GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Odd starting problems after my last "starter replacement" thread anyone chime in? Thx

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 03:10 PM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd starting problems after my last "starter replacement" thread anyone chime in? Thx

Whats up guys so if anyone can recall my starter issue I was having where I found my starter literally MELTED, NO joke... The metal actually became liquid, anyhow I replaced the starter and things were Great. Replaced the battery as well as got my alternator rebuilt and actually upgraded to a higher amp. Which used a dodge vans stator and what not taking the amps up-to just about 140 if im not mistaken, of anyone One would like exact details feel free and I'll be happy to check it all up for you. BUT! NEW ISSUE! I was driving my car all night pretty long distance on the freeway for about a good hour, and let ME add Just because this may be important, I did have a power inverter plugged in to charge my cell phone. But when I got home I sat in my car for about 15 min, inverter still plugged in as well I'll JUSY note, (may not even matter but) I went to start the car and it was odd everything in the car lit Up completely bright as normal, DEF. Seemed like full voltage K, but no click, no crank nothing, Turned the key a few more times and nothing, not even a crank, no sound of fuel pump turning, nothing. Took the key out, unhooked the battery for a bit then tried again and same thing, nothing.... I sat pissed off and layed back in KY seat for about 10 min before I was going to just walk in but decided I'd try One more time, turned the key nothing, One more time and crank. Car suddenly started....... Was the oddest thing ever, almost as if the new starter was stuck, yet OT didn't even make a click sound K. (seems like a battery problem right I know) but car started, ran normal, say whatever well see if IY happens tomorrow. This time went to start the car and it cranked initially as if it had a bad battery, full crank for a SPLIT second to just a slow to then nothing crank. Tested the battery and it's at 12.57v ..... Thats normal right? Took it to Kragen to have them charge it and they as well told me no need man battery's good.... So I decided heck I have a ECU from a friend's car he gave me maybe all my jumps from my. Previous issues caused some issue with this ECU, so here's what I found: once I got the ecu box open and started pulling the connectors I noticed that the first set of wires on the first plug of wires was actually dripping in some sort of oil! Odd no? Just the connection, no where else, pulled a fewlmore to get my ECU out and noticed a few more were the same!

See all that oil? It drained out like that after I flipped it upside down for a bit to drain down AJD sure enough it did....

Anyhow first off what can that all be? Why lol is there oil ONLY in the plugs and how would it even get there hahaha but second does anyone think this could have anything to do with this issue? I'm going to blow out the harness ends to get all whatever that oil may be out and try connecting the new ecu and I'll report what will happen K! Any comments welcome!
Old 08-14-15, 03:14 PM
Category5
Driver

Here's a few more pics of the harness end too, you can clearly see that there is some oil Up in there that needs to be blown out... But where the heck did it even come. From lol

All those dark spots at the bottom section is oil (some sort of oil not sure if it's even motor oil) that shouldn't be there.... It should obviously all look Just white... Haha I dunno guys

Oh and incase anyone wanted a link to the original thread regarding my first starter: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...used-this.html

Last edited by Category5; 08-14-15 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 02:32 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like maybe the capacitors in the ECU leaked out?

Open the box.
Old 08-23-15, 11:21 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by angus
Looks like maybe the capacitors in the ECU leaked out?

Open the box.
Really? Wow thats not good right? What would cause that to happen? Well here's an update to what my issue evidently was! I guess it was just my key, and my car being in some sort of security mode and wouldn't allow. The car to crank