GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wheels with no drop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 09:53 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels with no drop?

I'm loving my new (to me) 99 GS400, its been amazing. As I start my modding (so far - Infinity Kappa 10.1 free air sub - MTX amp running it, the Sport Design replica trunk lip, clear corners, Polarg M4 parking lights, outboard GPS with the Panavise mount - not bad for 8 days of ownership), I'm looking into wheel options. I'd like to keep my ride the same (or marginally different), as I came off a lowered car (Eibach springs and KYB AGX shocks) and hated it. I don't need handling, I'm all for the superficial right now

Brings me to my question - does anyone have an opinion on which rims look good with the stock ride height? Honestly, the only thing I've seen so far in the gallery that looks decent, are the stock 17"'s. I'm looking to stay at 17" or 18".
Old 01-27-05, 10:30 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to be honest now....without a drop...the gs looks so-so...and with wheels + no drop...ouch! 4 x 4
Old 01-28-05, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

might as well just stay with 17s if you are keeping the stock heights. getting bigger rims with no drop, i dont' think it will look good at all
Old 01-28-05, 03:13 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say take it slow and do it right yea I know your excited and want to make it look good right away but good things are done over time. Plus their are so many option's of wheels out their you may buy something know just to change the look but it may not be what you want in the long run.
Old 01-28-05, 11:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
might as well just stay with 17s if you are keeping the stock heights. getting bigger rims with no drop, i dont' think it will look good at all
My thoughts exactly. Even going to 18s without a drop will not look "right". More metal and less rubber just draws attention to that gap even more.
Old 01-28-05, 11:44 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicola
I'd like to keep my ride the same (or marginally different), as I came off a lowered car (Eibach springs and KYB AGX shocks) and hated it. I don't need handling, I'm all for the superficial right now
What type of car did you have before? The Lexus can be set up to still maintain a very good ride with with Springs and Shocks.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 01-28-05 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 01:30 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the stock ride on the GS is 77 Cadilac = BOAT= UNSAFE!

I love my ride with aftermarket Springs and Shocks.
Old 01-28-05, 01:34 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Stock = UNSAFE?

Dude, wtf are you talking about? If it's so unsafe, why are they allowed on the road?
Old 01-28-05, 01:54 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^5 @ Cadd, I agree that statement was way out left field. I guess I better get my lawyers together for my UNSAFE stock setup. Too Nicola: Take your time. I too have not decided on drop or not. I have seen a few with 18 w/o drop that looks natural. Found that actually some vehicles actually have a different height than others stock. I thought my springs and shocks was bad because it was riding kinda low. Lexus dealer said it's okay and I have no problem, and I actually would not have to change my springs if I go to 18's. It will fill that gap just fine. Good luck, I hope to have mine pic posted in next few weeks with my wheels and tint. And that will be it for the modding.
Old 01-28-05, 03:18 PM
Cypress
Driver

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
to be honest now....without a drop...the gs looks so-so...and with wheels + no drop...ouch! 4 x 4
Well... my GS with 20's and no drop gets nothing but compliments. I will be dropping an inch or so soon, but Im very comfortable with the look as is.
Old 01-28-05, 03:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels with no drop is like school in the summer time

No class

Just kidding man lolololl

but most of us go with some sort of drop

adds to looks and performance

look around im sure youll find the setup perfect for you

johnny
Old 01-28-05, 03:52 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
Stock = UNSAFE?

Dude, wtf are you talking about? If it's so unsafe, why are they allowed on the road?
I don't know, but its a great question. go ahead and make a sharp lane change at freeway speed and tell me if the car doesn't feel like it's going to flip on it's side.

OK, It's safe. It just doesn't FEEL safe.
Old 01-28-05, 04:33 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

I have the 18" l-tuned wheels which have a slightly smaller diameter w/tires than then16" I am using now. It may not be as sharp as a lowered car but it definately is better than the stock 16".
I would not go bigger than 18 unless you lower somewhat. As a side note just switching the wheel diameter will reduce the ride comfort and increase noise levels. I put the 16s on for the winter and sometimes hate to go back to 18s because the lexus quiet and floaty ride will be gone. Guess I am getting old
Old 01-28-05, 04:39 PM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Default Patience

18's will do just fine and not give you the 4x4 look. 20's or so so with out a drop. If you do drop it make sure you get the struts right away. There is a little more meat on a 18' tire. To me they feal more friendly on the road. I have 20's on my car and sometimes are not always please with a 35 series tire. But damm they look good.
Old 01-28-05, 04:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alexulan
I don't know, but its a great question. go ahead and make a sharp lane change at freeway speed and tell me if the car doesn't feel like it's going to flip on it's side.

OK, It's safe. It just doesn't FEEL safe.
I know what you mean, one of the first thing I noticed about the GS400 when I got it was the fact that engine SEVERLY overpowered the suspension (stock 16s). It just felt so floaty and loose, did not "feel" safe, just you mentioned. Sort of felt like control could be lost during hi-speed aggressive driving.

Quick Reply: Wheels with no drop?