GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starting Issue - A Toughie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 11:10 AM
gs400dave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting Issue - A Toughie.

I need to know if any of you have had this problem, and how it was fixed.

I have an intermittent starting problem, it seems to flare up just a few times a year. I have a 98 GS400.

I swear it's somehow related to humidity. It always seems to be rainy when this occurs - however, the car is in a garage.

The car cranks over strong, but just does not ignite. Sometimes, you can leave it alone for 1/2 hour and it'll start up. Other times, it needs to sit longer.

It's been taken to the shop several times, but has never repeated the behavior when at the shop. I know that intermittent electrical problems are the hardest to find, and I'm not willing to fork over more cash for someone to take a shotgun approach at the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with their GS, and did you find a solution?
Old 05-02-07, 12:38 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never had this, but sounds like fouled up spark plugs.
Old 05-02-07, 12:53 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i've had the same type of problem before but with a different car.. turns out it was a main relay.. i haven't looked in the GS.. but you might want to look into a main relay, fuel pump relay or maybe even a new fuel pump.. hope that helps..
this is all assuming you've covered all the basic tune-up..
Old 05-02-07, 01:01 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight6
i've had the same type of problem before but with a different car.. turns out it was a main relay.. i haven't looked in the GS.. but you might want to look into a main relay, fuel pump relay or maybe even a new fuel pump.. hope that helps..
Main relay seems the most obvious. What you can do the next time it happens is this: After you try to start it and it only cranks, look at your instrument cluster to see if all the gauges and warning lights are on, this will only come on in the ignition on position. If they are not on, even when they key is in the ignition on position (they definitely should be on)... depending on where the main relay is, try tapping on it if it is accessible. I had this problem on an Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and a few others... sometimes the main relay is easy to get to under the hood such as the Acura Legend, and sometimes it is buried under the steering column. How many miles on your car?
Old 05-02-07, 01:02 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight6
i concur with this. this happened in my acura. only happened when it's hot outside. the starter turns but it will fire up. changed the main relay and it's as good as new. not sure if this is a problem with the 2nd gen GS's since not too many people are complaining about the main relay.
Old 05-03-07, 12:57 PM
maxmethods
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...i thought nobody else had this problem. My 2gs does the same thing. I notice that nobody else knows how to start my car but me. Its like there is a sweet spot as you turn the key...if you turn to fast, it will miss, you have to get it just right. I dont know if yours is like that, but mine is and it sucks.
Old 05-17-07, 08:06 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm....i have been having problems starting my car the past few days also

but it only happens in the morning, after it has been sitting all night.

Yesterday:
i put the key in, turn to position 1, turn to position 2 , all the dash lights come on, then turn it to crank it and nothing happens. no sound, no clicking, no starting.

so then i took the key out. let it sit for a few seconds. and tried it again.
it finally worked after the 4th try, but when it did crank, it sounded very weak and it barely started.

the rest of the day, i had no problems starting it.

Today:
on my first attempt to start, it was cranking over in a very weak manner, kinda sounded like it was about to die, but it ended up starting on the first try.

hopefully it continues to start for the rest of the day.

Is this a relay problem? or starter problem? or alternator?

i dont think it is a battery issue b/c all the lights came on and i just put in a new battery a few months ago.

any thoughts???
Old 05-17-07, 12:39 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Could be the battery. My lights came on too when I tried to crank it. Switched the battery, and forgot about the problem.
Old 05-17-07, 12:43 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Could be the battery. My lights came on too when I tried to crank it. Switched the battery, and forgot about the problem.
i checked the terminals on my battery and everything seems fine. no corrosion, and everything is tight.

i don't think it is my battery cuz i just replaced it a few months ago w/ a DieHard Gold....its prob still under warranty....ill take it in and have it checked

replacing a battery is much cheaper than replacing a starter....i really hope i dont have to replace the starter
Old 05-17-07, 01:47 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmethods
Wow...i thought nobody else had this problem. My 2gs does the same thing. I notice that nobody else knows how to start my car but me. Its like there is a sweet spot as you turn the key...if you turn to fast, it will miss, you have to get it just right. I dont know if yours is like that, but mine is and it sucks.
OMG! This is the same problem as on my gf's 1990 Honda Accord. It only happens on HOT days when the car has been sitting in the sun. My gf is a morning person and has class or work early. The days we've spent off today where we sleep in and don't use the car until 2pm or so.... this always occurs!
Old 05-18-07, 07:55 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

The honda thing is a relay under the dash. My friend has the same problem, he carries those air cans with him. When he can't start up, he pulls off one of the lower dash panels, and sprays the air can in there, upside down. It is really cold when you do that, the relay seems to tighten up and he starts the car. He has been unable to find that relay for a while.
Old 05-18-07, 09:48 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

lol air can huh?
Old 05-18-07, 12:13 PM
Jiggaman54
Rookie

Originally Posted by minla007
hmmm....i have been having problems starting my car the past few days also

but it only happens in the morning, after it has been sitting all night.

Yesterday:
i put the key in, turn to position 1, turn to position 2 , all the dash lights come on, then turn it to crank it and nothing happens. no sound, no clicking, no starting.

so then i took the key out. let it sit for a few seconds. and tried it again.
it finally worked after the 4th try, but when it did crank, it sounded very weak and it barely started.

the rest of the day, i had no problems starting it.

Today:
on my first attempt to start, it was cranking over in a very weak manner, kinda sounded like it was about to die, but it ended up starting on the first try.

hopefully it continues to start for the rest of the day.

Is this a relay problem? or starter problem? or alternator?

i dont think it is a battery issue b/c all the lights came on and i just put in a new battery a few months ago.

any thoughts???
I've had the same problem, only when I try to start it i only hear a click. On the second try it starts just fine. I checked the battery and terminals and it was fine. When you find a solution I would definitely like to know.
Old 05-18-07, 12:47 PM
minla007
Pole Position

yeah, havent found a solution yet, cuz i dont know what the exact problem is....

could be battery, could be relay, could be starter, could be alternator...i duno, im not a mechanic....i guess ill have to wait till it completely dies b4 i can truly diagnose it.....

i checked my battery and terminals and everything is tight and clean, so i have ruled that out

so its either something funny goin on w/ the relay or the starter

this problem is very intermittent....hasnt happened the past few days
Old 05-18-07, 12:51 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if you have a 300 or 400 but I had loose terminals at the starter end that was causing about the same symptoms...so check and see if the wires at the starter terminals are loose...
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (09-08-18)

Quick Reply: Starting Issue - A Toughie.