Weird keyless entry problem - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird keyless entry problem

Old 03-02-15, 03:59 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

Default Weird keyless entry problem

Hello all, I have owned my 99 gs400 for a little over a month and I love it. I have only had one problem which is the starter which I have not replaced yet. Anyway, yesterday I started having a problem with my keyless entry. It has worked fine the whole time I've had the car then all of a sudden it's acting screwy. It began when I got out and tried to lock the car with the fob.....nothing, red light on fob so it's working. Lock, unlock, trunk button do nothing. All actuators work because switch on drivers door still locks and unlocks everything. Checked all fuses, went online to try to figure out how to reprogram fob, found it, still no luck......but while trying to reprogram, realized that if I lock the car from the drivers door first and get out and close the door, everything on the fob works again until I hit the unlock button which at that point will unlock the car, and put down all of the windows and slide the sunroof back, then the fob will not work again until I lock the doors with the switch. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*NOTE*
Also, the problem is happening with both of my master keys, so doesn't seem like the fobs need to be reprogrammed. Seems like something on the cars end.

Last edited by Bullitt180; 03-02-15 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 04:27 AM
heybro
Rookie

Could be door actuator motors dying. I used to have to manually lock my drivers door to get the remote to work before I replaced mine...
Old 03-02-15, 05:19 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

All actuators seem to be working fine as they all 4 lock and unlock perfectly when I use the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door.

*NOTE*
I noticed this morning when I left for work that the fob to car communication worked perfectly for 2 lock/unlock cycles and then went back to the issue stated above.
Old 03-02-15, 09:26 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Fanatic

I second a actuator. I've had the same problem for quite a while and too must lock the driver door manually for the fob to work and yup, works intermittently. Also, try opening each door and making sure that each door turns the dome lights on, IIRC the actuator is the unit that has the door "open/close" sensor on it.
Old 03-02-15, 10:47 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

All doors activate the dome light, how would I determine which actuator in which door is causing my problem?

And why the hell is it making my windows roll down and my sunroof slide back?
Old 06-06-15, 08:22 AM
MRCDWJR
Rookie

I don't think they understand the problem. Its not the actuators because they wouldn't make all of the windows roll down. I'm experiencing the same thing. If the door actuators were failing, when you unlock, you will still hear the other good motors/door locks working or attempting to unlock/lock. What we're experiencing is NO activity is present randomly. For example, I walked to my car and unlocked with the key fob. Arrived to destination and attempted to lock the door. No activity whatsoever. No sounds or anything. It seems as though my key fob didn't work at all. Trunk release button wasn't working either. Key fob light turns on when pressing but thats about it. And sometimes all of the windows including the sunroof will open. This is not a symptom of a bad actuator. A few months ago i replaced my actuators because during that time they were going bad. You would hear the locks attempting to work.
Old 06-06-15, 05:42 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Try changing your fob battery? I know you said the red light illuminates but just saying that it would be an easy possibility to rule out and inexpensive.

Also, any difference if you hold the fob up to your chin and press a button (since the signal gets amplified)?

You're right, if it were an actuator at least you would still hear the lock try to open. And yours work the button inside the vehicle. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck!
Old 08-31-15, 05:58 PM
dreamcar88
Lead Lap

bumping this thread. I have to manually lock my driver door. If i use the fob it will unlock all the doors except the rear passenger door. any ideas? The fob will also not lock the doors. The door lock and panic button seem to be smushed in a bit as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird keyless entry problem

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: