GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VSC, Trac Off, CEL Lights + Limp Mode - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 07:30 AM
CdnAristo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC, Trac Off, CEL Lights + Limp Mode - Help!

Hi all,

From my poking around of the internet, I know that the VSC/TRAC OFF/CEL + limp mode combination is popular on the GS300.

I have a 1998 Toyota Aristo 2JZ-GE with 114k km that is having this problem but it only seems to happen when it is braking.

Long story: A few days ago, I was sitting at a red light when I had the CEL turn on followed by a couple seconds later the VSC and TRAC OFF lights before the car fell into limp mode and I could not accelerate over 5km an hour. I pulled over and turned the car off, waited a moment and turned the car back on, where the lights did not come back on/no limp mode.

Since the first day, I have had the combination + limp mode on and off, sometimes it happens a couple times in a row after turning it off and turning that car on again. Sometimes I can drive a few km and the car does not throw lights at all. I tend to find that the CEL/VSC/TRAC OFF/Limp Mode only occurs when I'm braking or at a dead stop. I was able to have limp mode show up when I was slowing down twice, but for the most part, it was only when I was stopped did the CEL/VSC/TRAC OFF and limp mode occur.

I have combed the internet and found that a good few people referencing the throttle body sensors/motors. And while I have an Aristo, the parts from a Lexus GS300 are plug and play for engine. So I found a donor car and took the entire throttle body assembly off of it and put it into mine. After starting it up and driving it, the first time I pulled no lights. However, the next day I got the issue all over again with the VSC/CEL/TRAC OFF + limp mode. It only happened when I was braking and twice when I was slowing down/foot on the brake. I will try to disconnect the battery tonight, to see if this may be a minor issue.

Finally, for the display that reads your temperature controls, it throws an error message when I go into limp mode; "Electronic engine control system malfunction" followed by "VSC system malfunction".

I am temped to go back to the donor car to get the ABS sensors for the four wheels as I have read that this may be a fault too.

Is there anyone that can help me that maybe had a similar problem? With the entire throttle motor/sensor/body replaced I am also leaning towards one of the wires being bad maybe. But the fact that it seems to only happen when I am braking/stopped is only more confusing.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by CdnAristo; 09-04-15 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 03:09 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the USDM 16 chassis doesn't have that light so I'm afraid information here might be scarce also...

Anyways, is the ABS light on? If not, it might not be the ABS sensor that you are suspecting. If it's the CEL, VSC, and TRC (and no ABS light), I would suspect more towards the throttle... I think you already tried replacing the Throttle Position Sensor or Accelerator Position Sensor but it just might not be set at the right voltage. It's a long thread but this thread has additional information around the TPS/APP.
Old 09-04-15, 03:12 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS: Just did a quick google in Japanese but seems like there are some Aristo owners with this issue and most point towards the throttle. There was one freak case where they said it ended up being an aftermarket navigation unit's speed sensor somehow...

Also, get the code pulled. You'll need the expensive code reader for those ABS / VSC codes, but it should give you a better sense as to what's actually triggering the issue.