GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel

Old 02-07-19, 10:37 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’d like to attempt to retrofit the stock 01+ steering wheel audio controls (SWC) onto my non-nav 99 GS300 with stock Pioneer radio. I have already built the adapter harness to now use the 01+ radio. My steering wheel is currently a woody from an 01 RX300 with no buttons. In my research it appears the GS430 wheel mounted controls are wired with 2 data wires through the steering wheel clockspring connector and then to a Gateway ECU 89111-30010. On the GS430 with nav this ECU communicates to the multi-display (Nav screen) and also to the radio. Since I don't have Nav (no multi-display), I should be able to connect steering wheel controls to gateway ECU and then direct to the 01+ radio's 12-pin connector pins 9 (TX2- yellow wire) and 10 (TX2+ brown wire). Will need to splice into 20-pin radio connector for B+, ACC and Gnd for the gateway ECU but should be straight forward. Also need to find and tap into Ignition On.

I’m wondering if the additional wiring from the clockspring to the gateway ECU is in the car already. This would probably be the most challenging part if not. In looking at my 01 RX300 steering wheel it appears to be SWC-ready with additional wiring to the clockspring already and the same SWC support brackets as the GS430. My 99 wheel did not have these wires or brackets. I do also have the 01 RX300 clockspring but not currently installed. I've attached some docs that show that the connections from SWC to Gateway ECU.

Has anyone tried this before and succeeded? Where is the Gateway ECU physically located in the car? How do you remove the SWC from the steering wheel if I find one?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01-05 SWC.pdf (195.3 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by rossmer; 02-07-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 11:24 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

That Gateway ecu should be located up under the steering wheel.
If you pop the steering wheel control cover off you will see two screws holding the unit to the wheel. The RX wheel is adapted to have the unit bolted up to it.
I too am trying to get my steering wheel controls to work with my after market Pioneer head unit, my car came with the steering controls and worked well with the oem head unit. I since swapped out the oem unit for a Pioneer and have the SWC1 and the Tetra TOY/LEX adaptors, however I still can't get the steering wheels control to work. I will continue to trouble shoot the issue. It is on the bottom of my to do list right now.
The following users liked this post:
rossmer (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 12:44 PM
rossmer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
That Gateway ecu should be located up under the steering wheel.
If you pop the steering wheel control cover off you will see two screws holding the unit to the wheel. The RX wheel is adapted to have the unit bolted up to it.
I too am trying to get my steering wheel controls to work with my after market Pioneer head unit, my car came with the steering controls and worked well with the oem head unit. I since swapped out the oem unit for a Pioneer and have the SWC1 and the Tetra TOY/LEX adaptors, however I still can't get the steering wheels control to work. I will continue to trouble shoot the issue. It is on the bottom of my to do list right now.
So you can access the T30 Torx screw with the SWC mounted on the wheel to remove the airbag assembly first? Then remove the SWC screws from inside the steering wheel?
Old 02-09-19, 12:35 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rossmer
So you can access the T30 Torx screw with the SWC mounted on the wheel to remove the airbag assembly first? Then remove the SWC screws from inside the steering wheel?
No, to remove the airbag you have to remove the swc unit which is held on with 2 small Philips screws, to access the 2 T30 screws for the airbag. The swc unit is just bolted up to the wheel.
You can remove/attach the swc without taking the airbag off. Just remove the plastic cover on the left side of the steering wheel and you will see the mounting screw points right there. You might have to remove the airbag though if the connector for the swc is tucked too far in the wheel assembly.