GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1GS3 Stall out. Start up. Rinse and repeat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 07:26 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1GS3 Stall out. Start up. Rinse and repeat.

Been having issues with my 2JZGE motor. Started yesterday. In the last 2 months I've replaced timing belt, water pump, intake manifold gasket. Spark plugs. 3 of the 6 plug wires are currently brand new (lol.. starres the job at work thinking it was going to be easier than I thought then realized I didn't have all the tools or time to finish, will finish today) new distributor, new O2 sensors. Actually went junk yard shipping yesterday looking for some interior parts, seats etc... She was running great all morning. Let it run trying to diagnose a tiny vacuum leak I can hear near the Y plenum. Drove home ran grear.. took ito later to meet with realtor to look at some houses. Got to first house car still in good shape. Took it for second house and my girl was driving. She got down on it to pull out onto highway access road, but not hard she isn't a "romper" by any means.. the car started bucking and sputteribs it might have even backfired a couple times. Not certain it all happened it if the blue and my main concern was getting her to get it out of oncoming traffic. Pull over to shoulder and it perks up. So we continue to the second house. (They had me really confused because it isn't done that since I fixed the distributor two weeks ago.)

Leave second house to look at third house. Starts fine. Get out on access road again and ask is well until the first stop light and it stalls and dies. Turn key and it didn't want to fire up, eventually did after maybe 5 tries but only ten for 5 seconds or so and dies again) try a few more times and It tries to catvh but never starteded all the way. (Seems like a fuel issue at the moment) plenty of gas though, at least half a tank... Get it to side of road. Walk down the hill to the Wendy's (after repeatedly trying to start it to no avail) didn't want to run battery down in case it might start in a little while. (Just had a sneaking suspicion).. 30 minutes later my friend arrived and I just hand him the keys "go try it and tell me what YOU think" I see him get in.. back it up and pull up to the light.. pull it around to the Wendy's parking lot and leaves it running. So I have him follow me home. Once on the way it pulled away from a light and kinda felt like it was trying to stall again but never died. Got home let it run for half an hour never mussed a beat.. running great again. Later I tried to jump off my Maxima with the GS300 and it was 100 drgresd and dark and i saw my girl fanning herself so I told her to turn on the gs's ac. Shortly after that when I would put a load on the battery by trying to start the other car and it stsrted acting up again. Stalling and dying.

Please I'm going to brrakfast and to deposit a check and then I'm going to just invest in a fuel pump. Please please if you think you know the answer please respond. Thanks..
Deaner
Old 06-03-18, 12:17 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

to me that sounds more like something with the throttle body, idle speed air control valve, or vacuum leaks. Did you mess with the throttle position sensor at all?
Old 06-03-18, 05:33 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default No sir

Joe...
of course you come to my aid! Thanks for the reply. No sir I did not touch anything except try more diagnosis of my interior electrical issue. Which I'm thinking has something to do with the integration relay because everything that doesn't work on the inside is directly connected to the integrsinin relay.
Thing is I'd likely agree with you about the vacuum leak issue BUT I've been using this as my daily driver for months now and prior to the replacement of the distributor it would rub rough on cold starts most often but not always, but never has it died on me and I've never had it not start on the first turn of the key. It's just odd. I realize you're trying to diagnose this issue from (honestly who knows where lol) but I really truly appreciate you even reading my posts the unseen diagnosis is awesome. Honestly I can't say you're not right. I was thinking about the fuel pump or with the jumping off thing where the voltage drop made it happen only makes me wonder about a bad ground maybe. I'm not even sure I mentioned the jumping off thing but I'll post more when I know more thanks JWFro. 😉

I appreciate everything bro, and for any help I might receive. I apologize for the horrid spelling that may be in these posts. I've got a new phone and I thought a new even larger fuggin phone would make texting with my big *** hands easier. Not so much so. Anyway if there's something I need to clear up please just ask. Thanks guys
Deaner
Old 06-03-18, 10:39 PM
joewitafro
Racer

No problem, You saying that it previously had a cold start run rough issue makes me even more think that your IACV (idle air control valve) has gummed up and is sticking. I'm just trying to go off of my days of daily driving the 2jzge and having the same issue. I ended up taking off my IACV and cleaning it, then cleaning my throttle body, and readjusting my TPS. Unplugging your battery and pulling the ECU fuse can help clear any learned messes from the ecu and let it start over.
Old 06-04-18, 02:22 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Can't hurt fasho

Man I'm definitely taking your advice before opening the box on this damned fuel pump. In just beggig for one tiny little cold front please. We hit 100 on Friday and if this summer is anything like the list summer where May/June was the beginning of 100 degree days there were 75+ straight 100+ degree days. I just got it of the hospital a while back and I've still not gotten full Norton l motion of my right hip or my right wrist not to mention all the drugs I just went through have just zapped my body of any strength not to mention two and a half months laid on my back in a hospital bed.. man two hours of just being out in the heat kills me. Life to the point where I feel like in just almost dead. Zero energy like just could pass out at any moment.. it sucks. Gonna have to look at it tomorrow. One way or another. Thanks joewitafro
Old 06-05-18, 05:06 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Current situation/latest developments

Ok anyone and everyone watching my 1st Gen Lexus GS300 TeleNovella (since I've posted all of this from my phone, hence the horrid spelling at times or just downright incorrect wording) please understand. I am still recovering from an accident late last year where I broke like a pane of old brittle glass. My wrist being one of the bones so I've since replaced my phone and the larger screen size is not making things easier as I had hoped.
Ok last night, Monday 6/4/18 I left work and drove my really great looking Maxima home and had a friend come by to help me if not just follow me when I was done to make sure I didn't die 10 miles from home in BFE without a ride around for miles. I dismantled the intake end of my car from the air box to the y plenum. I had to make room for soark plug wires that I previously could not put on. As my friend continued with the wires I took a toothbrush to the butterfly valve and the throttle body in general.the butterfly valve itself was so covered in carbon and crap that I honestly would not have been able to tell you what it was made of had I not already known. I could see the texture glisten as though it were covered with oil based paint similar to an old Van Gogh painting that's how friggin thick and nasty that thing was. So I already had a brand new can of carb cleaner and after scrubbing it about 10 times it finally was a pretty aluminum silver and coppery colored (brass?) hell maybe I don't know what it's made of after all :-/ ... So anyway it looked brand freaking new. My partner had the plug wires all routed and looking snug so we reassembled the rest of the intake realizing that the coolant hose that often gets little mention when spoken of on these threads is a real beast to remove and just as much of a beast to put back on I honestly almost would call this a job for 3 hands or even 4 if you're gonna call for a third... Might as well have your friend bring both arms with him if they're gonna come over anyway right!! Anyway. We cut out and drove up out of the depths of suburban hell that has surrounded my rental house that was once a country oasis on the county line just outside Austin City Limits.. We told my girl where the keys were to my friend's car and headed for the Chic-Fil-A to finally fill our stomachs for the last time. We actually ended up just driving thru so that we could keep it hit and on the road and really see if we were going to have issues. So we made it back and had no issues to that point so I resolved to drive it to work this morning.
i woke up and headed in as early as I could get my girl out the door. Which was NOT as early as I had wanted but that's now in the past so I'm going to avoid that particular subject. One time on the way in after getting off the highway and turning on Congress Avenue then rolling about 50 mph down it for about 2 miles we hit a light and it idled lower than in would like do I kinda tapped the gas pedal and it took care of the idle situation and never hesitated again. Now I just have to get rid of the tiny vcuum leak that I can hear almost like a friggin dog whistle. And i also have a small exhaust leak but I think I'm just going to put a set of those shiby headers on her and get the rest all fitted together nicely and consider this engine as good as new. Well new with 157k miles. But hell in Toyota years she's just a baby. So now if you have read this far then you have as much invested in this story as I do in the repair itsekf. I could use some good prayers and crossed fingers some good juju or whatever you got to send my way. Thanks for the advice Joewitafro. You have been here more than once since I started my membership to the CL forum. Thanks for calming me down so I could think logically because I was really not liking life when I had to post that first time. I'll let you know if anything comes up or changes anytime soon. Now I just have to decide whether or not a big deal if so when to take this fuel pump bank to O'Reilly's so I can get my 158 bucks plus tax back!! Have as good week folks.. if nothing comes up new or different this thread may be closed. Zero new fuel pump installed.
Thanks again!
Deaner
Old 06-05-18, 07:52 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Fuel pump is super easy to replace! Just gotta make sure you use fuel rated hose when you install it. And absolutely you're welcome for the advice. I appreciate anyone who has the same passions for this platform as I do. 150k miles is good, just stay up on maintenance. That exhaust leak and vacuum leak will cause running issues, especially because this car has multiple o2 sensors. Take a little starting fluid and spray it around your vacuum hoses to see where it is. you will get a high idle when you find it. Be easy with it!
Old 06-06-18, 12:25 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Vacuum leak/exhaust leak

Yeah Joe thanks for reminding me. I mentioned doing the carb cleaner around the suspected vacuum leak as we were working on the car this last time. I'm gonna kick l lick this issue. I've vowed to get this car running perfectly before I touch anything else on it. It's definitely got its issues too! Cosmetically and electrical. I can't say that I'm not going to attack the issues altogether before then I guess because I did attempt to fix the interior electrical issue by replacing the relay integration module thinking it had to be the culprit considering everything on that block of circuits are out. Zero interior lights except the dash illumination. Even the door ajar warning lights and the seat belt light on the dash are out. Also I have no electric door locks at all!! Now that isn't on the relay integration module but it is on the secuity module and that does tie into that junction at fuse box #1 inside under the dash. At some point I'm either going to give up on that and just hard wire a new stereo into the car by tapping into other wires and bypassing the original harness wires altogether but I'd much rather know that everything is run as correctly and as close to original as I can! I also found some 93 sc300 seats that I can get for probably 50 bucks apiece or less that are in good shape. They are the wrong color but at this point if I test them and they slide up and back they are better than the ones I've got so why not eh? As long as I can find a way to mount them I'm thinking the electrical part will be fairly easy. Unfortunately the seats I have work in every way except forward and back. But I'm ready to see what this engine is capable of when it's running like new. If you have any insight into these issues please share your thoughts!! Also in not a real rich guy if I haven't made that obvious yet so any hints on how I can make this exhaust change over any cheaper yet still retaining the performance please let me know. I've got a line on those 100 dollar headers but getting the exhaust from there back I'm afraid might get costly. I'm certainly not trying to go cheap but these are things I feel I need to get done ASAP and I at least want to do them as correctly as I can and get as much performance outo of the engine as possible. If you know Austin TX there is very little room to gallup any horsepower but I'd like to know it's there if I need it. Thanks again Joe. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-18-18, 05:41 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Joecephus....

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Fuel pump is super easy to replace! Just gotta make sure you use fuel rated hose when you install it. And absolutely you're welcome for the advice. I appreciate anyone who has the same passions for this platform as I do. 150k miles is good, just stay up on maintenance. That exhaust leak and vacuum leak will cause running issues, especially because this car has multiple o2 sensors. Take a little starting fluid and spray it around your vacuum hoses to see where it is. you will get a high idle when you find it. Be easy with it!
Hey man I'm hanging my head as I ask you this but I know that you have some exodeexper with a 2JZ-GE and honestly what I'm getting at is... What's a good entry level fairly inexpensive way to get more power in this car? Short of adding a turbo setup anyway?? I feel almost.embarrassed to ask.this outright to the rest of the CL community because I don't want to llol like the 15 year old kid (that I once was) trying to squeeze racing performance out of a Buick V6 that was way past itsi prime. If you know of anything please pass it on. I do have some cash I can spend but my girl would be packing her bags if I spent any of our house down payment money on a turbo set up! Lol and I can't blame her because I'd do the same thing of she brought home three grand worth of clothes and make up!
Old 06-18-18, 10:38 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Exhaust, which could be reused later on if you ever go turbo and cold air intake w/ air filter. You could go header but price vs performance i wouldn't even swap it out.
Old 06-19-18, 10:50 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Thanks j

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Exhaust, which could be reused later on if you ever go turbo and cold air intake w/ air filter. You could go header but price vs performance i wouldn't even swap it out.
The only reason I ever thought about the header idea was in case my cats might be old and funky. I don't want my GS straining to breathe out y'know? I figure That's as bad as not having enough air on the front end. I'd imagine though I'd be noticing it if it were having issues, but I've got that exhaust leak right there too. And if I'm correct in my thinking it's post cat so I may take your advice and just go in and get it fixed and then get something nice put on from there back. Can't hurt right!?