GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! Auto-leveling function on headlight(s) gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 08:29 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HELP! Auto-leveling function on headlight(s) gone bad

I have my car in the shop right now and they mentioned that they do not know exactly what component of the headlight went bad to make the auto-leveling function not work. I mentioned wouldn't it be the auto-leveling motor? They said not necessarily and want to bang me for 2+ hrs. of diagnostic labor @ 120/hr to find out if it is the auto-leveling motor or not. This is BS. Does anyone have any suggestions? I mean if I have to pay $250+for diagnostic and another $250+ for the auto-leveling motor w/install should I just get new headlights for that price? I would hate to do this because the headlights are not even 1.5 years old! Bought brand new OEM from Lexmaniac on Ebay. They came with the auto-leveling motors also. Why the hell would these things go bad already Suggestions? Thanks so much guys.
Old 04-23-08, 08:56 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I have my car in the shop right now and they mentioned that they do not know exactly what component of the headlight went bad to make the auto-leveling function not work. I mentioned wouldn't it be the auto-leveling motor? They said not necessarily and want to bang me for 2+ hrs. of diagnostic labor @ 120/hr to find out if it is the auto-leveling motor or not. This is BS. Does anyone have any suggestions? I mean if I have to pay $250+for diagnostic and another $250+ for the auto-leveling motor w/install should I just get new headlights for that price? I would hate to do this because the headlights are not even 1.5 years old! Bought brand new OEM from Lexmaniac on Ebay. They came with the auto-leveling motors also. Why the hell would these things go bad already Suggestions? Thanks so much guys.
OK, I know this might sound weird, and I don't know why it works this way, or why I know this but here it goes:

The auto leveling motors ONLY work when they are installed on the correct side. That obviously means that the driver side motor, well, works on the driver side and passenger works on passenger. This could mean that if they took the motors out of the back of the headlights (which is easy) and switched the sides just so they could say the auto leveling no longer works, it would be easy, it does not harm the motors, just disables them. They both plug in with the same connector, so they could just be looking to make a quick buck. Try taking the auto level motors out and switching the sides, then when they have been plugged in, turn the car FULLY on, and see if they move at all. Try driving also, but I think that just turning the car on will make them move if you have resolved the problem. Let me know how it goes!

-Joe
Old 04-23-08, 09:04 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

The auto-leveling was showing a malfunction BEFORE I brought it to them...so no one played the old "switcheroo." lol. It could have really just gone bad. Is there any way of check this damn auto-leveling motor? I'm not paying $500+ just to get the auto-leveling feature to work again...I will buy new headlights before this happens that's for sure.
Old 04-23-08, 09:29 AM
jamodeo

The auto-leveling was showing a malfunction BEFORE I brought it to them...so no one played the old "switcheroo." lol. It could have really just gone bad. Is there any way of check this damn auto-leveling motor? I'm not paying $500+ just to get the auto-leveling feature to work again...I will buy new headlights before this happens that's for sure.
If you want to pay for shipping both ways, and if you feel comfortable with sending them to me, I can plug them in and see if they work to determine if it is the motor or whatnot.

Another thing that comes to mind, when you say that the indicator light is on, that makes me think twice about it actually being a motor problem. Reason being, When I switched to aftermarket headlamp cluster, I lost the ability to plug in the motors, so I just flat out removed them, and it did not set off any lights. Therefore I might come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the sensors that read the suspension.

And when I think about it further, some GSs did not come with the auto leveling system, therefore if you remove it maybe the computer ignores it.

sorry about all this, I am kind of just thinking it all through because maybe somebody could help based of any of my ideas. let me know if you want me to try them

-Joe
Old 04-23-08, 11:38 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks again Joe...the dealership called again and mentioned that it might be a compressor? or sensors with regard to the suspension. Could the lowering of my car affect my auto-leveling? I don't think so because about 70% of the members on CL are lowered and there would be a lot of complaints about this from everyone.
Old 04-23-08, 09:59 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again Joe...the dealership called again and mentioned that it might be a compressor? or sensors with regard to the suspension. Could the lowering of my car affect my auto-leveling? I don't think so because about 70% of the members on CL are lowered and there would be a lot of complaints about this from everyone.
There are indeed sensors at the wheels to communicate the slope/load to adjust the headlights. Make sure they are still in place, and haven't been knocked out or anything.

2 hours for diag at the dealer? thats a little high.
Old 04-23-08, 10:12 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there...done that. =)

I guarantee its not the auto-level motors...those rarely go bad...i bet you anything its the level sensors which located in the front/rear suspension of your car. I was dealing with this dilemma for almost a yr and the dealer wanted to charge me some ridiculous amount to diagnose the problem as well and blamed my aftermarket HID bulbs. lol

The level sensors located under your car (2 upfront - driver/passenger and 2 in the rear) sometimes get knocked out, especially when your car is lowered and you drive in areas where it snows (ie Toronto) My front/driver sensor was knocked out and my driver side headlight was totally out of whack. It was pointing upward and blinding incoming traffic. Try and source out the part at a junkyard or through Aliga. Its not worth buying new ($200+ at dealer) when you can get a used one for around $50 or less.

Good Luck! =)
Old 04-24-08, 05:56 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3.0
Been there...done that. =)

I guarantee its not the auto-level motors...those rarely go bad...i bet you anything its the level sensors which located in the front/rear suspension of your car. I was dealing with this dilemma for almost a yr and the dealer wanted to charge me some ridiculous amount to diagnose the problem as well and blamed my aftermarket HID bulbs. lol

The level sensors located under your car (2 upfront - driver/passenger and 2 in the rear) sometimes get knocked out, especially when your car is lowered and you drive in areas where it snows (ie Toronto) My front/driver sensor was knocked out and my driver side headlight was totally out of whack. It was pointing upward and blinding incoming traffic. Try and source out the part at a junkyard or through Aliga. Its not worth buying new ($200+ at dealer) when you can get a used one for around $50 or less.

Good Luck! =)

Hey, thanks man...if you could either on this thread or via PM send me in more detail exactly where these level sensors are located and I will definitely check this out.

Also, I heard...not sure if this is true that there is an auto-leveling computer under the drivers headlight that controls the auto-levelling for BOTH headlights; someone mentioned that this coputer goes bad and is frequently the reason why the auto-level feature stops working. Have you ever heard of this notion?
Old 04-24-08, 06:04 AM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

The sensors are located in the front and rear suspension assemblies. If someone could chime in and maybe show a pic of where it is. =)

I've heard of the auto-level computers, and i actually bought 2 of these units from a junk yard. It turned out these weren't the culprit either, it was the level sensors under the car. If you're lowered and you drive in areas where it snows, chances are that you knocked them out or damaged them in some way. You hardly hear this case in sunny weather states such as Cali where it never snows. =)
Old 04-24-08, 06:15 AM
jamodeo

Hey, thanks man...if you could either on this thread or via PM send me in more detail exactly where these level sensors are located and I will definitely check this out.

Also, I heard...not sure if this is true that there is an auto-leveling computer under the drivers headlight that controls the auto-levelling for BOTH headlights; someone mentioned that this coputer goes bad and is frequently the reason why the auto-level feature stops working. Have you ever heard of this notion?
True, there is a computer located under the driver side housing. It is underneath where the green leveler is. About 3 inches away from the ballast. Let me know if you need me to post pics.

-Joe
Old 04-24-08, 06:23 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

I guess auto leveling is only on the 400 and 430's?
Old 04-24-08, 06:28 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's almost always the sensors. there's one on the front and one on the rear, attached to the lower control arm. you could test them if you have a dvom and have accesss to the resistance specs while you operate the leve through its rom.
Old 12-31-11, 02:09 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 19psi
it's almost always the sensors. there's one on the front and one on the rear, attached to the lower control arm. you could test them if you have a dvom and have accesss to the resistance specs while you operate the leve through its rom.
Can anyone post a pic of where these Sensors are Please?😂
Old 12-31-11, 02:37 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of the rear driver sensor:

It looks like a baby sway bar link.
Old 01-06-12, 12:02 PM
Teasy010
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, my warning light for the headlights comes on once in awhile too