GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing belt change on my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 12:28 PM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt change on my GS400

Hi there,

My Lexus GS400 is due for a timing belt change. The toyota dealer is just 2 block from my home. Does anybody have any experience from going to a toyota dealer? My biggest concern is that the GS does no share any platform to any model toyota like the ES330 "Camry". Are they competent enough to do the job? Would appreciate if anyone can help me out on this or can anyone recommend a shop around the NYC area. My email address is Lkevon@juno.com in case if you guys have a pointer on where to go!!!

Thanks,
Old 11-26-06, 02:27 PM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say just go to a recommended local shop because you are looking to spend over $1000 for a timing belt change from the dealerships.
Old 11-27-06, 04:16 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toyota deealership should be able to do the job. The Toyota 4.7 V-8 is similar palt form. The Lexus Dealer ship will kill you. To know for sure give both a call and get their price. and make sure you ask what they include. One may include a thermostat and water pump replacement and the other may not. but it will make a big differance on the price.
How many mules do you have on it?
I would have the water pump done whil they are in there if it has not been done yet.
Another idea is to check the ph book for shops that specialize in in
toy/Lex repairs here in denver they often are far cheaper than the Lexus dealer ship.
But the shop 2blocks from your house makes it really conveinant.
Old 11-27-06, 07:38 AM
rra640
Driver

Originally Posted by Lkevon
Hi there,

My Lexus GS400 is due for a timing belt change. The toyota dealer is just 2 block from my home. Does anybody have any experience from going to a toyota dealer? My biggest concern is that the GS does no share any platform to any model toyota like the ES330 "Camry". Are they competent enough to do the job? Would appreciate if anyone can help me out on this or can anyone recommend a shop around the NYC area. My email address is Lkevon@juno.com in case if you guys have a pointer on where to go!!!

Thanks,
I had my previous '98 GS400 done at the Toyota dealer. They charged me $399, which was a coupon price for the 4.7L V8. I think Lexus wants $800 for just the belt. They did an excelent job and the tech that did the work was actually certified on Lexus and Toyota. They said they had 3 techs that were also certifed on Lexus. I would not hesitate taking it to them again.
Old 11-27-06, 10:03 AM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I will give Toyota a call and see what they can do!
btw... It has 93k miles on it right now.
Old 11-27-06, 11:56 AM
rra640
Driver

Thanks for the info. I will give Toyota a call and see what they can do!
btw... It has 93k miles on it right now.

Mine had 97k on it when they replaced it. I have sence sold that car. They can also do all the other fluid changes, but I did those myself. Good luck!
Old 11-28-06, 09:15 AM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

I just came back from Toyota for an estimate on the timing belt job. The estimations for the job is $1,195 for parts and labor; which includes change of belt, water pump, 2x idler assy's, 2x seals, and a tensioner ***'y. But I'm not sure if all the parts needed to be changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Old 11-28-06, 10:37 AM
rra640
Driver

I just came back from Toyota for an estimate on the timing belt job. The estimations for the job is $1,195 for parts and labor; which includes change of belt, water pump, 2x idler assy's, 2x seals, and a tensioner ***'y. But I'm not sure if all the parts needed to be changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Well, all I had them do was the belt for $399. A lot of people here would say to change all you mention since they are in there, but I'm not a big fan of it. If there are not any signs of leakage on the WP, why mess with it? IMHO, it's worth the gamble to have to pay a little more later if it starts leaking.

I guess it's really up to you if you think you need to replace the WP and idler's for your piece of mind. You might try to negotiate with them on the labor since most of the labor is getting to the timing belt anyway. They might come down a little on the labor.
Old 11-28-06, 12:59 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where in NY are you. I can recommend something for you if you are close enough to me.
Old 11-28-06, 01:03 PM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Where in NY are you. I can recommend something for you if you are close enough to me.
I'm located in Bayside, Queens. How about you? I'm willing to travel out of my county if a decent shop is recommeneded!!!
Old 11-28-06, 01:13 PM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rra640
Well, all I had them do was the belt for $399. A lot of people here would say to change all you mention since they are in there, but I'm not a big fan of it. If there are not any signs of leakage on the WP, why mess with it? IMHO, it's worth the gamble to have to pay a little more later if it starts leaking.

I guess it's really up to you if you think you need to replace the WP and idler's for your piece of mind. You might try to negotiate with them on the labor since most of the labor is getting to the timing belt anyway. They might come down a little on the labor.
That is around how much Toyota charge "$375" for the timing belt change only. Thanks alot for the opinions!!!
Old 12-01-06, 09:28 PM
lexoman
Rookie

has anyone had a timing belt break or heard of one breaking on a gs400,i have a 99 with about 154200 miles on the original belt,i know i am pushing my luck, just been putting it off for ever.
Old 12-02-06, 01:11 PM
p4ult
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexoman
has anyone had a timing belt break or heard of one breaking on a gs400,i have a 99 with about 154200 miles on the original belt,i know i am pushing my luck, just been putting it off for ever.
Wow and I thought I was pushing my luck at 102k
Old 12-02-06, 01:18 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

how can you tell if the timing belt has been changed?????? any ways of knowing. With my cars mileage it is due for it, but I just got it, and dont know if the prev. owner had the job done. Anyone???? Thanks
Old 12-02-06, 02:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexoman
you have B lls if your belt ever goes, you will wish you had changed the belt. toyota/lexus recommends to change the belt at 90, but they are good for another 20 to 40 kmiles. i would never push my luck with the timming belt on my gs seen many cars come in to my pops shop with broken tbels and the price triples when that happends.

Quick Reply: Timing belt change on my GS400