GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking for cripser, cleaner bass

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 10:52 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Looking for cripser, cleaner bass

That's what I'm looking for. I just bought a 2000 GS300 that the PO put in a nice Kenwood navigation system and MTX amp pushing the stock sub. However, the bass is very "boomy" (for lack of a better explanation). I want something cleaner and crisper. Is this possible by just replacing the factory sub? I would prefer something dropped into the standard location, not a box.
Old 07-24-14, 12:24 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, and it's been discussed frequently.

search and try the audio forum

keywords: infinite baffle, free air, subwoofer

honestly the sound you're describing for it seems like a 10" sealed in the trunk would be your best friend.
you can maybe get a marine/IB specific application to drop into the stock location but it'll be running at 4ohms, and obviously come with all the downsides of IB/free-air.

good luck.
Old 07-24-14, 01:02 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Thank you. I'll check out the audio section.
Old 07-24-14, 01:55 PM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
That's what I'm looking for. I just bought a 2000 GS300 that the PO put in a nice Kenwood navigation system and MTX amp pushing the stock sub. However, the bass is very "boomy" (for lack of a better explanation). I want something cleaner and crisper. Is this possible by just replacing the factory sub? I would prefer something dropped into the standard location, not a box.
That boomy bass comes with the territory of free air and ported subwoofers. Free air and ported subs give you "boomy" or "thunder" bass. With sealed enclosured you get tight, controlled bass. Clean and crisp bass simply won't come from a free air or ported sub. Since you already have a MTX amp you should check the 4ohms and 2ohms RMS rating of it and match it with a 10" or 12" sub. I bought my 12" sealed enclosure from Crutchfield using their Sound Ordnance line, no complaints here.
Old 07-24-14, 06:21 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offroad200
Thank you. I'll check out the audio section.
My bass was like yours at one point. Till i lined the whole system up with copper wire and boom. super smooth powerful bass. My box is just some **** sealed for 2 12s. If you haven't checked your wiring and it is still aluminum (most shops use it to cut costs) i highly suggest you go the copper wire route. Acoustic Improvements don't always mean more power. Just like anything else, if your support system is garbage, your results will sound like it!
Old 07-24-14, 06:23 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikobangz
That boomy bass comes with the territory of free air and ported subwoofers. Free air and ported subs give you "boomy" or "thunder" bass. With sealed enclosured you get tight, controlled bass. Clean and crisp bass simply won't come from a free air or ported sub. Since you already have a MTX amp you should check the 4ohms and 2ohms RMS rating of it and match it with a 10" or 12" sub. I bought my 12" sealed enclosure from Crutchfield using their Sound Ordnance line, no complaints here.
another good point
Old 07-24-14, 06:54 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Sealed box with a nice subwoofer would do the trick.
Old 07-25-14, 12:05 PM
offroad200
Instructor

After much reading, it sounds like I need to do what I did with my old 92 BMW 525i. For that car, I bought a custom box that seals to the cabin through the ski pass with the sub facing forward. The ports go into the cabin as well. Nice clean tight bass with no trunk rattle. I had a box from the same company in my 87 BMW 325. It was a 12" that hit hard and could barely be heard from outside and zero trunk rattle in a very old car. I don't see any such custom boxes for the GS. My other thought was, since there was a sub in the rear shelf already, somehow build a box around it.
Old 07-25-14, 04:24 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
My bass was like yours at one point. Till i lined the whole system up with copper wire and boom. super smooth powerful bass. My box is just some **** sealed for 2 12s. If you haven't checked your wiring and it is still aluminum (most shops use it to cut costs) i highly suggest you go the copper wire route. Acoustic Improvements don't always mean more power. Just like anything else, if your support system is garbage, your results will sound like it!
Not all ported boxes are boomy, a properly designed ported box can sound just as good as sealed.

My box is sealed to the hole where the factory sub used to be using wood rings around the sub. I cut another hole in the deck for the port. Keeps the trunk from rattling and you get a little bit of the "hatchback effect" firing the sub into the back window glass.