GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Picked up some Toms rear plates and Daizen Sways today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 07:12 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard that we only really need the front sway bar over the rear..cuz the rear causes oversteer? iono if thats true tho..but im looking into jus upgrading the front sway bar and leaving the rear stock..u said u noticed a big difference after the front being installed? but not much difference with only the rear??
Old 03-01-09, 07:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You will notice with the rear depending on what suspension you have. If your suspension is closer to soft, you'll feel more difference.

Nothing wrong with oversteer as long as its moderate. Our cars (most in fact) are tuned to be more understeer from the factory for safety measures. If you upgrade your fronts alone, you introduce more understeer. There needs to be a balance.

And how much the bar makes a difference depends on their spring rates, but like coilovers/springs, you dont want too stiff.
Old 03-01-09, 07:31 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

so upgrading the rear increases oversteer? and upgrading the front increases understeer?
Old 03-01-09, 07:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Usually thats the case, but installing both bars will balance things out.
Old 03-01-09, 07:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
so upgrading the rear increases oversteer? and upgrading the front increases understeer?
If you have too stiff a sway bar up front and not stiff enough at the rear it will induce more understeer. The stiffer the sway bars the more it shift/transfers the weight to the point it may loose traction. That is why too stiff front or rear is not a good thing. The point is to balance the front and rear for a more neutral behavior. However, for street driving a little understeer is probably better since understeer is easier to control and recover from and if you have too much oversteer on a street car with normal drivers that is the fastest way to find your rear end in the cement dividing wall.

As for me, I haven't pushed the car to the extreme yet, but so far I have no oversteer. I have the rear car set to the middle hole of 3. The hole closer to the bar makes it stiffer thus more oversteer, and the further from the bar makes is less stiff so more understeer. However, that doesn't mean it will oversteer or understeer. I myself was actually thinking about moving the rear bar to the stiffer hole location to see how that feels. At the point I'm at right now, my rear end doesn't feel like it wants to slide out at all so I'm still good. Another thing to note is my traction control is not lighting up so that means I'm still well within the mechanical traction limits of the car which is a good thing.

I would upgrade as a set and not just install the rear. When I had the rear on only for a day, I could feel the front rolling more than the rear. Makes for an odd sensation. Now that I have the front, it seems to roll front and back more evenly as far as I can tell.
Old 03-02-09, 01:50 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I forget which thread it was posted in, but it was a reputable member who said NOT to upgrade only the rear sway bar on our chassis. Its bad for something, and I feel like it may have been safety? Maybe someone who knows what I'm talking about can chime in, but anyway, upgrade the front or both or neither from what I remember.
Old 03-02-09, 04:13 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i wanted to jus get teh fronts to stiffen up the front suspension so it doesnt lean soo much and makes me rub when i make turns..thats all..would gettin the fronts eliminate my problem? for instance..lets jus say on a freeway on/off-ramp when ur making that big circle turn..i wanna be able to do it at 30mph at least and not rub..i tend to rub any faster than that..i just wanna save my fenders a lil
Old 03-02-09, 08:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

You may experience less rubbing, but will it fix it completely? Who knows.

You must be rubbing a good amount if you can't pass 30mph. Either that or you have really soft suspension up front. With my daizen/TRD sways, I was able to get up to 60mph before my tires felt like they were going to lose grip. Get the Daizen sways for your car. The rears are adjustable so you can set the rear to the least stiff setting, while still maintaining a good balance.