Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone done a 1GZ swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 12:26 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone done a 1GZ swap?

Im sure as hell not gonna try it but i havent come across much about anyone doing the century v12 swap
Old 03-05-18, 12:45 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Im sure as hell not gonna try it but i havent come across much about anyone doing the century v12 swap
There was someone on the GS forums that bought the engine and started the swap but he never finished and hasn't logged in in almost 2 years. Apparently it bolts up to the factory GS mounts so it would probably fit the SC
Old 03-05-18, 05:19 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

^ There's lots of rumors like these on the internet. Apparently there's a guy with a MKIII Supra that's 5 years into the swap and it's still not running yet.

I think there is one old Toyota with a 1GZ in it. But non-turbo. Somewhere in Socal. And there is one MKIV Supra here as well that is 1GZ swapped and twin turboed. I remember seeing vids of it going around fb a year or two ago. No dyno vids tho, just starting and idling vids
Old 03-07-18, 12:59 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Here is the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ap-gzs160.html
Old 03-07-18, 01:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

There are lots of small things that add up with this engine which is why it hasn't been done a whole lot.

For starters, it wouldn't drop into an SC chassis cause the SC needs a rear sump.
As far as I know, all the v12 century vehicles were front sump, so you would need to make a custom sump setup on the SC or go dry sump.
I remember reading that the oil pump is on the front part of the sump too so I am guessing it may need modification also for a rear or dry sump setup.

Then there is the dual ecu's which isn't that bad if you have all the factory stuff to reuse.
intake manifolds may have trouble clearing low hoods like the SC has, hard to say without trying it.

I think if you wanted to get a stock one in there it would be doable with some custom bits that adress the above plus whatever else comes into play.
If you wanted to get more power out of it, remember they are the vvti variant so I would guess they have the weak rods as well but don't know for sure.
If you were to build the bottom end I figure it would get pricey quick seeing as there is double of everything vs the JZ engine.

It would be cool to have one of those with a supercharger on it, maybe if the boost is low enough you could run it on the stock internals.
I read when top sercet did it they went through the whole engine to get it to hold the turbo power, but they were shooting for some higher hp goals.

This might be a good swap for a IFS toyota truck that could take a front sump, or a GS or IS that uses a front sump.
Old 03-07-18, 11:33 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

If Smokey Nagata did in his Supra, I don't see why it's not possible to do it in a SC.
Old 03-08-18, 09:40 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It's a glorious engine (basically two 2.5L 1JZ-GE's mated together) but very rare and expensive to swap.

Ali, when you say it's a "VVT-i variant" do you mean that the 1GZ could be using rods similar to the same ones found in the 1JZ/2JZ-GE from the factory?

I think Top Secret probably made their own custom oil pan to fit their 1GZ into a Supra MKIV's engine bay.
Old 03-08-18, 10:13 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thatfastsupra on instagram did/is doing a 1gz turbo build. He has had it running for a while, but now hes upgrading parts and doing a restoration of the whole car.

Here is one of his youtube videos about the car on his youtube channel for those who are interested.
Old 02-25-19, 09:33 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Thatfastsupra on instagram did/is doing a 1gz turbo build. He has had it running for a while, but now hes upgrading parts and doing a restoration of the whole car.

Here is one of his youtube videos about the car on his youtube channel for those who are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YmFmR3Xek
video removed. That cant be a good sign for the swap lol