Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water in Intake Manifold Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 07:38 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in Intake Manifold Spark Plugs

If you've been reading my other post, this is what caused my engine shut down and no start up the other day. The guy at the shop said it could have been from when the last owner washed the engine before he gave it to me (I just got the car 2 weeks ago). But I don't think the engine was ever cleaned before I got it so I'm still curious as to how it got in there, I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think it had something to do with the rain the night before and into the morning, its the only time its rained since I got my car.

1) If water did get in there from a washing, why did it take 2 weeks to show up?

2) Is there somekind of seal around the intake manifold that could allow water to get into the spark plug holes?

3) Anything else you can think of to prevent this from happening again?

Also, he said my compression was between 175 and 200 all the way around so it was still in great condition that way.
Old 10-14-04, 09:04 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is a very sore subject with me as for the water in the intake (spark plug) area. As I got my car prepped for daily driving, I washed the engine bay very thoroughly. Clean as a pin now. Well as I got ready to fire it up, no prob. After 30-45 seconds or so it started hitting on 5 cylinders. So I thought to myself, well I got water in the distributor cap. Took it off and there was a little condensation. Well fired it up again and still hitting on 5 and then dropped another cylinder. Now I am on 4 and then it completely died. Well I pulled the timing belt cover and rear cover and started pulling plug wires. Got my flashlight and noticed a ocean of water in the intake valley. So I got my wet dry vac and started sucking water out that had a little oil residue in it. Valve covers must be leaking a bit.

Well once I got water all out and sprayed it with wd-40, fired it up again. Now she runs......well only on 5 cylinders again. Well I decided to let it run at idle to see if I can dry the infamous plugs out. 30 minutes later back to 4 cylinders again. Water was evaporating and causing other plugs to drop out. Well after 3 hours of drying and drying and drying, busted knuckles and sore knees from leaning into the engine bay, I got that 3 cylinder dry come to find out. Its under the plenum and was a biiiaaatttccchhh to dry. Finally she runs on all 6 again.

My .02
DO NOT WASH MOTOR TOOOO MUCH UNLESS YOU WANT A HEADACHE

Good luck on whatever it may be