GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 08:43 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Shake

Ok, I have searched and cannot find anyone with a problem quite like mine. I'll describe it the best that I can.

When I first start driving there is no noticeable shake in my steering wheel, but as time goes on, it starts acting up.

I've noticed that it usually starts as I go up or downhill and then once it starts it doesn't go away until I stop the car and let her sit for alittle while, but sometimes that doesn't do it either.

Another thing I've noticed is that it kind of sounds like I'm running on a flat when the car starts shaking. The steering wheel shakes violently on the highway and when I get on the brakes to slow down it becomes even worse and you can actually... hear? the shaking. It's that bad. The brake pedal shakes/pulsates pretty violently as well when this happens.

The thing that gets me most is, sometimes I don't get any shake or pedal vibration/pulsation at all, regardless of how long I've been driving.

I'm so confused on this one. I get steering wheel shake and I can also feel vibration in the pedals. I don't understand.

What could it be? Somebody please help

BTW, I had my tie rods and LBJ replaced around 94K miles and I'm closing in on 136K miles as of now. I'm very low on money as I am a full time college student that's only working enough to get by.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks guys.

Last edited by shvc1991; 01-29-10 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 08:48 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you'll want to have your steering rack tightened a hair (1/8 to 1/4 turn). you can see how to do this by viewing the daizen steering bushing DIY. You have to pry the snapring out, then tighten the rack with a hex key slightly to keep your steering from wandering. Good news is itll only cost you a bolt, a nut, and a hammer to make a tool to do so.
Old 01-29-10, 08:53 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good, but my steering seems to fluctuate between looseness and heaviness depending on how hot or cold it is outside.

Also, is there any explanation for the brake pulsation coming and going or even the flat tire sound?
Old 01-29-10, 08:55 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shvc1991
Sounds good, but my steering seems to fluctuate between looseness and heaviness depending on how hot or cold it is outside.

Also, is there any explanation for the brake pulsation coming and going or even the flat tire sound?
if your steering feel fluctuates...it leads me to ask you when the last time you changed your steering fluid was.

brake pulsation coming/going could be bad brake fluid, uneven brake wear, or in combination with the flat tire sound, warped rotors/tires out of balance.

If your tire guy used stick on weights, they probably fell off. If stock wheels, have him hammer weights on.
Old 01-29-10, 08:59 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about 80% sure somethings not tight on your wheels.... check your lug nuts, jack your car up and check to see if your wheel has play in its camber or toe... just start pushing on it to see if it'll recess in.... I've actually had a lug bolt half broken off and I got the shakes when I was at certain mph due to the bolt spinning on the rear hub of the wheel.

I wouldn't drive the car until I figured out the problem. Could potentially be a huge mistake... figure it out before you take a drive.... be safe@!
Old 01-29-10, 09:09 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
if your steering feel fluctuates...it leads me to ask you when the last time you changed your steering fluid was.

brake pulsation coming/going could be bad brake fluid, uneven brake wear, or in combination with the flat tire sound, warped rotors/tires out of balance.

If your tire guy used stick on weights, they probably fell off. If stock wheels, have him hammer weights on.
I actually changed the fluid 6K miles ago when I did an oil change.

If I had warped rotors, wouldn't it pulsate every time I hit the brakes?

I have stick on weights on the stock wheels. I'm gonna jack up the car tomorrow to see if there is any play in the wheels. I hope I don't need to replace anything.

I'm also gonna give the spare wheel a try and see if it solves the problem. I am almost sure it is my front driver side wheel that is the culprit to my problem.

Originally Posted by UptownGS
I'm about 80% sure somethings not tight on your wheels.... check your lug nuts, jack your car up and check to see if your wheel has play in its camber or toe... just start pushing on it to see if it'll recess in.... I've actually had a lug bolt half broken off and I got the shakes when I was at certain mph due to the bolt spinning on the rear hub of the wheel.

I wouldn't drive the car until I figured out the problem. Could potentially be a huge mistake... figure it out before you take a drive.... be safe@!
Thanks for your input, will ask my boss if he'll let me out during work tomorrow to try this. I have to attend a birthday dinner tomorrow night and I'll be taking the GS as the Bimmer is not big enough to comfortably seat 5 people, unless the problem is not resolved and I hope it is. I love my baby.
Old 01-29-10, 09:35 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

May be your rotors. I had occasional vibration at higher speeds and during low and high speed braking. I thought it was my new wheels needing to be rebalanced but I put some $90 autozone front rotors and the shimmy is gone.
Old 01-29-10, 09:50 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to see if I can fix the problem without replacing anything first or at least try to pinpoint it if possible. I don't even have $90 and the bull**** $150 speeding ticket doesn't help. ***** cops around here are jealous that I drive a nicer ride than them. They always go for the young ones here.
Old 01-29-10, 10:28 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

I had a problem like your and it was the driver side front tire soon as i changed it all steering wheel shake has stopped but i still here a thump noise every time i press the brake pedal on highways anyone know what this is ???
Old 01-29-10, 10:42 PM
alexly
Driver

i had the same issue. i went as far as replacing all my suspension setup, rotors, pads, etc.

the culprit:

Control Arm Bushings

Replace them, get an alignment and you're golden. My car drives like a dream again.
Old 01-29-10, 10:54 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

everything i need is right here Ikeya formula http://eliteautostyle.com/products/suspension_gs.htm
Old 01-29-10, 11:05 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSRSRT
everything i need is right here Ikeya formula http://eliteautostyle.com/products/suspension_gs.htm
complete overkill unless you plan on going full on drift/track car.
Old 01-30-10, 08:47 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

bad tire in the front, the tires heat up as you drive on em causing it to fluctuate. been there dude. at least that's my guess
Old 01-30-10, 11:18 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexly
i had the same issue. i went as far as replacing all my suspension setup, rotors, pads, etc.

the culprit:

Control Arm Bushings

Replace them, get an alignment and you're golden. My car drives like a dream again.
This! Do a search for this OP, this is most likely it.
Old 01-30-10, 01:54 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

have you recently done any work on the car prior to the shakes? maybe 1-3 days before the vibrations started....

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake