GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

chrome bumper trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 11:32 PM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antbo
here you go

sorry it got kinda blurry. but it says 1/4" in the corner.
thanks for the pic. Hopefully my local pep boys has them.
Old 07-01-06, 09:08 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigL
I just picked up a new set from my dealer.I wonder why the front and rear fade but not the sides?
front and rear trim is laminated plastic and the sides are actual stainless steel ,if you ever take one of the trim pieces of the bottom of the door the trim is actually about 1.5 inches wide and is glued to the cladding from the back
Old 07-01-06, 09:15 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

you can buy black trim for bumpers at any auto body supply store, the sides are a bit tricky,all the cladding will have to come off on the bottom of the doors and fenders,after you have to pull the stainless steel trim out of the cladding,I recommend powdercoating as I did on this car,it will outlast any tape or paint and looks bad *** on a black car

Originally Posted by Exsys2000
Does anyone know if this is available in black? I would love to black out all of the chrome on my car similar to the way it worked with replacing the chrome emblems with the black pearl. I am not sure how it would work with the trim around the windows. The only chrome I really want to keep would be on a set of wheels but with black hubs. Tinted tail lights are the next mod I want to tackle.
Old 07-01-06, 02:40 PM
tex75021
Driver School Candidate

A little more info on this, the origional chrome bumper trim from lexus was $71.44,
part number was 5271130200
googling that i found a place that sells it for $40.99.

The chrome peice that goes from the windsheild over the door to the back windsheild was 239.56
driver side part number was 7550630230
passenger was 7550530230
Googling that gets nothing

I doubt that helps anyone but good to know otherwise.

from Sewell in Plano tx...
Old 07-01-06, 04:02 PM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

3 pep boys later i finally found it...guess its a hot item..haha
Old 07-01-06, 04:12 PM
tex75021
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan
3 pep boys later i finally found it...guess its a hot item..haha
Any chance of getting a before and after photo on the pepboys stuff?
Old 07-01-06, 06:49 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by exvelocity
you can buy black trim for bumpers at any auto body supply store, the sides are a bit tricky,all the cladding will have to come off on the bottom of the doors and fenders,after you have to pull the stainless steel trim out of the cladding,I recommend powdercoating as I did on this car,it will outlast any tape or paint and looks bad *** on a black car
Yep, that is the look I want but I would like to get the trim around the window black too. Black pearl or platinum would be best to me. Some ideas that crossed my mind for each was black pin stripe or tint but I don't think either will stick well in the heat of southern Louisiana. I guess you can call me as anti-bling as it gets. Something about an all blacked out car that I really like.
Old 07-01-06, 10:39 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Exsys2000
Yep, that is the look I want but I would like to get the trim around the window black too. Black pearl or platinum would be best to me. Some ideas that crossed my mind for each was black pin stripe or tint but I don't think either will stick well in the heat of southern Louisiana. I guess you can call me as anti-bling as it gets. Something about an all blacked out car that I really like.
you can also tape off all the stainless steel trim neatly and use acid etch primer which will bite into the stainless steel and then shoot black paint over it, couple months ago I did that to a brand new Avalon also smoked out the headlights and tailights, it turned out sweet.
Old 07-02-06, 09:52 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by exvelocity
you can also tape off all the stainless steel trim neatly and use acid etch primer which will bite into the stainless steel and then shoot black paint over it, couple months ago I did that to a brand new Avalon also smoked out the headlights and tailights, it turned out sweet.
That sounds risky, like a lot of work and permanent. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-03-06, 01:52 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys,

I just got new side skirts and rear bumper for my GS. My bodyshop told me that there's no reason why the chrome trim can't be reused.

So after a week I picked up my car. The trim on the side skirts (it replaces the small panels by the doors) and the rear bumper were all re-used from my stock ones, and they seem to be fine, with no cracks or bents. Saved myself close to $100 (including side trims)
Old 07-03-06, 04:14 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
guys,

I just got new side skirts and rear bumper for my GS. My bodyshop told me that there's no reason why the chrome trim can't be reused.

So after a week I picked up my car. The trim on the side skirts (it replaces the small panels by the doors) and the rear bumper were all re-used from my stock ones, and they seem to be fine, with no cracks or bents. Saved myself close to $100 (including side trims)
The reason I think most people are replacing the trim is because after a while it looks like crap. The chrome over plastic fades with time. I don't think it was necessarily because of bends or cracks. I have no bends or cracks in mine and I'm considering replacement.
Old 07-03-06, 12:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
The reason I think most people are replacing the trim is because after a while it looks like crap. The chrome over plastic fades with time. I don't think it was necessarily because of bends or cracks. I have no bends or cracks in mine and I'm considering replacement.
I see. There were discussions years ago on CL about the chrome trim bending or cracking if you try to remove it, so people buy new ones for their new bumpers.

In that case, my chrome trims are still in good condition
Old 07-03-06, 02:29 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tex75021
A little more info on this, the origional chrome bumper trim from lexus was $71.44,

The chrome peice that goes from the windsheild over the door to the back windsheild was 239.56
passenger was 7550530230

Thanks guys I nneded this information. My tim is dull and the chrome has worn off too. I'm going to get my front bumper repainted and replacing the rear bumper and will need them soon. Where did you find them for $40.99?
Old 07-03-06, 02:30 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tex75021

passenger was 7550530230

Thanks guys I neded this information. My trim is dull and the chrome has worn off too. I'm going to get my front bumper repainted and replacing the rear bumper and will need them soon. Where did you find it for $40.99?

Last edited by Lexizm; 07-03-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 03:40 PM
tex75021
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Thanks guys I nneded this information. My tim is dull and the chrome has worn off too. I'm going to get my front bumper repainted and replacing the rear bumper and will need them soon. Where did you find it for $40.99?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...FR69-LX1044102

Anyone have an idea on where to get the top chrome window trim for cheaper, got 1 nasty dent on the drivers side and then 2 large dents on the passenger but don't feel like paying $500 on the part

Quick Reply: chrome bumper trim