GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The 2GS, a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 05:52 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol so true. if you guys haven't noticed already, since 01 till now, the gs is the only car that has been remodeled with a newer version. 4 to be exact.

well the is too with the 2014 model coming out. but the gs has a timeless body work of art..
Old 06-03-13, 06:37 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Lexus really did their homework with this cars design and powerplant. They slipped a bit on the suspension engineering and kept that flaw hidden for quite some time. However, they made a bold statement and a bold sales pitch when it first dropped. I remember back in 98 when the "wicked" commercial came out, I was floored at the car and thought it would take years for other luxo car makers to catch up. The 400, without a doubt is one of the best cars Lexus ever built. It set a precedent on the way cars look even today. At that time it was built, a V8 pushing 300hp out of a production sedan was groundbreaking. This is the car that woke and shook Germany up. It essentially put Japan on the map of fine tuned luxury cars. However, I personally feel that the 2GS will never become a classic.

Last edited by repugnante; 06-03-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 07:12 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, one of the things that makes a car a classic is the quality of build and the ability of the design to remain aesthetic over time. 25 years later, will the looks and quality of the car hold up? I think it will. Think about how many different ways people mod and customize 60's Impalas. Some of them look horrendous. It doesn't damage the car's status as a classic.
Old 06-03-13, 07:45 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

car is a classic. end of discussion, period, finished...close thread lol. there is NO and i do mean NO other car that was produced in 98 that STILL looks brand new off the lot now. The design is timeless and it doesn't look dated. I do hate he horrible suspension problems though.
Old 06-03-13, 09:02 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a strange feeling this post is going to have alot of responses.......

For me, I completely agree that it should become a classic. But on the other hand, I also hope it doesn't. What makes the GS special is of course the blend of performance, timeless looks, dependability, etc. But also the fact that they are NOT mainstream or known by everyone. How many of us have heard the "that's nice looking, what is it?" or "what year is it, it looks brand new"

I had the same thing with my '91 MR2. Go figure, another Toyota Great looks that only get better with mods AND a great community of owners. Anyone can drive a Maxima, or a Mustang, or Camaro or Civic. The 2GS is Lexus' hidden gem. Everyone that KNOWS cars, loves it for its credentials, and everyone that DOESNT KNOW cars, loves it for its looks.

I do agree with alot of people, I'd like to see less beat up GS's around. I hate driving down the highway, seeing the signature 4 taillights, trying to catch up to get a closer look only to find the car is destroyed, brake dust all over wheels and hasnt been washed for 5 years.

my top 5 Japanese cars that I THINK will be classics:
1. Toyota Supra
2. Nissan Z
3. Toyota MR2
4. Lexus GS
5. Mitsu 3000gt

Keep this going! Great stories so far............
Old 01-08-14, 11:35 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Apparently the SC and LS guys outnumber us.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-classic.html
Old 01-08-14, 12:00 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Man the GS cars are classics ALREADY!!! The reliabilty mixed with superior performance are impeccable! Forget those OVERpriced German PROBLEM boxes.... I'll stay with the "Camry"....
Old 01-08-14, 12:54 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah i feel its one of the best all-around cars. at least that i have owned
Old 01-08-14, 01:46 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is new to me, but I see it got bumped. Depends on how you define a "classic car". However I think we all can agree that we love the exterior style of the GS as it is timeless. Add in solid performance, comfort and reliability and you have may a classic car in the making :-)
Old 01-08-14, 01:52 PM
repugnante
Instructor

In the Lexus world, it will be considered a classic, but not to the automotive world. IMO.
Old 01-08-14, 03:01 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
In the Lexus world, it will be considered a classic, but not to the automotive world. IMO.
It will be a classic PERIOD. Once 15 more years pass and all these "new" technology cars are known for breaking down and giving nothing but sensor problems and what not, ppl will open they're eyes.... especially when they see those big body GS monsters still strolling past in luxury and reliability.... the truth is the truth no matter where you are... it's a only a matter of time bro.
Old 01-08-14, 03:53 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
It will be a classic PERIOD. Once 15 more years pass and all these "new" technology cars are known for breaking down and giving nothing but sensor problems and what not, ppl will open they're eyes.... especially when they see those big body GS monsters still strolling past in luxury and reliability.... the truth is the truth no matter where you are... it's a only a matter of time bro.
I AGREE. and I'll be one of those you'll see on the road.. I've owned my GS400 for 15 years this month! Car is still in Perfect Condition. (I'll be Happy to Carry on the Torch) for another 15 years easy since my ODO is only at 49K miles..
Old 01-08-14, 04:02 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, I''m splitting the miles on my GS400 with my GS430 with 36K miles. So i'll be around for a long time (knock on wood).. They might as well make me a moderator.. LOL
Old 01-08-14, 04:06 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

I'm sure most people back in the 80's thought of the Cressida in the same way. Even though it's not a world-wide automotive classic, it does have a pretty good cult like following. I plan on being a GS owner forever so cult status is fine with me!

P.S. There was an '86 Cressida at the auction last month. The engine ran silky smooth and the interior was immaculate. That thing was built nicely.
Old 01-08-14, 04:10 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Also, I''m splitting the miles on my GS400 with my GS430 with 36K miles. So i'll be around for a long time (knock on wood).. They might as well make me a moderator.. LOL
I agree.... you been here since the birth of CL.....

Quick Reply: The 2GS, a future classic?