GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

gen 1 coilover Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 06:14 PM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gen 1 coilover Question

For those wiser and more educated on this topic than I: Which of the 2 would you choose, given they are similar in price. Why?

A: used (good condition) cusco coilovers

B: new Megan Racing coilover - Street LP Series

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-16, 11:11 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would try and find shock dyno plots and visually compare the 2 different brands at the least. And even then it may not reveal everything. Sometimes from manufacturers all 4 shocks can be listed as the same valving, but do completely different things on a shock dyno. Hopefully this will kinda show how much effort was put into the design of the shock. Ive learned that some of the "hip"/popular branded shocks dont always indicate serious shock design.

My question to you is what is your purpose for the coilovers?

Just to go low? Maximum handling while retaining a slightly lower profile? Do you plan to spend alot of time on the track or non at all?

I'm no shock professional, but I love to achieve my suspension goals through DIY.

Last edited by kene; 06-07-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:35 AM
howat
Pole Position

Default great response!

Thanks for dropping the knowledge, Kene. The purpose for the upgraded coilovers are for comfortable daily drivability with a finer look, lower center of gravity (better handling) with no track days. Hope that helps, thanks!

Originally Posted by kene
I would try and find shock dyno plots and visually compare the 2 different brands at the least. And even then it may not reveal everything. Sometimes from manufacturers all 4 shocks can be listed as the same valving, but do completely different things on a shock dyno. Hopefully this will kinda show how much effort was put into the design of the shock. Ive learned that some of the "hip"/popular branded shocks dont always indicate serious shock design.

My question to you is what is your purpose for the coilovers?

Just to go low? Maximum handling while retaining a slightly lower profile? Do you plan to spend alot of time spent on the of track or non at all?

I'm no shock professional, but I love to achieve my suspension goals through DIY.
Old 06-07-16, 10:58 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Cusco coilovers are you referring to? I can't find an application for a JZS147 Aristo. We need to know specifics to compare.
Old 06-07-16, 12:32 PM
howat
Pole Position

The one that's on ebay right now, for "JDM 93-97 Lexus GS300..."

It's from a JDM vendor that's in the states.

Originally Posted by Mandrake
What Cusco coilovers are you referring to? I can't find an application for a JZS147 Aristo. We need to know specifics to compare.
Old 06-07-16, 12:38 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

do you have any assurance from the vendor they are not blown already?
Old 06-07-16, 01:01 PM
howat
Pole Position

Negative. Not hard to ask.

Originally Posted by kene
do you have any assurance from the vendor they are not blown already?
Old 06-07-16, 01:05 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Those (both since I see two sets for sale) have adjustment ***** so they at least have to be Cusco Zero-2 since the Zero-1 don't have adjustments.

I tried doing a search and couldn't find any shock dyno plots for the Cusco shocks. Find them and then interpret them using this as your guide:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets20.html

Cheap shocks like the Koni yellow's (discussed on that site a lot) regularly outperform more expensive coilovers so don't take price as any kind of indicator of quality or performance.

What I can tell you is that the Cusco's have stiffer spring rates, depending on what spring rate was chosen. The application chart was showing me 14-18 kg/mm front and 9-11 kg/mm rear whereas the Megan are 10/8 kg/mm. I've personally ridden in cars that had 14 kg/mm springs that rode more comfortably than the same car with 6 kg/mm springs. It all comes down to the quality of the shock.

Please be aware Cusco shocks cannot be rebuilt as the rumor is parts don't exist although you could always try, especially with the right shop with JDM connections. I kind of doubt the Megan shocks would be any different.

All that said, the Cusco's have a reputation for quality and being a racing shock that's a cut above all the rest like Tein, HKS etc. They're definitely better than cheapo Taiwanese shocks like K-Sport and D2. I don't know much about the Megan's but they seem eerily similar to K-Sport and D2 coilovers.

Here's a sample image of the Ksport coilovers:

Notice it has the same threaded shock body which adjusts the shock height without preloading the spring. Same camber plates, same linear springs

Then the D2's are once again very similar:

So just be aware that K-Sport's are knockoff D2's and D2's are knock-off, continuation or spin-off (really unclear) of Kei Office. There's a lot of brands of coilovers that popped up that are all very similar to this. I'm not sure where Megan fits in. Some people have had success though.
Old 06-07-16, 08:04 PM
howat
Pole Position

Great set of educational remarks, sir! Only if I can find some Koni - yellows ...

Those (both since I see two sets for sale) have adjustment ***** so they at least have to be Cusco Zero-2 since the Zero-1 don't have adjustments.

I tried doing a search and couldn't find any shock dyno plots for the Cusco shocks. Find them and then interpret them using this as your guide:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets20.html

Cheap shocks like the Koni yellow's (discussed on that site a lot) regularly outperform more expensive coilovers so don't take price as any kind of indicator of quality or performance.

What I can tell you is that the Cusco's have stiffer spring rates, depending on what spring rate was chosen. The application chart was showing me 14-18 kg/mm front and 9-11 kg/mm rear whereas the Megan are 10/8 kg/mm. I've personally ridden in cars that had 14 kg/mm springs that rode more comfortably than the same car with 6 kg/mm springs. It all comes down to the quality of the shock.

Please be aware Cusco shocks cannot be rebuilt as the rumor is parts don't exist although you could always try, especially with the right shop with JDM connections. I kind of doubt the Megan shocks would be any different.

All that said, the Cusco's have a reputation for quality and being a racing shock that's a cut above all the rest like Tein, HKS etc. They're definitely better than cheapo Taiwanese shocks like K-Sport and D2. I don't know much about the Megan's but they seem eerily similar to K-Sport and D2 coilovers.

Here's a sample image of the Ksport coilovers:

Notice it has the same threaded shock body which adjusts the shock height without preloading the spring. Same camber plates, same linear springs

Then the D2's are once again very similar:

So just be aware that K-Sport's are knockoff D2's and D2's are knock-off, continuation or spin-off (really unclear) of Kei Office. There's a lot of brands of coilovers that popped up that are all very similar to this. I'm not sure where Megan fits in. Some people have had success though.
Old 06-08-16, 08:31 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

A friend of mine works for an OEM in Japan so I asked him. He said that Japanese aftermarket companies don't release specs, not even tire tread wear index specs. As you know, the horsepower ratings of Japanese cars are usually wrong too. This article goes into the history of why all Skylines were rated at 276 hp although they made engine upgrades through each generation.

The term for a Cusco shock absorber dyno plot in Japanese would be Cusco 車高調減衰特性曲線 coilovers is shako cho, 車高調, damping is gensui 減衰, and characteristic curve is tokusei kyokusen 特性曲線. If you search for that term, you'll get no results but there are plenty for Koni and Ohlins.
Old 06-11-16, 06:52 AM
howat
Pole Position

Thanks all. After some R & A, think will go with the new item route.

Again, thanks for all the great advice and thoughts from the experts.

A friend of mine works for an OEM in Japan so I asked him. He said that Japanese aftermarket companies don't release specs, not even tire tread wear index specs. As you know, the horsepower ratings of Japanese cars are usually wrong too. This article goes into the history of why all Skylines were rated at 276 hp although they made engine upgrades through each generation.

The term for a Cusco shock absorber dyno plot in Japanese would be Cusco 車高調減衰特性曲線 coilovers is shako cho, 車高調, damping is gensui 減衰, and characteristic curve is tokusei kyokusen 特性曲線. If you search for that term, you'll get no results but there are plenty for Koni and Ohlins.