GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK let's see what do I 'hate' about a STOCK 2nd gen GS... (hate is too strong for me though)

- Sunshade defect (ends up slipping back and rattling over time, but Henry now has a fix )
- Center armrest leather gets a depression in it from my elbow
so you did the roof fix already too? how is it doing so far?

and man, you must have a very heavy arm
Old 03-04-05, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Cadd
Get outta here! There's an opening there??? I swore I heard rattles coming from that area (I thought it was either the parking brake lever or something loose). The next time I drive it, I'll check to see if the previous owner left me a gift
hahhaa come on now, you gotta try and push every panel on the interior
Old 03-04-05, 10:31 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so much "hate"...

More like "pet peeves"

1. One touch windows are too sensitive. I want to lower the window 3 inches and instead it wants to go all the way down. Then I push up too hard and end up with the window going up and down a few times. Real nice in stop and go traffic-people look at you like

2. Un lighted Home Link buttons. Yeah, I guess over time I'll get used to finding them in the dark, but a small indicator light would have been nice (just recently got around to programming my garage door opener into Home Link).

3. Sunshade squeak/rattle. Think it's OK now, but not sure.

4. Gas mileage not too great (probably my fault mostly).

Agree with the stock ride complaint, but it's all OK now!
Old 03-04-05, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
More like "pet peeves"

1. One touch windows are too sensitive. I want to lower the window 3 inches and instead it wants to go all the way down. Then I push up too hard and end up with the window going up and down a few times. Real nice in stop and go traffic-people look at you like

2. Un lighted Home Link buttons. Yeah, I guess over time I'll get used to finding them in the dark, but a small indicator light would have been nice (just recently got around to programming my garage door opener into Home Link).

3. Sunshade squeak/rattle. Think it's OK now, but not sure.

4. Gas mileage not too great (probably my fault mostly).

Agree with the stock ride complaint, but it's all OK now!
haha the gas mileage is definitely your fault man. cut out your lead foot and it will help i thought our v8 is already one of the more gas saving v8 already?
Old 03-04-05, 11:28 PM
SRK
Driver

I don't hate anything, although I have a few dislikes.

1. The brakes are difficult to modulate - the pedal feel from the booster is unnatural. My LS brakes are far easier to modulate.
2. The headlight condensation problem.
3. Sensitive window auto down feature
4. Thrumming at idle with the AC off.

Other than that, it is the best damn car I have ever owned. I like the paint, like the handling and braking power, the seats are just dandy for my size, and after driving a pals MB CL320 (or whatever the hell it is called) it is not a Mercedes, which is the best thing of all!
Old 03-04-05, 11:52 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

What I hate........

1) No performance division. We had L-Tuned but lexus cut it way too early. Hello the early years are rough, profits will come, you do have to build interest you know. They could blow AMG and M away if they would just do it but we haven't seen it yet. C'mon guys.

2) no stick shift.

3) weight

4) Better heated seats. On/Off doesn't cut it when audi has 8 level heated seats. Maybe it's just me but my stock seats don't get that hot.

Last edited by flossn; 03-04-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-05-05, 06:16 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
More like "pet peeves"

You sound just like my gf. I agree, it is much more sensitive than other cars. But guys, be gentle. My gf got so annoyed one time because it went all the way down and when she tried to stop it, it went all the way up and all the way down and up and down. She had a little fit and just started b i tching and cursing and started to bang on the damn thing. I almost pulled over and killed her when she started banging on it.
Old 03-05-05, 07:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
You sound just like my gf. I agree, it is much more sensitive than other cars. But guys, be gentle. My gf got so annoyed one time because it went all the way down and when she tried to stop it, it went all the way up and all the way down and up and down. She had a little fit and just started b i tching and cursing and started to bang on the damn thing. I almost pulled over and killed her when she started banging on it.
Enough about your gf, what the heck did you find in your coin holder?
Old 03-05-05, 07:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so you did the roof fix already too? how is it doing so far?
Henry, I've realized that even though my sunshade slips back a 1/2" (after being replaced a year or two ago), it doesn't rattle now so I haven't tried to 'fix' it. I found another rattle above me that was driving me nuts and finally located it as coming from the map/interior light panel. If I just press it the rattle goes away for a while. I'm going to have to open it carefully and pad or caulk it or something!

and man, you must have a very heavy arm
Hehe - I dunno, seems my elbow always sits in one spot pressing in instead of just being flat on top and that's stretched the leather a bit over all the time.
Old 03-05-05, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Henry, I've realized that even though my sunshade slips back a 1/2" (after being replaced a year or two ago), it doesn't rattle now so I haven't tried to 'fix' it. I found another rattle above me that was driving me nuts and finally located it as coming from the map/interior light panel. If I just press it the rattle goes away for a while. I'm going to have to open it carefully and pad or caulk it or something!

Hehe - I dunno, seems my elbow always sits in one spot pressing in instead of just being flat on top and that's stretched the leather a bit over all the time.
cool deal. hope you can fix it soon. i always want to see if people in general got that rattle fix, but seems like no one has tried and posted their feedback

and i can tell you, a new armrest will cost about 300
Old 03-05-05, 01:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
cool deal. hope you can fix it soon. i always want to see if people in general got that rattle fix, but seems like no one has tried and posted their feedback

and i can tell you, a new armrest will cost about 300
my sunroof is bugging the crap out of me- I'm still scared to go yanking on my headliner
Old 03-05-05, 02:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
Yeah i really hate the vibration too.....sometimes its there and sometimes it's not as bad. While I was getting the Ltuned suspension installed by a Lexus mechanic(not at the dealer though ) he states that you can eliminate the problem by replacing something in the steering rack ( where that bolt is) with the polyurethane part and it will eliminate the vibration on the steering wheel.

My dislikes
1) Stock handling is poor
2)brakes kinda mushy but stops well
3)HID could be brighter (I had 01 celica with HID and it was much brighter)
I think the Musy brakes is part of Lexus' luxury trademark. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd actually prefer the mushy-ish brakes on my SC than the FIRM grip of braking on my mother's MB c240 (the ride is horrible, everytime the car brakes, you wanna hurl, or at least I do).
Old 03-05-05, 02:54 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think my brakes are very strong, just not touchy. when I drove 06 GS430, the brakes were REAL touchy, took a while to get used to. Then when I got back in my car it felt like I had no brakes.
Old 03-05-05, 09:11 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

It's hard to have sex in the front seat while driving.
Old 03-05-05, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jonathancl
It's hard to have sex in the front seat while driving.
wtf?! this is a really good one. for sure i have never tried it @_@

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS