GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking for powered sub woofer suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 11:22 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Looking for powered sub woofer suggestions.

Before I ask I want to note that I've been doing some searching on powered sub GS300. I really haven't found anything and most of the threads I have found that deal with adding a sub and amp are usually 5+ years old.

Last week I replaced the stock stereo with a JVC head unit and put some 4" kicker speakers in the front and rear doors. Because I had to by-pass the factory amp the car has no bass to speak of. Now I'm looking at adding a powered sub in the trunk just to give a little base kick. No audiophile here and no need to make the rear view mirror rattle, just looking to get a little bass and I'm also looking to only spend about $200 for the sub and wiring kit.

I came across this on Amazon and the reviews seem pretty good. I'm just hoping that the fact that it's in the trunk behind the seats that I would still hear the bass pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AQ2W2Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IJTKGQVTJ4TAI&colid=3ESO1P6B5Y4K https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AQ2W2Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IJTKGQVTJ4TAI&colid=3ESO1P6B5Y4K

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-10-17, 07:47 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
most of the threads I have found that deal with adding a sub and amp are usually 5+ years old.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
That's because this car hasn't been in production since 2005 so nothing has changed.

I would suggest reading the threads because all the information on selecting and installing an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer is there.

With 300W RMS you will have no issue hearing the bass.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (09-14-22)
Old 08-15-17, 08:07 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I recently upgraded my blown sub with an Alpine MRV-M500 amp and Alpine SWS-10D2 sub and have been happy with the results. There is plenty of bass which can easily overpower the stock speakers and it was a pretty easy install. I can send you some pics later if you want
QLex300 (09-14-22)
Old 08-15-17, 08:24 AM
afgcfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I recently upgraded my blown sub with an Alpine MRV-M500 amp and Alpine SWS-10D2 sub and have been happy with the results. There is plenty of bass which can easily overpower the stock speakers and it was a pretty easy install. I can send you some pics later if you want
Did you hook this up to your stock system or do you have an aftermarket setup?
Old 08-15-17, 09:15 AM
caverman
Instructor

Sure, post pics if you have. I'm assuming you put the sub in the stock sub location?

I have a JL400 amp sitting on the shelf that I took out of another car. I might put in a powered sub and then if the bass is too much that it drowns out the door speakers I could possibly add the JL to give them a boost.
Old 08-15-17, 11:25 AM
captainva
Instructor

Its hooked up to the stock system. I have the Mark Levinson sound and nav so changing to anything aftermarket is basically impossible. The amp is hooked up to the line level output from the factory sub wiring and then outputs to the new sub mounted in the deck. I still need to build a box which I'm going to hang from the deck under the sub. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. Right now without the box its kind of lazy and doesn't have the same punch without the box but still plenty of volume.
Old 08-15-17, 01:24 PM
SamsonLow
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With that budget I would honestly look at Craigslist. You can find some pretty good deals there. I would segues having someone go with you to check it out that has car audio experience and the best would be a system that is easy to take out so it can be removed and the crags list gear can be tested before buying. Nothing worse than buying broken car audio.
Old 08-17-17, 08:26 AM
captainva
Instructor

Here are the photos of the sub installed in the rear deck. All of the wiring is hidden behind the trunk liner

QLex300 (09-14-22)
Old 08-17-17, 08:30 AM
afgcfan
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thank you so much for the pics. Gotta try this, I have the ML without the Navi and I dont want to gut the whole system to get more bass.
Old 08-17-17, 09:06 AM
caverman
Instructor

Here are the photos of the sub installed in the rear deck. All of the wiring is hidden behind the trunk liner

I like the way the amp was mounted.
Old 08-17-17, 09:22 AM
afgcfan
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to just disconnect the stock sub and get the alpine amp to hook up to a boxed sub using the wiring method you used?
Old 08-17-17, 09:51 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by afgcfan
Is there a way to just disconnect the stock sub and get the alpine amp to hook up to a boxed sub using the wiring method you used?
Yes. Thats how its wired right now. The fuzzy looking wire with the electrical tape in the second pic of the amp is the old wire that went to the factory sub. The factory sub wire is connected to the speaker level in of the alpine amp and the output wire of the amp is connected to the sub. The wiring to a sub in a box would be the same. You just need to make sure that whatever amp you end up buying is capable of speaker level input.
Old 08-17-17, 09:55 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by caverman
I like the way the amp was mounted.
Its mounted using bolts going through the rear deck and some of the 3M automotive foam tape on the backside of the amp to make sure that the sub doesn't rattle. You will have to drill a few holes in the deck to make this work.
Old 08-17-17, 10:41 AM
afgcfan
Driver School Candidate

Yes. Thats how its wired right now. The fuzzy looking wire with the electrical tape in the second pic of the amp is the old wire that went to the factory sub. The factory sub wire is connected to the speaker level in of the alpine amp and the output wire of the amp is connected to the sub. The wiring to a sub in a box would be the same. You just need to make sure that whatever amp you end up buying is capable of speaker level input.
Thank you that makes it easy to understand, I will be doing this soon hopefully with similar results!
Old 08-17-17, 01:35 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just finished my sub install this week, very easy to do. Like Muffinizer, I used a line out converter from the factory sub wires and plugged it into the amp. This was my first sub/amp install and it was cake. You can have a really great sub/amp setup if you get a used set from Craigslist or the FB marketplace.

Quick Reply: Looking for powered sub woofer suggestions.