GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

changing bulbs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 10:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewl125
But if brake pads are low and in need of servicing wouldn't that trigger the brake light as well? I thought that with the pads being low the piston in the caliper is over extended causing more brake fluid to sit in the calipers, therefore less fluid in the resevior hence the warning light. Oh well I could be wrong, just making sure that if brake pads are low and topping off the brake fluid will cause an overflow and spillage when new pads are installed.
i will split these to address both individually...yes this is true, as pads wear down more fluid is "required" due to the calipers "flexing" more but my whole point was we STILL dont have a service brake lights or a reminder to service brakes like the LS models do. they have a brake pad sensor....

your reservoir could be a little low already and when you brake it sucks in more OR as we both have said you could be starting to need pads but i have needed pads on my GS and no light was present....when i bought the car and drove it from Manhattan, Ny to Erie,Pa then back home to Memphis, Tn i had to have brakes done (rotors and pads) (since i didnt have tools with me to change them myself) not one light was present....in 2009 i ended up changing the rear pads again due to them being worn, no light, and about 3 months ago i changed the front pads again and yet again no warning light....

it could be something as simple as your reservoir is already low, so check that but also check your pads out

Originally Posted by Andrewl125
Also going back to all halogen bulbs solved my problem, and the light went away within seconds of turing the car on. Now to get rid of my auto-leveling headlight warning light without have to spend $300 for that sensor.
when i switched all my taillights to LED's i got a bulb out....i ended up just pulling the dash bulb and every few months i check the bulbs manually, no big deal

as for the auto leveling sensor, make sure the arm isnt disconnected as mine for some reason was when i bought my car.....didnt have a light (and it wasnt missing from the cluster either and i know the bulb works btw)