GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

indulge me

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 08:47 PM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default indulge me

Hey guys. I need you to hear me out before jumping to conclusions.

I have UncleRico's (aka Ben's) old GS300. He made it into a beast with a GTE single turbo, V161 swap. I'm not going to match that beastness. I want the car to be a fun daily with some drift-ability since I'll probably take it to some of the drift events that we have out here in NM. I'm pretty much dead set on dropping in a GTE VVTI/W58 swap since I don't want anything more than 300hp, but then my supra to the toyota dealership for parts.

I'm friends with one of the sale managers there and we started talking about my cars. He helped me get my FRS which was totaled and replaced by my 93 NA/Auto Supra (current DD). We were talking about it when I brought up the GS. He started talking me into doing a 1UZ swap instead of the GTE. I've been looking around and doing some research. And besides finding this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...o-gs300-3.html

I know there's damn near no gains, horsepower wise, I know its going to be heavy, and I know its not logical. I enjoy being different. I'd be interested into RESEARCHING into the swap. The only thing I know so far is this tidbit of information form my.is,
Originally Posted by Curran
^ if I remember correctly isn't the 1uz 45bs lighter?

One thing I was always curious about, if a gs400 and gs300 should have a interchangeable crossmember/engine mounts for there chassis, does that mean a gs400 crossmember/engine mounts fit into a is300? While unlikely, it would be cool if they were.

I hope to do this swap one day, with a 3uz, and put the SRT stage 2 charger on it, hopefully by then I could get one second hand since I would never deal with SRT directly.

Good luck on your swap, and take lots of pictures and notes, to document it well here on the site, I for one am extremely interested.
On that note, I learned the 1UZ us actually lighter then the GTE which is a small plus. I was already thinking about supercharging but all that will come later. After looking at the pricing of supercharging though that would come WAY later. I'm just wondering if there's been any new info in the last few years about this swap that I haven't found.

I still plan on just doing the GTE swap and being done, but this started bothering me. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 05-29-16, 10:20 PM
djspock303
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why you would want to swap out a 1j or a uz motor into a first gen GS300. Many people drift, race, drag race the 2jz-gte and 2jz-ge motors all over the place. Biggest difference on the first gen GS300s compared to the is300 and 2nd gen gs300s is one factor - the Connecting Rods are not toothpick thin like the VVTI rods. You can make a 93 GS300 hold 600+ without cracking open anything - basically upgraded head gasket, bigger injectors, sufficient fuel pump, add charger, nos, pro charger, or turbo charge and a way to control it and you are $$$. Now the rear end and trans is another story but they would at least hold up to 300 rwhp easy. Hell even my w55 boosted held until 380 rwhp. If you end up swapping you run into crap with electronics and all kinds of other unforeseen shiz. Hope that helps, and this was just my two cents on the subject.

Personally one day im putting a th400 trans in this old gs300 and a bunch of nos and see how many people i can whoop up on the track without them knowing it, prob take forever for it to break lol.
Old 05-31-16, 12:37 AM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the GS has no engine or transmission right now. So that's why I'm looking to drop something into the car. Its the first gen so they never came with the V8 or the VVTI motor. I'm just trying to collected information about how much work would need to be done in order to get a 1uz into a 96 GS.