GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can the steering wheel LEXUS logo be replaced (or fixed up)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 02:52 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for sharing animalfarm. I do not need a emblem but would like a resource to give to a friend. To those with the chrome emblem still intact, use caution with what cleaners you use on your steering wheel.
Old 04-13-18, 11:43 PM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've managed to get the old logo off. Stories about the risc of the airbag exploding suddenly: untrue! The airbag needs an electric power source to ignite the cartridge, which will blow up the airbag.
Got another (used) airbag off eBay, and was sent by (air)mail to the EU. Does anyone really think that any courier would handle an airbag by air, land, sea, if there was a reasonable risc it might suddenly "explode"?
So, we can continue with the matter at hand: replacing the logo.
The 2 new logos are slightly different from the original logo, which I removed using a tiny screwdriver and a hobby knive. Just carefully lift the logo with a screwdriver, and cut the pins. The old logo is made of a soft plastic, so cutting is easy.
Next step will be to fill the space where the old logo used to be, with a silicon based sealant, smooth it out, and stick on one of the new logos. I'll try both of them, to see which one looks best.
Probably tomorrow I'll post the update.
Old 04-15-18, 12:48 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

I'm still looking on how to fit one of the new logo's. Since it is easy to disassemble the whole airbag, new ideas come to mind.
I didn't have to cut or break anything to disassemble the airbag, it's all very straight forward.
Old 04-16-18, 11:15 PM
animalfarm
Rookie

I've used a brown silicone sealant, which is strong & yet still flexible. In my region we have fairly cold winters & warm summers, so a rigid glue would cause problems.
First I squeezed sealant from the back of the airbag cover to the front, then filled the front to get a smooth flat surface. Applied the logo, pushed it in, and then used toothpicks & cottonswabs to remove the excess sealant. Then let it dry for 24 hours.
Last step is to get a large needle & syringe, and fill the last minimal gaps.

Last edited by animalfarm; 04-16-18 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 07-30-18, 09:29 PM
zangh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tried vinyl wrapping the logo while its still on the car?
Old 09-23-20, 05:39 PM
therednsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naked Emblem

stripped down to just plastic.

Carefully removed the chrome without using any harsh chemical solvents. For the moment its an improvement on my 2010 GX 460. With the COVID-19 hand sanitizer useage I'm good with this look on the 10 year old GX for the moment. Once we get the all clear, I'd like to replace the cover and steering wheel switches. I can't stress the point of being careful on the steering wheel; especially with older models.

From a distance it matches up with the GXOR cup holder letters.

Last edited by therednsx; 09-23-20 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Typo