ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   ANYONE has a moonroof clicking problem? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/100926-anyone-has-a-moonroof-clicking-problem.html)

chanhichan 11-04-03 10:33 PM

ANYONE has a moonroof clicking problem?

Hello to all Lexus GS owners.
I am new to the club and I have a question. I drive GS300 99 model. from couple days ago, I started to hear clicking nose from my moonroof. Most of time, I put in Tilted position (for air circulation purpose) and that is when I hear that clicking nose, even in low speed.
Like everyone knows, Lexus is the quietest you can possibly drive, and this clicking sound is driving me crazy.
if someone knows about this problem, plz help.

It seems like it is not coming from the glass part. it is rather coming from the cover.
plz help

LexFather 11-04-03 10:40 PM

Welcome to ClubLexus. Clicking as in the sunroof is trying to open some more and it's jammed? Or clicking as in a lil noise. B/C the plastic liner around the sunroof clicks, expecially in changes in weather.

redgs4 11-04-03 10:41 PM

I'm at nearly 3 years with that sound and have been unable to diagnose or get it fixed. Driving with the inner cover all the way open seems to minimize the sound but lately even that is not working. My best attempt to address the problem involves getting a loud exhaust. :D One of these days I'm when I upgrade the audio I'm going to strip the interior and eliminate that and many other of the squeaks and rattles that have developed. Still, not too bad for a 6 year old car...

1SICKLEX has pointed out one source of irritation but it's not the only one from the sunroof area.

chanhichan 11-04-03 10:47 PM

THX FOR THE REPLIES.
I think that inner plastic liner is the one that causes a problem. It just rattles, and I can only minimize that sound by closing or opening a moonroof and an inner liner all the way.
If I can take that moonroof apart, I would probably tight some screws, but it seems pretty hard to take that off with so little space.

I can not even go to dealer, since there is no deal close to where I live.

Thx for your replies though...

LexFather 11-04-03 10:56 PM

Dude, that is one of the very few Lexus things I have yet to figure out. It's in the ES, SC, LS etc and for some reason creaks. I just turn up the music. But your not hearing things. It is the plastic liner. No fix for it either.

GS4IV 11-05-03 02:43 AM

On my car the cover when completely closed or fully open is quiet. The sound appears when the cover slides back a bit from the closed position.
No fix yet.

babyGS3 11-05-03 04:30 AM

have the same clicking noise... all i have to do is pull it closed... really closed. but it is annoying that it does get loose again and starts clicking.... need to somehow fix that...

Neo 11-05-03 10:31 AM

Originally posted by babyGS3
have the same clicking noise... all i have to do is pull it closed... really closed. but it is annoying that it does get loose again and starts clicking.... need to somehow fix that...
I am so used to just reaching up and pull it fully closed now. I don't even think about it anymore. :(

GSquicksilver 11-05-03 11:52 AM

it's not the inner plastics. i've taken them apart and i still hear the clicking noises. i'm thinking the tracks that the moonroof actually roll on are loose.

LS4fun 11-05-03 03:42 PM

I've read on here before that someone had a fix for this. Something about adding a plastic or rubber piece from what I recollect. Hopefully someone can add an appropriate thread reference.

I know the ANSWER IS OUT THERE! :p

LexFather 11-05-03 04:00 PM

I've read on here before that someone had a fix for this. Something about adding a plastic or rubber piece from what I recollect. Hopefully someone can add an appropriate thread reference.
Good point. I remember this too.

Neo 11-05-03 04:27 PM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Good point. I remember this too.
I think Bit also did something about this problem.

LS4fun 11-05-03 05:23 PM

Come on...someone help this fellow CL member with this problem...i know the ANSWER IS OUT THERE!

D2-AUTOSPORT 11-05-03 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Neo
I am so used to just reaching up and pull it fully closed now. I don't even think about it anymore. :(
same here!! I thought it was just me!!

DickLexus 11-05-03 07:39 PM

This is the Technical Service Bulletin on the problem:

Moonroof - Creak Noise Reduction
BODY
BO004-99

December 3, 1999

Title:
MOONROOF CREAK NOISE REDUCTION

Models:
'98 - '99 GS 400/300

Introduction
To reduce a creaking/popping noise from the moonroof area, the following two production changes have been made: Felt pieces have been added to the sliding Roof Garnish and the Sliding Roof Glass Sub-Assembly.

Applicable Vehicles
1998 - 1999 GS 400/300 vehicles.

It cost about $250 if your vehicle is out of warranty, which most 98-99 are.

D. L.