GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Spray Paint for bumper cracks and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 10:42 PM
firelizard

Received 432 Likes on 345 Posts

For what it's worth, just remove the fog lamps and turn signals. Way easier than masking. It's only two screws per fog lamp, and the bumper lights can be squeezed and pushed out from behind by reaching behind the fender liner. The chrome trim comes out easily too, it's two-sided tape. If it's faded, that's a good time to replace it.
Old 08-09-17, 12:18 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a small can of the base and another of clear and did a blend on my back bumper and it looked great. Of course I used to paint cars in college so I kinda have the knack of it. I used a small volume spray gun from HF.

For my front bumper, I just ordered a bumper off of eBay painted to my paint code. That worked out great!
Old 08-09-17, 01:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceb58
I bought a small can of the base and another of clear and did a blend on my back bumper and it looked great. Of course I used to paint cars in college so I kinda have the knack of it. I used a small volume spray gun from HF.

For my front bumper, I just ordered a bumper off of eBay painted to my paint code. That worked out great!
Hey Bruce, My neighbor just told about a seller on Ebay that sells painted bumpers.. So i looked the other night.. Sure enough, Painted tri-coat front bumper was $266 shipped. Definitely something to think about in the future.
Old 08-09-17, 04:50 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Hey Bruce, My neighbor just told about a seller on Ebay that sells painted bumpers.. So i looked the other night.. Sure enough, Painted tri-coat front bumper was $266 shipped. Definitely something to think about in the future.
My bumper doesn't match perfectly since the car is 12 years old and the bumper is brand new but it's close enough for me. Looks WAY better that the old chipped scraped up bumper. Of course withing one month of putting it on, I hit a fairly high parking stop with it. Scraped the bottom of it.
Old 08-31-17, 06:18 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parchment '03

Originally Posted by firelizard
It's not going to match. Professional bodyshops have enough trouble matching tri-coat white, there's no chance a base/clear rattle can kit will match. That being said, if you are smart and careful about how you apply it, you can blend it in reasonably well to camouflage the difference. For example, if you blended up to just below the moulding, where the bumper is slightly recessed, there is a natural shift in how the paint shows because of the shadow. You can take advantage of this to minimize the contrast between the new paint and the original paint. Even a colour matched blend will not be identical to factory though.
I had hail damage on roof and doors. Since I have had other insurance paint/body work done at dealer with really great results at what I thought were reasonable prices. I have the tri-coat and my lower front was toast after 130K highway miles and I am not good with DIY paint things. Dealer did the whole lower for $238, which I thought was really good, but one of reasons is that they do not have to remove it to paint it.
Old 08-31-17, 09:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by yelnoc
I had hail damage on roof and doors. Since I have had other insurance paint/body work done at dealer with really great results at what I thought were reasonable prices. I have the tri-coat and my lower front was toast after 130K highway miles and I am not good with DIY paint things. Dealer did the whole lower for $238, which I thought was really good, but one of reasons is that they do not have to remove it to paint it.

That is a great price. The Lexus dealer did that? I may have to go that route.. There is just to many pant chips do just fix one area.. The whole bumper really needs to be done..
Old 09-01-17, 04:28 AM
yelnoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
That is a great price. The Lexus dealer did that? I may have to go that route.. There is just to many pant chips do just fix one area.. The whole bumper really needs to be done..
Yes the dealer. I mis-stated the amount and double checked the invoice and it was actually $285 (there was no breakout for that amount) - still a bargain for me. Mine too had lots of chips, a minor scrape and a bigger problem where I got to close to what I thought was a bug or tar with the power wash wand and peeled away about an inch long place. Chips, etc. really noticeable on white/parchment cars, but I really love the color - bright white kind of metallic pearl in the sun and an almost different color in the shade. Mine is '03 430 that I have had since '06 and put 100K on it - next decision is coming with tires because I need wheels as my second set (first replaced by dealer) of 17" chrome wheels have bad peeling like the first set. Dealer offered another set at half off but that's too much for wheels that even with the best care are really prone to bubbling and peeling. I'd really like a IS or GS F model but for the money and the fact that my old car still drives like it did when I got it.