GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Strut recommendations - stock height / daily use

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 11:56 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Strut recommendations - stock height / daily use

Hi all. With the rear end torn apart for other things, I知 wanting to replace the rear struts while I知 in there. As the title says, stock height and I want a good smooth ride. I was going to go wtb the Bilstein performance struts but I ordered a month ago and they are still not in stock with the retailer due to backorder at Bilstein. I知 tired of waiting so looking for best options. Im kind of toying between KYB or a stock set... but want to turn to the wisdom of the Club here. I壇 really appreciate feedback from those who are stock sprung and have changed your struts.
Old 11-07-17, 12:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

1)wait for the bilsteins
2)wait for the bilsteins
3)KYB's
4)oem's
Old 11-08-17, 10:11 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I had Bilsteins and switched to KYB's. The Bilsteins were mated with L-sportline springs giving a bit of a drop in height. L-Sportline is actually an Eibach spring which was sold through Lexus. I found the Bilstein setup to be a bit harsh for my likely. Currently I have the KYB with L-Tuned springs which are also made by Eibach (I believe). The L-tuned springs are very similar to the L-sportline with the sportline being a bit stiffer. When I switched over I immediately noticed a more compliant ride. The Bilstein setup was a bit stiff and slightly jarring for my liking.
It should be noted that I also have TRD sways which I believe help maintain stability as well. I suspect that with stock springs the KYB shocks would suit your needs better than the Bilsteins, especially if you are looking for a smooth ride. The Bilstein would serve better if you want to drive your car more aggressively through twisting terrains. For everyday driving and touring, KYBs would be better.
Old 11-08-17, 12:26 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I had KYB excel gs on my car when I bought it. They were comfortable and compliant but to soft for my taste. If you're looking for a stock ride and can't wait for the Bilsteins get those. The Bilsteins will be a lot nicer though. I don't know anyone who has been dis-satisfied after installing anything made by them
Old 11-08-17, 09:31 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would highly recommend the Bilstein B6 HD shocks, if you want less lean and more-confident handling with stock springs. See my thread here (I just changed my original shocks to the B6 units on my stock '98 GS4 with 106K).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-98-gs400.html

I'm sure you'll notice an improvement with new stock or KYB shocks if your current units are old with lots of miles. However, to summarize the above thread, I believe I gave up maybe 10-15% in Lexus cush in exchange for 100% better handling with the B6 units. The difference felt like fatter sway bars had been installed. As stated above, if you value a softer, more compliant ride, then stock or KYB will probably be preferable. For a more confident handling car, but a little give-up on the cush, the Bilstein B6 HD is the way to go. Just note there are 2 perch positions to choose from on these. Bilstein apparently routinely delivers them with the perch in the upper position - your car will look silly high if you leave them there (imho - from experience, unfortunately, but fixed now). Several members have confirmed (me included) that the lower perch mount will give you a more stock ride height.

Of course, whatever you do on the rear, you will have to also do on the front to keep things matched. I noted that at least one of the Bilstein B6 parts (cant' remember front or rear) was on "clearance" at shock warehouse when I bought mine a few months back. I hope they haven't discontinued these. I know Eibach has discontined the lowering springs. Please let us know what you decide and your before/after assessment of ride/performance!!
Old 11-15-17, 04:58 PM
twsti321
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information keep on coming..
Old 11-15-17, 06:55 PM
dropthatta
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally like KYB. Slightly stiffer than stock, but not as harsh as the billies
Old 11-17-17, 02:24 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Thanks for the inputs. I guess I will give it some consideration over the weekend. Currently I have been waiting nearly 6 weeks due to backorder and it looks like a minimum of 3 more before I値l know anything else. I don稚 want to do 2 alignments just because the shocks haven稚 come in on time. And that痴 what it痴 looking like if I keep the stock shocks and put it back together. Car has been inoperative for over a month and I知 having 2JZ withdraws.
Old 11-20-17, 06:19 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Where did you order from? It looks like tire rack has the B6 in stock right now
Old 11-27-17, 07:24 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Shockwarehouse is where I ordered from. Tirerack has been- and I just checked today- continues to show that these shocks are on back order and there is no eta shown on their website.
Old 11-28-17, 01:33 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Summit Racing is saying they have them in stock as well as AutoAnything.com. Summit Racing is also offering a low price guarantee so you could try and have them price match Auto Anything's price of $112.79 F $128.79 R. That will save you $12.18 per shock on the fronts and $11.18 per shock on the rears.
Old 11-29-17, 06:57 AM
twsti321
Driver School Candidate

How is the Bilstein B6 with Eibach springs vs the coilover?
Old 11-29-17, 07:52 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're using springs that are lower than stock, use the Bilstein B8. Its the same thing as the B6 but designed for lowering springs.
Old 11-30-17, 10:32 AM
twsti321
Driver School Candidate

Which one is better for all round b8 or b6?
Old 11-30-17, 10:50 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Summit racing doesn稚 have them as I called weeks ago and confirmed. Reconfirmed today. I then called Bilstein to understand what was going on. Bilstein corporately is out of these pending production/assembly of new stock from Germany. Unless someone has some left over, you will not find any until Jan/Feb.

Quick Reply: Strut recommendations - stock height / daily use