GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oh Snap JP Style Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 09:02 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Snap JP Style Taillights

Maybe some of you have already seen this, but i just found them. Still priced a bit high for knock off's, but they look good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...0124QQtcZphoto

I think i'll wait until the price drops some.

Kyle
Old 02-02-06, 09:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Says its a WISE make (a brand name) but has some tricky wording about a "D.I.Y project "

I wonder if you'd get a set of 2001+ tails and a couple of pieces of clear plastic
Old 02-02-06, 09:24 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive read this like 10x

Dave you know these Pic Stealers

I wouldnt trust these guys

Wise Square is the old WISE SPORTS

I saw these guys at TAS and they didnt have a booth like this, nor did I see these lights
Old 02-02-06, 09:30 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

These were all the lights that were at the Wise Square Booth

http://www.wisesports.co.jp/catalog/besiege/index.html

Click others and then lamp
Old 02-02-06, 09:46 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

Default ebay Japan link too

I found the same lights on ebay japan and if you translate it you can read a bit more about them. Not a whole lot more to read....but some people may find it interesting. At least the price is cheaper in the event you have contact over in Japan, or you can use Rinkya.

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h33117046

Enjoy,
Kyle
Old 02-02-06, 09:54 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

Default DIY or not?

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Says its a WISE make (a brand name) but has some tricky wording about a "D.I.Y project "

I wonder if you'd get a set of 2001+ tails and a couple of pieces of clear plastic
I'm thinking that they are not DIY lights. I'm pretty sure it's the light just like you see it. At least that was the case before when i bought a set of the smoked lights for my Silvia from them. The quality was rather lightweight (as in not as dense/beefy as OEM) but i have not had any problems with them to date.

At least i think it's the whole completed light assembly.

IIRC...the auction for my Silvia lights also said something about DIY, but i think the point they were trying to get across through broken Engrish was that it's a DIY "swap out".

Kyle
Old 02-02-06, 10:00 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

umm. the DIY add on means that its an add on you can DO YOURSELF....

The lights don't look that bad. I'd buy them.

The whole thing about Junction Produce is that they don't make some of the parts they sell. I saw a member on here that got the "Juction Produce chrome door handles" I hate to ask what he paid for these. These are actually made by another company and RE-PACKAGED as Junction Produce. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make their own tail lights either. Although these are LED's though.
Old 02-02-06, 10:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
umm. the DIY add on means that its an add on you can DO YOURSELF....
That's likely what it means, but if you read the fine print on the page this is a no-returns kind of place and they might be ripping you off. It's just like those auctions for the Xbox360 'box'. I personally would never buy anything for $1K that is so iffy. If you want to try it be my guest

As Johnny alludes above I *think* this is the same place that was selling 'junction produce style' taillights and they had the nerve to hotlink to my personal webpage for the pictures on their auction using my car.

Let's just say they had a sudden change in pictures that I'd never show my mother on their auction
Old 02-02-06, 10:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

do it yourself? let's just say i was there when we tried to take apart a 01+ taillight. thinking that it's easy to take off and put back on without leak or crack is a wishful thinking. putting it together and such i am not sure if it can be a diy
Old 02-02-06, 10:31 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it yourself as in UNBOLT your light and put the new one in......not rocket science for most...
Old 02-02-06, 10:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

cheapo cheapo tail lights don't worth 1k!!
Old 02-03-06, 12:52 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those dont look like it was made from OEM raw materials like the JP.

The clear parts looks even thicker than the original orange piece. For some reason the whole tail lights look off balance to me. (like the center ring for the brake light)

also, the Black plastic area where the two bolt holes are looks too glossy. what if these were the same lights luxury mods were suppose to release?

Last edited by mikal; 02-03-06 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 01:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For $1k, I'd pay a little more to get the JPs. I agree with mikal where these lights just seem off somehow.
Old 02-03-06, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
For $1k, I'd pay a little more to get the JPs. I agree with mikal where these lights just seem off somehow.
good point there chris. for 1000 i might just as well spend the extra to get the jp which looks a lot better (maybe i am biased). if it's 400 or 500 then i might be able to justify. at least this one looks better than the lm ones i think.

anyway, here the taillights in question:

anyone notice that the clear strip looks a lot "thicker" than the jp? i understand how they did it. they basically just cut out the whole bubtom part of the taillight and put in a clear piece, whereas for the jp they actually carefully cut out just the amber, leaving the outter red ring and then glue on the clear part back (amazing craftmanship). but i am kinda surprised at the visual effect.

here's mine for comparison:

you can see what i mean
Old 02-03-06, 02:43 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As metioned the price here in Japan is a whole lot cheaper $550 on Yahoo.co.jp auction after conversion, but you have no recourse if you aren't happy... JP stuff you know what you are getting.

Quick Reply: Oh Snap JP Style Taillights