused car can have problems just as well.

I'm preparing to sell the car, and the battery needed to be charged, which I did. I've done this previously, no issue. This week, I charged it, and now the VSC light(s) are on - if I toggle the VSC switch, the light doesn't go off.

Car drives fine, but that light is a real bugger. As noted, the car has some (fixable) issues, but warning lights would peeve me if I were a buyer - any thoughts on what it could be?

I'm hoping it's related to the battery drain - hard for me to believe that one week it's fine, then the next week, the lights come on.

If this has been previously covered, my apologies - as noted, I haven't been here much, primarily because my GS has been a workhorse. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-15, 03:26 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car doesn't move much, it's possible that rats can chew through the vehicles wiring.

Not saying your home has rats, just a thought. Not uncommon to see this type of repairs at the dealership.
Old 04-18-15, 05:53 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You need to get a scan tool hooked up to the car that supports the ABS/VSC system. The code you receive will tell you where to start looking to fix the issue.
Old 04-20-15, 03:57 PM
rdefabri
Driver School Candidate

Car is outside - doubt it's rats. It's likely related to the braking system, but I do have a scanner, so I'll connect it and see what codes it throws.

Really stinks because the car has been babied and it's a peach, but sitting isn't really good. I have an old Jag that's in my garage and now that has a frozen caliper...lovely.