GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 07:51 PM
jotani70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horror Stories

Hi all, I am considering purchasing a GS300/400/430 and wanted to hear the horror stories sometimes overlooked when buying a car. I didn't really pay attention when purchasing my current VW TDI. I am just curious to hear everyone's input and their experience with their GS. Other than routine maintenance what are things to keep an eye on? If i buy one I would probably do small mods, Coilovers, intake/exhaust, wheels any suggested parts to buy or not to buy?

Thanks all.
Old 08-06-16, 07:57 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2001 GS430 with 187,000 miles, bullet proof transmission and engine, keep your eye on the front suspension parts. Absolutely the best car I ever had.
Old 08-06-16, 09:08 PM
5280Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I know you have been hurt, but these aren't VWs. You'll be alright, you're safe now from meanie Germans...
Old 08-07-16, 04:24 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

it's a 15 year old luxury car. repairs are expensive (unless you DIY).

it's simple:
owners who takes pride in their vehicles keep records
lexus also maintains a database for all maintenance done at their dealers... https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/register
choose a lexus with maintenance records showing it's been well taken care of throughout it's history
and there will be no horror stories.

beware: lexus fever is real and can lead to a buying mistake
yes, you will feel great cruising in your new ride
and yes, hot Asian women will flock to it just like in the movies
but you must be patient and stay focused on finding 'the right' lexus

that way your story too will have a happy ending

Last edited by liazon; 08-09-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-07-16, 04:37 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have spent about 2k worth on repairs / maintenance since I bought this car 2 months ago.. but I literally fixed everything i could find
Old 08-07-16, 08:37 PM
5280Lexus
Driver School Candidate

180K on mine, bought it 2 weeks ago. New O2, diagnostic (happened to be free), Oil control valve and a leaky gasket somewhere on near the belt system, >$200.

Toyota's are not expensive to fix when compared to it's rivals when new. (BMW, Audi, MB, Saab, Volvo). Plus, most of this stuff has a DIY somewhere, once you narrow it down. The OBD2 Diags are nice to have done to identify any weird issues, but the techstream software can show you passed issues (assuming they weren't cleared) by a toyo or lex dealership ( you can also buy it online or a membership too). So far, this is the best 15 year old car I ever bought when it comes to repairs.
Old 08-08-16, 08:08 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

No problems here. 1999 GS400 with 220,500 miles. Just got back from a beach trip yesterday. I have a spreadsheet with every repair ever done going back 16 years. Keep an eye on the ball joints and the power steering high pressure return line (common problem areas). Other than that I have no plans to ever sell it. Even if I get a newer car one day I will always keep my GS.
Old 08-08-16, 09:27 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kevin3344
No problems here. 1999 GS400 with 220,500 miles. Just got back from a beach trip yesterday. I have a spreadsheet with every repair ever done going back 16 years. Keep an eye on the ball joints and the power steering high pressure return line (common problem areas). Other than that I have no plans to ever sell it. Even if I get a newer car one day I will always keep my GS.
I believe the power steering high pressure return line issue only applies to the GS400 model. The 300 and 430 shouldn't have that issue.
Old 08-08-16, 01:33 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

01 52k when I bought it. Alternator (Stealership wanted $400 for a REMAN OEM.) Exhaust leak. Steering wheel shake (which I have not alleviated yet).
****ty Fischer Price brakes and tires (will wait till they wear) the dealer I bought the car from put on. About 800$ so far.

Then there is the strange/funny one. I was getting a horrible smell in the cabin after 100 mile or more trips. It would be SO much worse when using recircle.
It was also SO much worse in the trunk. To me, it smelled like Stanley Steamer chemicals, or some ****. It happened a few times before I realized the trunk was the worst. I tore everything out and was reminded that there were coffee beans spilled (or placed) in the bottom compartments. I had not put 2 and 2 together. Vacuumed those ****ers out. MUCH better now. Man, i was worried something was up with the HVAC as that smell was not organic, to me.
Old 08-08-16, 01:39 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AmanO
01 52k when I bought it. Alternator (Stealership wanted $400 for a REMAN OEM.) Exhaust leak. Steering wheel shake (which I have not alleviated yet).
****ty Fischer Price brakes and tires (will wait till they wear) the dealer I bought the car from put on. About 800$ so far.

Then there is the strange/funny one. I was getting a horrible smell in the cabin after 100 mile or more trips. It would be SO much worse when using recircle.
It was also SO much worse in the trunk. To me, it smelled like Stanley Steamer chemicals, or some ****. It happened a few times before I realized the trunk was the worst. I tore everything out and was reminded that there were coffee beans spilled (or placed) in the bottom compartments. I had not put 2 and 2 together. Vacuumed those ****ers out. MUCH better now. Man, i was worried something was up with the HVAC as that smell was not organic, to me.
How did coffee beans get spilled down there? are you talking about the area near the spare tire?
Old 08-08-16, 01:54 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
How did coffee beans get spilled down there? are you talking about the area near the spare tire?
Yes. In the spare compartment and two adjoining ones. I have no idea if/how they actually got there. The mats seal that tight enough that I wonder if the last owner put them in there on purpose.

I thought it would not be a big deal. Hell, coffee beans are used to CLEANS fragrance from your nose.

Old 08-08-16, 04:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jotani70
Hi all, I am considering purchasing a GS300/400/430 and wanted to hear the horror stories sometimes overlooked when buying a car. I didn't really pay attention when purchasing my current VW TDI. I am just curious to hear everyone's input and their experience with their GS. Other than routine maintenance what are things to keep an eye on? If i buy one I would probably do small mods, Coilovers, intake/exhaust, wheels any suggested parts to buy or not to buy?

Thanks all.
When I saw your thread title I got a chuckle because I'm thinking, "horror stories"? What horror stories? There usually aren't any. But after reading your post, that you're coming from a German brand... I figured you want to be careful with a luxury car purchase.

So adding to the previous posts which should give you a pretty good idea about what the GS is about, you'll likely find the answer is with you.

If you're looking for a nice mild cruiser with all the quality that Lexus brought, then the 300 is your car. It would have been nice with a manual transmission but it only comes with an automatic. And it's got a sweet Supra six cylinder. For more performance you go to the brash GS400, and for the best of both worlds go with a GS430.

This is a nice sticky at the top of the GS forum you can browse for additional info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-thread.html.

Generally what you're looking for is a car that's had its maintenance documented by the person who's selling it. Lower mileage is nice but not a must because age doesn't affect these cars if they have been religiously maintained.

You need to make sure the timing belt and water pump were done, and that there are no suspension issues. Other than that you would be looking at the normal maintenance and wear/tear items on a car that's now between 11 and 17 years old.

Mine's 14 years old. Spent $4K over the last three years including Pilot Sport AS3 ZR summer tires. Both catalytic converters, complete fluid change, and my own labor on spark plugs, cleaning maf sensor and throttle plate/intake, new battery. And that's about it. Body's great and doesn't burn or leak a drop of fluid that I can see.

Never left me stranded and always warns me that something is going wrong before it happens. I'll be changing my driver's door lock actuator soon when it gets here.

Last edited by MattyG; 08-08-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-08-16, 09:17 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default Just bought mine

I just bought mine about 4 weeks ago, searched forever, found one with 64k miles on it, 2002 Lexus GS300. Inside MINT condition, outside needs a little work. I paid 6700 bux for it, not bad, but like many it is 14 years old, so I put a new alternator in it. I lowered it so switched out to new BC racing coilovers, so the suspension issues were all checked, which seems to be one of the biggest things with the LEXUS. So have someone check the ball joints and suspension. I bought the lexus because it is tried and true of the most bullet proof engines and transmissions and there are many out there with 200 and 300k miles on them. I have an odd brake issue that I will be tracking down, buzzing and brake pedal vibrates on slow turning stops, and it is common on the lexus, so check the braking and turning when you buy one, engine should look good, no leaks bottom and top, drive it at highway speeds, Vibration in the Steering wheel is common on the car, most of mine was fixed with new rims, tires and roadforce balancing but I still have a slight vibration, nothing major. I will end up putting about 1k into the car to get it Mechanically sound, so about 7700. The rest is all money I put in for the looks of the car. Check the maintenance, oil changes, look for batteries and alternators being repeatedly changed, make sure the timing belt was done over 100k miles. Overall you cant go wrong with these cars and if you dont go to a LEXUS DEALER for repairs there are plenty of parts available used and new and it is relatively cheap to fix vs BMW AUDI ETC, and riding in my lexus you feel a 50k dollar luxury car which is awesome at 14 years old, not many cars and still feel that way after 14 years. Just have it checked out, its a solid car for sure and you can get them for a good deal.
Old 08-09-16, 01:10 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaking tranny and brake master cylinder. These aren't so bulletproof after all.
Combined the repair costs of both of them exceeds the amount I paid for this car, so not worth it.

Overall I'm happy with it. I've changed almost every suspension part in front and rear. I've never taken it to dealer except when I had to repair a dent in my left rear corner and when I confirmed the leak in BMC.
You'll save a ton of money if you can do small repairs yourself.
Old 08-09-16, 02:19 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

These are super reliable, in fact their unreliable aspects are reliable. You'll spend lots of money on front suspension, the V8s use up their starters, your Nakamichi amp will drop the front speakers, you might replace a window actuator. Generally a car that you drive everyday, take care of it and it virtually never quits.

Quick Reply: Horror Stories