GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starting Issue - A Toughie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 01:17 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks
Not sure if you have a 300 or 400 but I had loose terminals at the starter end that was causing about the same symptoms...so check and see if the wires at the starter terminals are loose...
thanks for the tip...so did u end up tightening the terminals? if so, how and is it holding up well thus far?.....i have a 98 gs4.....

where is the starter located? anybody got pix? diy?.... im mechanically challenged...is this something i can check w/o getting the car on a lift?
Old 05-18-07, 01:46 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ouch..the starter on a 400 is under the intake between the heads....yeah its solved the problem...none since then...
Old 10-01-07, 05:16 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs400dave
I need to know if any of you have had this problem, and how it was fixed.

I have an intermittent starting problem, it seems to flare up just a few times a year. I have a 98 GS400.

I swear it's somehow related to humidity. It always seems to be rainy when this occurs - however, the car is in a garage.

The car cranks over strong, but just does not ignite. Sometimes, you can leave it alone for 1/2 hour and it'll start up. Other times, it needs to sit longer.

It's been taken to the shop several times, but has never repeated the behavior when at the shop. I know that intermittent electrical problems are the hardest to find, and I'm not willing to fork over more cash for someone to take a shotgun approach at the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with their GS, and did you find a solution?

Hey Dave:

PLs tell me you figured this out...my car does exactly what yours does. Only after overnite...only if it rains, it's worse...pls tell me how you solved it. If i keep it in the garage, no problem. Bu tat work...after sitting all day in the rain, today it did not start until after a long time.

Le t me know what you did.
Old 10-02-07, 06:26 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

I am really glad I stumbled across this thread...at first I thought what the hell does Honda problem have to do with ours??? But I looked for a Main relay and sure enough, I tapped on it after the car was running and it stalled out right away. In fact, after starting it again, I was trying to put the fuse cover on and every time it brushed up against the relay it stalled...So I bought a new relay today (I still have part number if anyone wants) and it cranked right up. I will test overnote and for the next few days and will report back.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-02-07, 09:53 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^good to know.

im trying to learn about the car just incase some mishaps occur on my car
Old 10-02-07, 11:02 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

I have a starting problem also.

My car is moody, sometimes once a month, sometimes 4 times a week, and always behaves differently. SOmetimes when I turn it all the way it clicks, and clicks and nothing happens then starts fully, sometimes doesn't click or do anything, sometimes tries to fire up and dies, and sometimes all of those 2 or 3 mixed together. SOmetimes it takes 2 tries to start the car, sometimes 20. A mechanic told me it's my starter.
Old 10-03-07, 06:29 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
I am really glad I stumbled across this thread...at first I thought what the hell does Honda problem have to do with ours??? But I looked for a Main relay and sure enough, I tapped on it after the car was running and it stalled out right away. In fact, after starting it again, I was trying to put the fuse cover on and every time it brushed up against the relay it stalled...So I bought a new relay today (I still have part number if anyone wants) and it cranked right up. I will test overnote and for the next few days and will report back.

Thanks everyone.
This is good info. Post up the part number, where the relay is located, and what needs to be removed to get access to it. I am sure it will help others in the future.
Old 10-03-07, 09:46 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

I have a 99 and I am not sure it is the same for all, but it is the Main EFI relay. It is bare metal color, and ROUND. There are only two of them in the engine compartment fuse box, one os marked DEF. It is not that one.

I used Toyota (the part number is accessible from either) because it was available in the neighborhood. No: 90987-02004-83
Old 10-03-07, 09:49 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

BTW: It rained all night again...this usually was the very worst condition for my car not to start. It started right up. I left it out in the rain specifially to test.
Old 10-08-07, 02:18 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool, now hopefully someone will use this info to help them. I have seen these issues here before. Good looks.
Old 10-09-07, 11:03 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

BTW: After a week, this has solved my problem. No more starting problems.
Old 10-09-07, 05:20 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep main relay i had that problem with both of my older model hondas
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (09-08-18)
Old 10-10-07, 01:48 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phillygs3
yep main relay i had that problem with both of my older model hondas
Thats crazy...if it weren't for you 'Honda guys' I would have spent who knows how much figuring this out. Great. I had tried everything.(Luckily spent no money though)
Old 10-15-07, 01:04 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Hey guys I opened up the relay box today, first of all I had more than two relays in there, i think there were maybe 5 or so, maybe it's different on canadian and american models. But anwyays, i have starting problems, I tried to tap on the main relay, and my car did not stall. So does that mean that my starting problem is not caused by the main relay, and by something else, or is the main relay ALWAYS supposed to make the car stall if u tap on it?
Old 10-15-07, 02:08 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Two ROUND STEEL COLORED relays. One is labeled DEF. No one said only two relays. Only two ROUND relays.

Mine was so bad you could tap it and it would stall. If you are having problems like mine it could be that relay.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue - A Toughie.