GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gas tank & driveshaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 10:15 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Gas tank & driveshaft removal

I have a leaking gas tank and it seems that the drive shaft and exhaust need to be removed in order to get the tank out.

Anybody have experience with any of this. Anyone have a step-by-step with pictures write-up for this? If there are any special things I have to watch out for please let me know. I notice that there is an adjusting nut on the driveshaft which seems to be quite large. Any secrets to loosening this with common tools?

Anyone got ideas for fixing a pin hole leak at the front passenger corner of the gas tank. Can I solder it up. How do I make sure the gas in the tank doesn't ignite? Is there a drain plug?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-23-09, 07:55 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's for the drive shaft on a 2002 GS430. As far as the gas leak, don't laugh, but I heard that used chewing gum would work.
Attached Files
Old 06-23-09, 09:03 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well the saying goes.."if u must ask, let a pro do it"
if you already have experiences removing gas tanks and shafts, then go ahead and try it. but if you have to ask, you shouldnt be attempting this.
anywho, check out the FSM and go at it. let others know how it goes. GL
Old 06-24-09, 06:27 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swear i saw another thread about this about two weeks ago. Someone had the exact same issue.
Old 06-24-09, 08:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

How the heck is your gas tank leaking? Are you so low that you punctured it while driving? If I'm not mistaken I think the tank is made out of stainless steel and is highly resistant to salt and corrosion. I'll have to double check on what it's made out of when I get a chance.
Old 06-24-09, 09:50 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
How the heck is your gas tank leaking? Are you so low that you punctured it while driving? If I'm not mistaken I think the tank is made out of stainless steel and is highly resistant to salt and corrosion. I'll have to double check on what it's made out of when I get a chance.
Texas is a long way from the salt capital of the world!!! It is quite common for tanks and entire cars to disintegrate within 15 years from the salt that is used in the winter time here in Ottawa.

I doubt that the tank is stainless steel and certainly doesn't appear to be very resistant to corrosion. Even if it is stainless, it is still suceptible to corrosion after 10 or 12 years of exposure to the elements.

Mine is leaking from a pin hole just above the flange so I suspect there may have been an accumulation of salt laddened debris which accelrated the rusting process. The other problem which occurs is that the tank actually has a very light undercoating and sometimes the salt gets under the coating causing the rust.

Anyway I think I am going to give J-B Weld a try. Wish me luck, I have already tried gas tank putty but the tank gets pressurised and starts leaking again. It's actually pretty neat to see when it is pressurised. Looks like the tank is actually tanking a **** the way it shoots the gas upwards in an arc!
Old 06-24-09, 10:42 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jb weld or putty will work. if i were you i'd empty out the gas and have it welded.
Old 06-24-09, 06:54 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
well the saying goes.."if u must ask, let a pro do it"
if you already have experiences removing gas tanks and shafts, then go ahead and try it. but if you have to ask, you shouldnt be attempting this.
anywho, check out the FSM and go at it. let others know how it goes. GL
leave this to a PRO PLEASE

Originally Posted by ElitistK
jb weld or putty will work. if i were you i'd empty out the gas and have it welded.
since im certified (but haven't in years) to MIG/TIG/ and ARCH weld i can say
actually a empty tank is more hazardous....as the fumes are more flammable than a full tank of gas. for those that don't know....UNLIKE the movies, u cant take a cigarette and light gas with it,it has to be a open flame (dont believe me, take a small cup and fill it halfway with gas, light a cig---away from the cup, take a few drags and drop it into the cup, it just goes out)