GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting window tint. Can i remove the back window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 04:43 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting window tint. Can i remove the back window tint?

My back factory tint is bubbling and i am worried about the window defroster lines. They are charging me 30$ to remove the tint. But i want to know if i can just peel it off myself to save some money
Old 10-30-15, 05:45 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Yes you can, but for $30 I wouldn't. If you scratch those lines that go across the window you will lose the defroster.
Old 10-31-15, 01:41 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a mobile tinting company, reason i ask is cause i feel like they might mess it up also.. So if it wouldnt be that hard i would rather do it myself then pay someone 30$ to possibly damage it

Last edited by gsean400; 10-31-15 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 08:39 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Find a legit shop to remove it if your not comfortable with them. Use someone that will guarantee their work. If your gonna do it yourself cut open a trash bag or plastic and lay it over the back panel under the window so you dont get it dirty. Spray lots of Windex over the window tint. It has to sit for a while in the sun or it's easier with a heat gun. Then slowly pull the tint off spraying more Windex on the areas between the window and the tint. If pull slowly and at the right angles the glue sticks to the tint and leaves your window clean. Use a razor to remove the access glue. Ive also seen green scotch brite used. But like I said earlier pay someone if you want your rear defrosters to work.

Last edited by lexo98; 10-31-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 06:32 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
Find a legit shop to remove it if your not comfortable with them. Use someone that will guarantee their work. If your gonna do it yourself cut open a trash bag or plastic and lay it over the back panel under the window so you dont get it dirty. Spray lots of Windex over the window tint. It has to sit for a while in the sun or it's easier with a heat gun. Then slowly pull the tint off spraying more Windex on the areas between the window and the tint. If pull slowly and at the right angles the glue sticks to the tint and leaves your window clean. Use a razor to remove the access glue. Ive also seen green scotch brite used. But like I said earlier pay someone if you want your rear defrosters to work.
i used to mobile tint also... and its a pain to remove the rear tint...

if you want to do it yourself, you need to create an oven and soften the glue so it peels right off and doesn't damage the defroster lines...

you will need two big black plastic bags and mix up a spray bottle of 50/50 ammonia and water...

1.) lay the first bag over the rear deck like lexo said above...
2.) soak the tint with the ammonia mixture... make sure all doors are open and you wear mask and eye protection... you will pass out from the fumes if it isn't well ventilated... once you soak the tint, the black bag you had laying on the rear deck, press it against the tint... the spray solution will hold the garbage bag against the tint.. (think of it like you are tinting you tint with the garbage bag)...
3.) then on the outside... spray the solution on the window and then put the second black bag on the outside of the rear window... you are only spraying the outside window to hold the bag on... now what you have from the outside is (black bag/rear window/tint/black bag) all sandwiched together...
4.) go park that rear window in the sun to bake it... try to get it at high noon when the sun is the highest/strongest...

by doing this, you are creating a tight oven in between the tint and window to soften the glue... after 20 mins just check to see if it is ready... try to peel the tint from the top corner... if it comes off easy, it's ready... if you peel and it feels still hard, let it bake for another 20 mins... the tint should come off smoothly and you should have very little residue left on the window... remember be patient and let the sun/heat help you... don't just go yanking it off...

btw also an added step that may help you since you said the tint is bubbling... if they are big bubbles (say the size of a penny or larger... take a small pin and make a hole in the center of each of the bubbles... this will help when you bake the tint, the ammonia vapor can go inside the hole and work the glue from the inside... it should help it move a lot faster...

hope that helps...
Old 11-05-15, 07:04 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I removed my tint myself. Watch videos using the trash bag. I did it and it work like a charm. I saved $150 removing my own tint.