GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio Install DIY add-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 08:44 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this is a old post but where do you get the 12 volt constant? Thank you
Old 12-23-18, 10:43 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham
i know this is a old post but where do you get the 12 volt constant? Thank you
There are different original equipment in the GS model.
Also +12v use depends upon your new load (current draw requirements). For high output [more current draw] you may need a dedicated 12v supply line from the battery.

Another important detail which is missing in all the discussions is.
Lexus uses a proprietary serial link protocol do talk to all the various components. The information to turn on devices is through that link.

If you are embarking on this journey for the first time, also note that Lexus uses dual differential [l+,l-,r+,r- and no ground] audio signals which have non standard [l,r, gnd] line level ... standard audio use 1v rms as AUX in/out level. <- Ignore this stuff if you plan t rip out the OEM stuff.

Salim
Old 12-23-18, 11:48 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Default radio install to the old post

Originally Posted by salimshah
Also +12v use depends upon your new load (current draw requirements). For high output [more current draw] you may need a dedicated 12v supply line from the battery.

Lexus uses a proprietary serial link protocol do talk to all the various components. The information to turn on devices is through that link.

If you are embarking on this journey for the first time, also note that Lexus uses dual differential [l+,l-,r+,r- and no ground] audio signals which have non standard [l,r, gnd] line level ... standard audio use 1v rms as AUX in/out level. <- Ignore this stuff if you plan t rip out the OEM stuff.

Salim
no this not my first journey with radio installations but noticed you didn't mention a 12volt constant. In the past on other cars I've owned i did get the 12volt constant straight from the battery. I just thought there was one in the dash so i wouldn't have to run new wire to the battery. But if a have to i will. Just need some tunes for now. In the future i plan to change out the door speakers. Thanks for your help
Old 12-23-18, 11:51 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah

I have the same system you have at least from looking at the pics you posted i do
Salim
I have the same system you have at least from looking at the pics you posted i do
Old 12-24-18, 07:38 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

There is are 12v constant and acc. wires on the OEM harness that connects to the back of the radio. You will need to use a test probe to find them, wire colors differ from year and model. Either splice or cut them to get your power.
The following users liked this post:
Ham (12-24-18)
Old 12-24-18, 07:47 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
There is are 12v constant and acc. wires on the OEM harness that connects to the back of the radio. You will need to use a test probe to find them, wire colors differ from year and model. Either splice or cut them to get your power.
Thanks for that info.