Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Diameter for TRD Blue and Daizen rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 03:38 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diameter for TRD Blue and Daizen rear sway bar

I'm currently in process of mixing and matching rear sway bars (TRD&DAIZEN)

Do you know what is the diameter of both TRD & Daizen rear sway bars, or can i run TRD sway bar on Daizen bushings?
Old 07-06-06, 03:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best person to contact is Todd at TM Engineering. He studied a lot of sway bars (including the TRDs) while doing R & D for the Daizens. I think this topic of mixing and matching has come up before and Todd has warned to not do this. In addition to the diameter, the thickness/hollowness of the bar will come into play. Each front and rear were designed to complement each other. The TRDs and Daizens have different goals and mixing them could become an issue.

I'm not saying don't do it but be VERY careful while you test out the driving characteristics of your mix and match configuration.
Old 07-06-06, 04:11 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
The best person to contact is Todd at TM Engineering. He studied a lot of sway bars (including the TRDs) while doing R & D for the Daizens. I think this topic of mixing and matching has come up before and Todd has warned to not do this. In addition to the diameter, the thickness/hollowness of the bar will come into play. Each front and rear were designed to complement each other. The TRDs and Daizens have different goals and mixing them could become an issue.

I'm not saying don't do it but be VERY careful while you test out the driving characteristics of your mix and match configuration.
Thanks for input NEO, haven't see you for awhile, whats going on?

I think i'm gonna buy a tool so i can measure both sways on my own , well it never hurt to ask, i guess
Old 07-06-06, 07:55 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicely put Neo.

Old 07-06-06, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i can only remember the comments from todd when he talked about testing different sway bars -- don't try it. he learned that
Old 07-07-06, 09:27 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Back when I was debating purchasing TRD or Daizen, I recall a post with all those measurements. The problem is that most of those threads deteriorated into very long rants/debates and the particular post will be hard to find. But I agree, just buy some cheap calipers (from harbor freight maybe?) and measure it yourself. Good luck and post your results.

PS: I don't see the terrible danger others see in mixing and matching, as long as you test prudently.
Old 07-07-06, 11:34 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Back when I was debating purchasing TRD or Daizen, I recall a post with all those measurements. The problem is that most of those threads deteriorated into very long rants/debates and the particular post will be hard to find. But I agree, just buy some cheap calipers (from harbor freight maybe?) and measure it yourself. Good luck and post your results.

PS: I don't see the terrible danger others see in mixing and matching, as long as you test prudently.
I agree with you, i was runing GS without rear sway bar for about 2 weeks now. I'll try to post all the results, soon after i get done with TRD testing
Old 07-07-06, 12:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Jake, you have 2 sets of sway bars? lol what a baller or do you not have the TRD set yet?

When you do, let us know how big of a difference there is between the two. I have a my Flex set at the stiffest setting right now and the car has very little roll. So hopefully once I add some TRD sways it will get rid of most of it.
Old 07-07-06, 12:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're trying to determine the 'rate' of the bar, measuring the outside diameter won't tell you everything. If both bars are hollow, the tube thickness may be different causing the stiffness to be different. If the TRD bar is indeed solid, then the rate will be totally different even if the O.D. is the same.

What's wrong with just using the same front & rear of one or the other brand of bar? I've been running the Daizen bars for over two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. The Daizen rear bar is adjustable- when the bars were installed, we set the rear bar in the middle position. I'm actually going to move it to the outside hole (softer) to settle the car down as it wants to rotate the rear mid-turn if the throttle is lifted. This can be exciting in a big 3800 pound car... I can't imageing running the rear bar at full stiff (unless you want to go drifting).

Haven't there been issues with the TRD bar ends cracking and snapping off?
Old 07-07-06, 04:39 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
If you're trying to determine the 'rate' of the bar, measuring the outside diameter won't tell you everything. If both bars are hollow, the tube thickness may be different causing the stiffness to be different. If the TRD bar is indeed solid, then the rate will be totally different even if the O.D. is the same.

What's wrong with just using the same front & rear of one or the other brand of bar? I've been running the Daizen bars for over two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. The Daizen rear bar is adjustable- when the bars were installed, we set the rear bar in the middle position. I'm actually going to move it to the outside hole (softer) to settle the car down as it wants to rotate the rear mid-turn if the throttle is lifted. This can be exciting in a big 3800 pound car... I can't imageing running the rear bar at full stiff (unless you want to go drifting).

Haven't there been issues with the TRD bar ends cracking and snapping off?
I would like to know diameter of both because i don't have TRD sway bar bushings, i'm just wondering if TRD sway bar can be installed with Daizen bushings due to outer diameter difference betwen both, if there is any

I can't complain on Daizen sway bars, but the rear one don't perform at the level i want and this is a reason why i'm looking for diffrent options.

There is a difference betwen our needs. I might like someting you don't, but the questions is still same: What's diameter both rear sway bars Daizen&TRD?
Old 07-07-06, 08:25 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what you were looking for. See post #16 in this thread. I was interested in those measurements because for a while I wanted to swap the Daizen's poly bushings with the softer rubber bushings from the TRD blues. The Daizens noticeably increased bump stiffness, and rubber bushings would've soften them a bit. Found out, however, that those TRD bushings aren't sold separately. Good luck.

Last edited by JellyBean; 07-07-06 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-07-06, 10:58 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Jake, you have 2 sets of sway bars? lol what a baller or do you not have the TRD set yet?

When you do, let us know how big of a difference there is between the two. I have a my Flex set at the stiffest setting right now and the car has very little roll. So hopefully once I add some TRD sways it will get rid of most of it.
Jeff, i do have rear TRD sway bar only without bushings. I'll let you know if there is any difference betwen Daizen and TRD
Old 07-07-06, 11:29 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JellyBean
This is what you were looking for. See post #16 in this thread. I was interested in those measurements because for a while I wanted to swap the Daizen's poly bushings with the softer rubber bushings from the TRD blues. The Daizens noticeably increased bump stiffness, and rubber bushings would've soften them a bit. Found out, however, that those TRD bushings aren't sold separately. Good luck.
Well, that was good find... but still regarding mix and match front and rear sway bars i do not find anything out of ordinary other than Liability if you know what i'm talking about..and i belive you know my point. No one will sell you an idea of mixing and matching sway bars of two different brands if sales them its own. For example, no tire shop will recomend you 2 goodyears on front and 2 michelin's on rear axle of your car, why? coz in case something happend tire shop is reponsible for missleading and possible injury than low suit........., so i'll take Liability on me because i did that many times before with other makes and models and never regreted of trying.

I think you helped me alot since the thread i've started was about maesurement of Rear Daizen and TRD sway bars. I appreciate to all of you who pointed risk involved with what i'm going to do, and whoever is intrested in my peronal jurney with mixing&matching sway bars Thing is more than welcome here

- Jake
Old 07-08-06, 05:50 AM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Default trd and daizen

Man i wieh i could get a hold of either @ a good price
Old 07-08-06, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Not sure if your questions were answered but I did remember reading that the trd sways would not fit in the daizen sway bushings. I believe the trd is bigger than the daizens.
I wanted to find out about this b/c I already have the daizen bushings and was going to go with the trd sways, but it mentioned that it wouldn't fit and the trds are much stiffer than the daizens.

Quick Reply: Diameter for TRD Blue and Daizen rear sway bar