SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need a little help with keyless/door locks plz..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 11:38 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need a little help with keyless/door locks plz..

So my car has been having this issue recently. The key less doesn't work anymore and neither does the inner electric switch on the door. If i try to lock with the electric door switch, you can see the lock attempting to close, but it doesn't. Almost like it doesn't have enough power. Sometimes I can get the passenger side to lock and unlock but recently nothing works and it all has to be closed/opened with the key manually or manually closing it from the inside. I'm starting to think it might be something with the electric door lock mechanism on the drivers side since that never works.

So to reiterate...no keyless, no electronic closing or opening of doors. when you try with switch or keyless is "tries" to open or close but doesnt. Factory alarm still works normally and LED begins flashing when I manually lock both doors.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this?

All input greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-10, 02:08 AM
smigu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I just fixed this exact problem. The same kind of symptoms: lock button tried to lock the drivers side door, but didn't seem to have enought power.

It is in the electric door lock mechanism as you thought. Mine had a crack in the critical plastic part that is moved by the electric motor. It should be a tight fit around the axle which operates the mechanical locks, but it had cracked and had almost no friction at all. I tried to mold the plastic around the axle with Dremel Versatip, but it just cracked again. Finally I just joked about putting a zip tie around the plastic part and it worked!

I recommend just buying a used one that works. It's not easy to repair and it most likely doesn't last long.
It is a pain in the butt getting the lock mechanism out of the door without removing the window (rail) which ever way you are going to proceed. If you unscrew the window rail from the bottom you can do it though.

Damn... I knew I should have taken some pictures of the repair.
Old 05-15-10, 06:42 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smigu
Yeah, I just fixed this exact problem. The same kind of symptoms: lock button tried to lock the drivers side door, but didn't seem to have enought power.

It is in the electric door lock mechanism as you thought. Mine had a crack in the critical plastic part that is moved by the electric motor. It should be a tight fit around the axle which operates the mechanical locks, but it had cracked and had almost no friction at all. I tried to mold the plastic around the axle with Dremel Versatip, but it just cracked again. Finally I just joked about putting a zip tie around the plastic part and it worked!

I recommend just buying a used one that works. It's not easy to repair and it most likely doesn't last long.
It is a pain in the butt getting the lock mechanism out of the door without removing the window (rail) which ever way you are going to proceed. If you unscrew the window rail from the bottom you can do it though.

Damn... I knew I should have taken some pictures of the repair.
So is this the door actuator that you are referring to? I want to order a new part but I need to know what part to replace.

Thanks for the great info!
Old 05-15-10, 06:55 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Is this the part you were referring to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-15-10, 07:01 AM
smigu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evileagle
So is this the door actuator that you are referring to? I want to order a new part but I need to know what part to replace.

Thanks for the great info!
No problem.

It is this part:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7906&viewitem=

Just pick the correct side for you car.

edit: Oh, you found the right part yourself.

Last edited by smigu; 05-15-10 at 07:05 AM. Reason: New post
Old 05-15-10, 07:10 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smigu
No problem.

It is this part:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7906&viewitem=

Just pick the correct side for you car.

edit: Oh, you found the right part yourself.

On that link that I posted, there are about 10 pictures of the actuator. Could you point out which area you had the cracked plastic piece? I'm gonna attempt some good old JB weld or something....
Old 05-15-10, 07:30 AM
smigu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evileagle
On that link that I posted, there are about 10 pictures of the actuator. Could you point out which area you had the cracked plastic piece? I'm gonna attempt some good old JB weld or something....
Here are the things i remember about the repair:
- First remove the semi-clear plastic cover (1 screw, 1 lock washer)
- Remove the cable that is attached to the axle. You see the cable in the 7. picture on the upper left corner.
- In the 8. picture you see the 3 screws holding the black cover piece, remove them.
- There are also at least 2 revealed under the clear cover and one is on the other side, remove them also.
- When you take the black cover off, you see the electric motor and gears. Try to hold the axle attached to the black cover from the outer side and rotate the plastic lever on the inner side. If it rotates, it's cracked or worn somehow.
I think you figure it out from now on.
Old 05-15-10, 07:43 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

perfect....that's some great info there....imma give this a shot today...

thanks again for the help
Old 05-17-10, 12:49 PM
smigu
Driver School Candidate

Did you have time to look at it?
I'm just interested if it was the part I was talking about.