GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Blinking red security light -- am I losing it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 07:51 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys whoever has a GS, please do me a favour:

check how your security light blinks. Mine blinks when doors are unlocked, but when doors are locked, it's solid red. Please let me know how yours is. I might have screwed something up when trying to program a key. Thanks
Old 01-08-12, 12:50 PM
nmgivens
Driver School Candidate

I too am wondering if there is a way to reset the anti theft system. My security light flashes no matter where the key is located, whether it be in the igniton or not. I think this is related to the issue of my car not starting. It will roll over perfectly, just never starts. Any ideas?
Old 01-12-12, 05:43 PM
Invalid321
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nmgivens
I too am wondering if there is a way to reset the anti theft system. My security light flashes no matter where the key is located, whether it be in the igniton or not. I think this is related to the issue of my car not starting. It will roll over perfectly, just never starts. Any ideas?
There are companies out there that can reset an ecu that dealers are not able to. We have a guy who comes to our dealership to do them. So it is possible. What you are describing is not having a programmed immobilizer key.
Old 01-12-12, 06:24 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here mine blinks locked or unlocked
Old 02-14-13, 08:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I just noticed my security light stayed on when I got out of my car and it is dim with no blinking, it now has gone off and no longer blinks when the door is locked, it normally blinks. I have not really noticed this until tonight so it may have done it earlier.

I did clean my throttle body and MAF a few days ago and have been cleaning my interior windows because they fog up. Not sure that would do anything. My battery in my key fob has been out for a little while, I have never got around to changing it out(nobody seems to have the battery I need, not going to pay the inflated dealer prices). Anyone know if any of those things could cause an issue. Hopefully it is just a fuse.
The following users liked this post:
Klawler7 (11-10-22)
Old 03-26-17, 02:45 PM
Mike561
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. I've searched, but can't find the answer. Can someone tell me if the little red security light on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (next to the dimmer dial) is supposed to blink when the doors are unlocked and the alarm is off? I mean, I know my memory may not be the greatest (at least that's what my wife says), but I'm in and out of the car every day, and for the life of me, I don't ever remember seeing that light blinking unless the doors are locked and the alarm is armed. Can someone go check their car and let me know?

The reason I'm a little concerned is because I pulled the ECU-B fuse for 45 minutes yesterday, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Thanks.

e
Mine only blinks if the key isnt in the ignition. If i take it out it will blink till i lock the door then it will start to blink 45secs after i lock the doors by the driverside door. And if you have figured the problem out or anyone let me know. Also if theres a reset. Like the spedo odo trick
Old 03-27-17, 01:26 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike561
Mine only blinks if the key isnt in the ignition. If i take it out it will blink till i lock the door then it will start to blink 45secs after i lock the doors by the driverside door. And if you have figured the problem out or anyone let me know. Also if theres a reset. Like the spedo odo trick
What's the speedo odo trick?
Old 03-27-17, 03:38 PM
Mike561
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. I've searched, but can't find the answer. Can someone tell me if the little red security light on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (next to the dimmer dial) is supposed to blink when the doors are unlocked and the alarm is off? I mean, I know my memory may not be the greatest (at least that's what my wife says), but I'm in and out of the car every day, and for the life of me, I don't ever remember seeing that light blinking unless the doors are locked and the alarm is armed. Can someone go check their car and let me know?

The reason I'm a little concerned is because I pulled the ECU-B fuse for 45 minutes yesterday, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Thanks.

e
Originally Posted by TW99GS300
What's the speedo odo trick?
i used a paper clip in the dionosis box i put the paper clip in the E1 to Tc then turn the key to acc and rapidly press the break 5-8 times some say it beeps but mine didnt i took the key back out took the paper clip back out started her up and i had speed and miles again
Old 10-17-22, 12:15 PM
Gaffer
4th Gear

Hi I’m reading this post nearly 20 years later. My rx400h has just done this. I replaced new car battery, only to see that the alarm was blinking when unlocked. And when I locked it sure enough it was a solid red light. So I left it half hour then locked it. And now it’s blinking again. So I panicked a bit. As I had some sort of battery drain or lack of use. I don’t know what drained it as it’s brand new 1 week old, no interior lights are ever on. So I’m not sure what has coursed the drain.
Old 01-05-23, 09:32 AM
AP90
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Gaffer
Hi I’m reading this post nearly 20 years later. My rx400h has just done this. I replaced new car battery, only to see that the alarm was blinking when unlocked. And when I locked it sure enough it was a solid red light. So I left it half hour then locked it. And now it’s blinking again. So I panicked a bit. As I had some sort of battery drain or lack of use. I don’t know what drained it as it’s brand new 1 week old, no interior lights are ever on. So I’m not sure what has coursed the drain.

​​​​​​Hi, what's the update on your issue. I may be somehow facing the same issue but it's a repeated drain and I am unable to point out the reason of the drain.
Old 09-19-23, 02:29 PM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AP90
​​​​​​Hi, what's the update on your issue. I may be somehow facing the same issue but it's a repeated drain and I am unable to point out the reason of the drain.
i also have this issue. I dont drive the car often but in 2 years ive had to replace 2 batterys. My light seems to always blink but i do have an aftermarket alarm. Both my lock cylinders are bad as well. Im going to try a battery tender in the time being. Not sure what else to do