GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sunroof wont close all the way. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 03:19 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof wont close all the way. HELP

Well, last week I had the sunroof opened up all the way. Tried to close it and it didnt want to. It would close a 1/4 of the way and go back. Almost like it was stuck on something. Finally after sticking my hand between the sunroof and the shade cover I was able to close it somehow. Yesterday when I was leaving the gym I forgot about it and opened it again. Now it wont close and I dont want to have to take it to Lexu$. I did a search and couldnt really find anything. Maybe the motor is bad? I am hoping that someone else had this and was able to fix it. Help a CL brother out! It would tilt up no problem also, just the retracting was bad.
Old 11-16-05, 03:57 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. The sunroof would act as if it was going to close and then pop open again 1/4 of the way. Basically what I did what was clean out really good the area around the sunroof trim. The first time around I did not find anything, but after cleaning it well, it worked fine and closed completely. The second time around I did clean off some two or three dried out leaves and this cured the problem as well. Also you may want to grease up what ever area in the mechanism needs greasing.

Good Luck you ya................
Old 11-16-05, 07:27 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

you need to use a high pressure blower, and blow out the rails of your sunroof then spray some silicone in the rails. that should cure your problem.
Old 09-08-08, 09:19 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang it, mines doing it now. it better not rain!!!
Old 09-08-08, 09:41 AM
drewefx
Pole Position

Mine does the same thing
i just use my hand and lightly force it to close then that was it. No more problems... but i should clean the rails for sure with silicone, good idea for sure!!!!
Old 09-08-08, 11:18 AM
jriggs
Lead Lap

^ silicone lube not bonding agent
Old 10-20-08, 06:38 AM
kit cat

alright, mines stuck again. and it's the runner on the passenger that's stuck. argh!!
Old 02-04-09, 07:51 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
alright, mines stuck again. and it's the runner on the passenger that's stuck. argh!!
bump,anyone know a DIY? I got an exploded diagram of the sunroof assy from the dealership but it looks extremely confusing...especially when I dont know the root of the issue.
Old 02-04-09, 08:54 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
bump,anyone know a DIY? I got an exploded diagram of the sunroof assy from the dealership but it looks extremely confusing...especially when I dont know the root of the issue.
Check to see if there are any crimps in the track or if the arm is slightly bent. Not sure how it would happen, but stranger things have occurred. The silicone spray is a good idea for this and for a periodic spritz on the door hinges. Keeps the dust from settling in. And I 2nd the idea of hitting it with a blast of air so long as you have the cover closed to prevent it from dropping stuff in the car and creating a bigger mess. I would also get a small brush and dust it out and use that to block it from shooting anything into the rear of the assembly.

Big Mack
Old 03-31-09, 05:16 AM
kit cat

checked rails, brushed, used my compressor to blow the crap out, and regreased...still no luck.

it seems as if the passenger side rail has stopped moving completely...I don't even want to know how much Lexus would charge for this. Has anyone tackled this?
Old 03-31-09, 01:50 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does this too at times. Here's my secret: When the sunroof goes to close, just before it reaches the fully close position, I hit the down button, then quickly click the close button again, and then the down button again, and then the close button again. It's worked for me for 3 years! Haha....
Old 04-01-09, 11:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Mine does this too at times. Here's my secret: When the sunroof goes to close, just before it reaches the fully close position, I hit the down button, then quickly click the close button again, and then the down button again, and then the close button again. It's worked for me for 3 years! Haha....
it almost seems like u doing the contra code....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code
The following users liked this post:
fattiresc (07-13-23)
Old 04-01-09, 11:45 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by sleeper408
you, i've been doing this too. until the sunroof decided to completely stop working!!!!
Old 04-26-09, 11:49 AM
kit cat

bump before I tackle this adventure myself.
Old 04-26-09, 12:13 PM
MaSfLOw
Pole Position

the same thing is happening to my 96 es300 it stops half way then it open..when i try to close it it goes half way then nothing i disconnected the battery on the car for some reason it closed all the way but its is still doing the same problem..thinking about carrying a pry bar with me everytime i open it lollll...

Quick Reply: Sunroof wont close all the way. HELP