GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Blinking red security light -- am I losing it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 09:44 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Blinking red security light -- am I losing it?

Hey guys. I've searched, but can't find the answer. Can someone tell me if the little red security light on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (next to the dimmer dial) is supposed to blink when the doors are unlocked and the alarm is off? I mean, I know my memory may not be the greatest (at least that's what my wife says), but I'm in and out of the car every day, and for the life of me, I don't ever remember seeing that light blinking unless the doors are locked and the alarm is armed. Can someone go check their car and let me know?

The reason I'm a little concerned is because I pulled the ECU-B fuse for 45 minutes yesterday, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Thanks.

e
Old 10-28-07, 09:51 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine blinks when the doors are locked/alarm armed.
Old 10-28-07, 09:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDW91
Mine blinks when the doors are locked/alarm armed.
And does it not blink when the doors are unlocked and the alarm is off?
Old 10-28-07, 10:00 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct it doesn't.
Old 10-28-07, 10:02 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDW91
Correct it doesn't.
That's what I thought. Does anyone have any ideas as to why pulling the ECU-B fuse would cause the alarm light to blink with the doors unlocked? I've pulled the fuse several times in the past, and I don't recall this ever happening. Is there a way to reset the system? There must be.
Old 10-29-07, 04:07 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know about the fuse but the light is supposed to blink when the doors are locked and the alarm is armed, it's to let you and others know that the alarm is armed.
Old 10-29-07, 06:27 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine blinks when the car is unlocked (after unlocking it) and the key is not in the ignition. It might be a reminder that the anti-theft is still in place until you put the key in the ignition... Not sure.
Old 10-29-07, 07:54 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stage3
Mine blinks when the car is unlocked (after unlocking it) and the key is not in the ignition. It might be a reminder that the anti-theft is still in place until you put the key in the ignition... Not sure.
So I'm not alone. Interesting. Does it ever stop blinking? In other words, I left my car unlocked last night, and the light was still blinking when I got back in it this morning even though I never locked the doors. The alarm seems to be working just fine (when I lock it, the light goes solid for a minute or two and then starts blinking again to let me know that the system is armed).
Old 10-29-07, 08:34 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
So I'm not alone. Interesting. Does it ever stop blinking? In other words, I left my car unlocked last night, and the light was still blinking when I got back in it this morning even though I never locked the doors. The alarm seems to be working just fine (when I lock it, the light goes solid for a minute or two and then starts blinking again to let me know that the system is armed).
It's possible that it may stop blinking EVENTUALLY, but... I have never sat there long enough to see if it goes out. I'll run a test when I get home from school today and see what it does. If I can, I'll post some video of exactly what it does.
Old 10-29-07, 04:03 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey e- I just checked, mine blinks when the key is out whether it's locked or not.
Old 10-29-07, 04:06 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

Yep. Mine blinks while the car is unlocked. Only when the key isn't in the ignition.
Old 10-29-07, 04:59 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
Hey e- I just checked, mine blinks when the key is out whether it's locked or not.
Thanks Chuck (and others). Isn't it amazing that you can drive a car for 3+ years and can't for the life of you remember whether or not the little red light blinks?

e
Old 10-29-07, 10:08 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never tried to see if it really STOPS blinking. But I know that it has a different blink pattern when I have the key near the car and when the keys are in the house. That is the only difference I notice.
Old 01-14-09, 01:01 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

I tried to program a new master key which I purchased off eBay. I messed up the first time, and after that time, something happened with my security light. From now on, no matter how many times I tried programming my key, even if I do everything perfectly, it does not program. As for the security light. When key is not in ignition, and doors are unlocked, light blinks, if doors are locked, light is solid red and does not blink. I do not think it's supposed to be like that. Any way to reset it? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-14-09, 01:25 PM
yemgi
Pole Position

On the IS it blinks as long as there is no key in the ignition barrel

Quick Reply: Blinking red security light -- am I losing it?