GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ANYONE has a moonroof clicking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 07:30 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fill them garnishes with expanding foam.
Old 01-13-13, 10:29 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I got my headliner off. My popping sound was coming from an area BEHIND the sunroof at the driver side corner. If I applied a bit of pressure with my fingers while driving, it would stop.

So now that the headliner is removed I can see where it was popping. The headliner was hitting the bottom of the sunroof tray. The popping has gotten worse over the years. I'm adding adhesive backed foam where the rubbing marks were. And I'm adding some new foam over the old stock foam just to be safe.

Now I just have to figure out how to remove the sunroof shade. I'm still in the middle of my tan to black swap, and am just now getting around to doing the top half, but I've decided I think I want to just recover my tan top half in black fabric.

If I don't like it, I can always put up the stock gray pieces. I'm just wondering how big of a pain it will be to remove that shade.

Brian, have any advice???
Old 01-13-13, 07:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
Now I just have to figure out how to remove the sunroof shade. I'm still in the middle of my tan to black swap, and am just now getting around to doing the top half, but I've decided I think I want to just recover my tan top half in black fabric.

If I don't like it, I can always put up the stock gray pieces. I'm just wondering how big of a pain it will be to remove that shade.

Brian, have any advice???
its a PITA micheal because you literally have to remove the sunroof to do it....i have now had my sunroof out 3 times so im pretty familiar with it. its really self explanatory once you get the headliner down what you need to do but its tedious to do it. i started to make a step by step DIY to add to that DIY that member did on how to suede the headliner (since he didnt cover this part) but i didnt have time as it takes two people to remove the sunroof and my "helpers" time was sparse.

once you get the sunroof down there are 5-6 small phillips screws you need to remove from the end of the sunroof (part closest to the trunk) to allow this to slide out and to slide your new one in.
Old 01-14-13, 07:57 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
its a PITA micheal because you literally have to remove the sunroof to do it....i have now had my sunroof out 3 times so im pretty familiar with it. its really self explanatory once you get the headliner down what you need to do but its tedious to do it. i started to make a step by step DIY to add to that DIY that member did on how to suede the headliner (since he didnt cover this part) but i didnt have time as it takes two people to remove the sunroof and my "helpers" time was sparse.

once you get the sunroof down there are 5-6 small phillips screws you need to remove from the end of the sunroof (part closest to the trunk) to allow this to slide out and to slide your new one in.
So does the WHOLE sunroof mechanism need to come down? Do I need to remove the glass? Do you really need two people? I was looking at the Lexus tech manual this morning before work. As usual, it's not terribly helpful. Any tips you have to make it easier?

Get this, driving it to work this morning, I STILL heard the pop!! And the headliner isn't even in the car?? So now I've got to get someone to drive the car to recreate the pop, while I sit in back and track down the EXACT location. I was hoping to have this done by the end of the weekend yesterday. No such luck.

BTW, since it looks like I'll be having my headliner off most, if not all week, I think I'll try doing another DIY. This one will be for the sunroof, since GS400Jay already did the headliner bit, I think I'll just skip that part. Although I would change a few of his steps, it definitely helps.

Should be interesting......stay tuned.
Old 01-15-13, 12:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
So does the WHOLE sunroof mechanism need to come down? Do I need to remove the glass? Do you really need two people? I was looking at the Lexus tech manual this morning before work. As usual, it's not terribly helpful. Any tips you have to make it easier?

Get this, driving it to work this morning, I STILL heard the pop!! And the headliner isn't even in the car?? So now I've got to get someone to drive the car to recreate the pop, while I sit in back and track down the EXACT location. I was hoping to have this done by the end of the weekend yesterday. No such luck.

BTW, since it looks like I'll be having my headliner off most, if not all week, I think I'll try doing another DIY. This one will be for the sunroof, since GS400Jay already did the headliner bit, I think I'll just skip that part. Although I would change a few of his steps, it definitely helps.

Should be interesting......stay tuned.
call me when you get time tomorrow micheal.....dont feel like typing tonight