GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The 2GS, a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 08:25 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rarity is not the only factor in a car being considered a classic. Would you consider the B-body Impala SS a modern classic? Depending on where you live you can see more of them than a 2GS and a lot of them in ghettofied, horrendous shape. I think "cult classic" is a more apt term and I'm not even suggesting that the 2GS has even reached that status yet, but it might have. But it probably won't... But it might.

I really think the # of people that love something (demand) has more to do with a car becoming a classic than any other factor. Who is the main demographic that drives the classic markets? 50 year olds with money. They want the car they had or wanted when they were young. Not very many of us are in our 50's yet (I don't think) so the potential for it to be a classic, if it ever will be, might take awhile. As time goes by and the poorly maintained and ghettofied 2GS start to disappear, this will also help a bit.

Also, I could be wrong but I think the SC's and LS's have a bigger following and will probably qualify for "cult" status before the GS will.
Old 01-09-14, 08:39 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
Rarity is not the only factor in a car being considered a classic. Would you consider the B-body Impala SS a modern classic? Depending on where you live you can see more of them than a 2GS and a lot of them in ghettofied, horrendous shape. I think "cult classic" is a more apt term and I'm not even suggesting that the 2GS has even reached that status yet, but it might have. But it probably won't... But it might.

I really think the # of people that love something (demand) has more to do with a car becoming a classic than any other factor. Who is the main demographic that drives the classic markets? 50 year olds with money. They want the car they had or wanted when they were young. Not very many of us are in our 50's yet (I don't think) so the potential for it to be a classic, if it ever will be, might take awhile. As time goes by and the poorly maintained and ghettofied 2GS start to disappear, this will also help a bit.

Also, I could be wrong but I think the SC's and LS's have a bigger following and will probably qualify for "cult" status before the GS will.
That 96 Impala that you are referring too is a classic and is very rare. That car was built a particular way in which you will likely not see again in cars. I never see them anymore. I hardly saw them when they were brand new other than videos and movies and I live in the LA county area. That Impala is a rare bird. Just this morning I already have seen 3 2GS's rolling around. I haven't seen a Supra in months. I haven't seen an Impala SS in about a year and I'm always out and about. To me it is a factor in naming a car a classic.
Old 01-09-14, 08:50 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

I really think it depends where you live (and where you drive lol). I see b-bodies every other day on the southside. Real SS's not a caprice dressed up. Same with 80's Monte SS's. Grand Nationals, that's a different story. I totally agree with you that they're classics but, here in Tucson/Phoenix, it's not too hard to find an Impala for sale.
Old 01-09-14, 09:22 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
That 96 Impala that you are referring too is a classic and is very rare. That car was built a particular way in which you will likely not see again in cars. I never see them anymore. I hardly saw them when they were brand new other than videos and movies and I live in the LA county area. That Impala is a rare bird. Just this morning I already have seen 3 2GS's rolling around. I haven't seen a Supra in months. I haven't seen an Impala SS in about a year and I'm always out and about. To me it is a factor in naming a car a classic.
That car is WITHOUT A DOUBT a powerful classic and an American icon in terms of engineering. No question... My thing is being a classic means nothing if the car itself cant last 200-300k miles... When was the last time you heard of an Impala hitting 300k?? I personally never seen ANY American engineered car hit that high.. And if it got close, was probably with a ton of repairs. I'll take reliabilty over classicness any day bro. I love those Impalas tho. I never see them. I see plenty of Caprice Classics which LOOK the same but we all know they're slightly different...... And you might see a few 2GS cars on the road but how many of them are 430s? That's ALSO a special and RARE breed of cars. What's the point of having a "classic" car if its always in the garage parked?? I use my GS430 every single day. If it can hold up strong like these NEW cars do everyday, that alone is worth Legendary status. Esp being a V8... GS man!
Old 01-09-14, 09:29 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by repugnante
In the Lexus world, it will be considered a classic, but not to the automotive world. IMO.
I agree with you but maybe not totally and that's only because I'm no expert when it comes to classic cars.

I made the decision long time ago that I will not be selling my car. Too much time and of course
a lot money has been spent on this car for me to give it away. Hands down the 2nd-Gen GS is a classic in the Lexus world but I have this belief that it'll be recognized as a classic in the rest of the automotive world. Other than a O2 sensor minor issue that I have now and timing belt service which is due, this car has been rock solid to me.
Old 01-09-14, 09:34 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I agree with you but maybe not totally and that's only because I'm no expert when it comes to classic cars.

I made the decision long time ago that I will not be selling my car. Too much time and of course
a lot money has been spent on this car for me to give it away. Hands down the 2nd-Gen GS is a classic in the Lexus world but I have this belief that it'll be recognized as a classic in the rest of the automotive world. Other than a O2 sensor minor issue that I have now and timing belt service which is due, this car has been rock solid to me.
These cars are safe to say were built "consciously solid"... Land hand crafed Corvettes .... Maybe not hand crafted but it sure feels like it after years of use and still the same outcome ouuta the car. I use my GS430 everyday and it feels reliably safe like a Honda Civic. ... Tomorrow I'm dropping that Die Hard Platinum battery in this badboy. Can't wait!
Old 01-09-14, 10:28 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Heck yeah it's a classic...that's why I'm still holding on to mine. The 96 SS with floor shift is commanding top dollar, especially if it's still running good. You must me the minority, because I don't see a lot of 96 SS riding around. I've live in many places and I may see one 94-96 SS a month, whereas I see 2GS all day everyday. Being rare is part of the classic title IMO. I don't know what ghettofied shape is because I've seen a few 2GS in h-town that should be driven off a bridge, but the 96 SS is a classic car...no it's, and's, or buts about it. I've seen them looking like a muscle car to kandy paint and 22" IROC rims (which I love. Those IROC rims are timeless). Outside of the Toyota Supra, name any other American/foreign car that's a 94-96 that can bring in $10k at the minimum?
Old 01-09-14, 11:54 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

As far as pricing goes, it's all relative. There are people in this world that pay $800 for a pair of exclusive blue jeans. Does that mean they are really that much better than a pair of $50 Levi's??? Rare is part of being a classic but not the only factor. Ford Pintos are rare but do you really want to drive one? It boils down to demand. The Impala can fit into a lot of categories and car styles: Muscle car, donk, lowrider. It enjoys a huge fan base. The fact is there are some people that will NEVER like Japanese cars or any other foreign cars no matter how well they perform or look. You're right, the older "classic" and muscle car crowd looks at our cars as nothing special. But, you can't tell me that the only people that ever give your car compliments for how they look are other Lexus owners. I get compliments all the time from muscle car guys, donk guys, lowrider, ricer, etc.

Last edited by mccrimmon; 01-09-14 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 12:11 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

There are other "90's" cars, not necessarily '94 - 96, that I think hold their value. Twin turbo Z, E39 M5, '93 Cobra Mustang, Saleen Mustangs, SS Camaros, VR4's, etc. Maybe they are not in the $10k+ range but just cuz you're paying more doesn't mean you're getting a better car. It's all a matter of opinion. Don't get me wrong, I really like 90's Impalas and the LT1 is a great engine but I feel they are overpriced for what you get. I had a '93 Z28 and I hate that I sold it. I almost bought an Impala before I looked at my GS. I would definitely love to add one to my garage!

Last edited by mccrimmon; 01-09-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 05:36 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I'll pass on American cars. Truthfully everyone I've had were problem buckets. Never had an SS... but I've had my share tho. Buick Regal & Century, both Firebird TransAm and TransAm Firebird (87' t-tops), Ford E150 luxury van, Chevrolet Gladiator van, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme INTERNATIONAL EDITION, etc... they ALL gave problems. I'll pass. I've had beat up Japanese cars that lasted longer problem free then most those cars. Idk, American cars are just ****ty cars Idk. Or maybe I've had the wrong models Idk. I've always been meticulous with my cars too. I agree the older models from 60s to late mid 80s were good. But from there on out they just went down hill. Maybe except Mustang and Corvette.
Old 01-09-14, 07:02 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I'll pass on American cars. Truthfully everyone I've had were problem buckets. Never had an SS... but I've had my share tho. Buick Regal & Century, both Firebird TransAm and TransAm Firebird (87' t-tops), Ford E150 luxury van, Chevrolet Gladiator van, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme INTERNATIONAL EDITION, etc... they ALL gave problems. I'll pass. I've had beat up Japanese cars that lasted longer problem free then most those cars. Idk, American cars are just ****ty cars Idk. Or maybe I've had the wrong models Idk. I've always been meticulous with my cars too. I agree the older models from 60s to late mid 80s were good. But from there on out they just went down hill. Maybe except Mustang and Corvette.
Agreed. While domestic cars have improved, I can't trust them. Plus they depreciation much quicker than most imports.
Old 01-09-14, 09:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

While we all love the 2GS, or we wouldn't be here, I can't see it being a "classic" the same way a 69 Camaro, 64 Impala, or certain old Chargers or Mustangs are. The 90's Impala's will be in that category as well, those cars just scream classic. I can see Supras, Skyline's, and 300Z's being revered years from now, but as much as I love my GS400 I don't see the general public holding it in that same regard 20 years from now.
Old 01-09-14, 10:29 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
While we all love the 2GS, or we wouldn't be here, I can't see it being a "classic" the same way a 69 Camaro, 64 Impala, or certain old Chargers or Mustangs are. The 90's Impala's will be in that category as well, those cars just scream classic. I can see Supras, Skyline's, and 300Z's being revered years from now, but as much as I love my GS400 I don't see the general public holding it in that same regard 20 years from now.
Exactly... Give it 20 Years and it will SURELY BE A CLASSIC. Isn't that what classic is??? Staying tough and running thru time? Or is classic just an "image" of a big engine car made 40 years ago? To me, classic means Greatly engineered and built to last thru time. That my friend is CLASSIC.
Old 01-10-14, 08:24 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

I agree. I don't think people in the general public will ever view our cars as anything special style or performance wise. On the other hand there are also a lot of people in the general public that recognize the quality that Lexus produces in all their cars. There aren't too many cars that, when you go to sell it with close to 200k miles, you can say to the buyer, "These cars will go to 300k miles easily" and they will agree with you.

There's a big difference between the general public and "car enthusiasts". I would say that there are also people in the "general public" that would never pay $10k+ for an Impala or $40K for a '69 Camaro. People in that general public category just don't view cars the same way we do. BUT, I would wager that amongst fellow car enthusiasts, across all genres (muscle car, lowrider, donk, vip, ricers, racers, etc.) most of them give the 2GS props and compliments when it is properly modified/customized. I get compliments all the time from non-Lexus owners. I think there are more people that appreciate a GOOD LOOKING, WELL DONE 2GS than you think.
Old 01-10-14, 11:38 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Agreed. Now a 1990 LS400, Lexus's very first and flagship car, has a bit more potential.

Quick Reply: The 2GS, a future classic?