GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

DIY Dynamat (GTmat) install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 09:41 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY Dynamat (GTmat) install w/pics

So, I am currently upgrading the speaker system in my GS300, and I wanted to quiet down the road noise. After some research I have chosen a product called GTMAT. I read through a few reviews and have heard nothing but good things about this product. So I set out and purchased 50 sq. ft. of the GTMAT product from amazon. The cost was ~$85.00 US, $4.00 for the heavy duty tin snips, and for the metallic meshed/fenced sheet it cost a little under $7.00 US for a 48 in. x 60 in sheet. Below you will see some snapshot pictures as I went through the install.

After I completed 2 separate layers of GTMAT on the front right and left doors, and 1 layer (second layer coming) on the rear left door. The difference in preventing the outside noise is amazing. It is almost scary. I will be honest, during the first drive it bothered me somewhat, as I could not hear the cars or city noise around me anywhere near as much. I guess I am so used to hearing my surroundings when I drive, and immediately looking to see what is the cause of the sound. Overall, this is a definite plus in my book. This stuff works.

As you will see below I approached the dual layer of GTMAT a little different than most. I placed the first layer on the inside of the exterior door/body panels. Literally inside the door cavity. Please see below.

If you have questions please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps.

Amazon.com web account that I purchased it from.

GTMAT that I purchased for ~$85 USD. It came as 2 long rolls of 25 square feet per roll.

Here is the package that came. The silver roll you see is what is left after doing the 2 front doors. One roll (25 sq. ft) is enough to install two complete layers of GTMAT on the 2 front doors, and 1 of the rear doors in total. In my opinion 50sq ft can cover all 4 doors with dual layers, and also cover the complete floor (or complete trunk space instead) of the vehicle as well

Before installing the GTMAT.

THE PROCEDURE

1) To do this I first removed my door speaker enclosure, put some dish soap and water in a bucket, and used a rag to thoroughly wipe away all of the dust and dirt from the door's inside panel.

2) After letting the area dry for 15 minutes, I then cut a portion of the GTMAT roll into 3 to 4 -10in segments. These 3 to 4 segments(placed height-wise) will only cover the top half of one front door. You will need another 2- 10in segments (placed lengthwise) for the bottom half of the front door. Also keep in mind, I did not remove any part of the window motor/regulator. These parts remained untouched for the front door GTMAT install.

3) Installing a 10in segment at a time, I peeled a small corner of the GTMAT sticky sheeting back, shifted/moved the sheet into the door cavity, and reached around the window motor to place the sheet upright against the inside of the doors body panel. Once I had lined it up to my comfort, I stuck the corner on the inside panel, and I then pulled the rest of the sticky back sheet off with one hand. This was done inside of the door cavity as well. I did this for the top half segment and the bottom half segment of the door. My wheel roller broke, so I used the back of my knuckles to push the GTMAT's sticky side hard against the metal door.

After Installing the GTMAT 1st layer (peek inside of door opening), and beginning the prep work of the GTMAT 2nd layer screen.

2nd layer of GTMAT: Metallic screen cut out GTMAT will be stuck to.

4) For the second layer of GTMAT, I opted for cutting out a segment of metallic mesh sheeting (BE CAREFUL!! METALLIC SHEETING IS EXTREMELY SHARP AFTER BEING CUT! I sliced both hands pretty bad twice, when prepping the first screen) to fit the behind the leather interior door panel. I then split this metal segment down the center to create 2 halves. I then cut out holes where the factory screws/bolts were by using heavy duty tin snips. This was so I would still have access to those parts of the door that can be removed, just in case something breaks

Metallic screen split into 2 halves with holes cutout for screws.

metallic screen split with ruler as reference.

Start of GTMAT install on backside of mesh.

5) After I measured on the door, cut out the template from the screen, and then split the metallic screen template into 2 halves, I then took the 2-peice template into the house, and applied the 2nd layer of GTMAT to the backside of the screen (THE STICKY SIDE OF THE 2ND LAYER OF GTMAT WILL ALWAYS BE FACING THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR WHEN THE DOORS ARE CLOSED). I applied it this way so that the super-sharp metallic screen would not scratch or cut the metal door or the electrical wires that run on the interior door (window switch wires, etc.). Please see the pics for clarification.

GTMAT install on backside of mesh.
Make sure to peel GTMAT over sharp edges of metal screen. I used the wood board in the picture to place over the GTMAT'd screen, and then stepped/jumped on the wood board. This was to make sure that the GTMAT was fully pressed into the screen mesh.

2nd Layer: 1st half installed.
6) I then used self-tapping lathe screws to secure the GTMAT'd metallic screen to the door. I first placed a screw onto the GTMAT'd metal screen, and then used my small hand held torque drill to start the hole into the door. Once the hole was started, I then turned to using a simple Phillips screwdriver. I did it this way to ensure that the torque drill did not strip the door's sheet metal. Otherwise I would end up with a bunch of useless screw holes in the door.

heavy duty snips and self taping lathe screws.

lathe screws part no 295 543 at home depot.

actual lathe screw.

Project Complete: 1st and 2nd layer installed w/ speaker mounted.

The benefit of creating the 2nd GTMAT layer this way is to give you a removability option. This way if your window motor or regulator goes bad, you can easily get access to it. Versus, having to sit there with a heat gun and peel back a large sticky mess of molten rubber just to get access to your window motor.

All I have left to do is the rear right door (2 layers), and finish the rear left door (add 1 more layer) with what is left of the 1st roll. I haven't even touched the 2nd roll yet.

I hope this helps those that are curious.

Last edited by kene; 08-25-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 08:54 AM
bloodyKnuc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 08-23-15, 01:25 PM
kene
Lead Lap

I found these items after I fully unrolled the 1st roll. They were located in the center of the roll. The kit comes with a wheel roller, and orange clean powder packet, and the instruction pamphlet.

Wheel roller, orange clean mix powder, and instruction pamphlet.
Old 08-25-15, 02:00 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice job on that. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 08-25-15, 07:14 PM
kene
Lead Lap

No problem, just glad to help.
Old 03-31-16, 05:43 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome!! I was just thinking about adding some sound deadening. How has it held up since the install? The idea for the 2nd layer with the wire mesh is GREAT!!! Did you notice any weird smells or any other drawbacks? Do you have any plans to cover the rear package tray (were the sub woofer is located)? Thanks for the write up!!!
Old 04-01-16, 12:41 AM
kene
Lead Lap

It is holding up perfectly. There are no funny smells or odors at all. The stuff makes a big reduction in the road noise I used to hear. Keep in mind I dont have aftermarket mufflers, but there may be an exhaust leak and it still does a darn good job at sound deadening. I still have the rear left door to add the last layer on.
Old 04-04-16, 02:37 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see how that was a bit different than normal. Why didn't you just apply it to the door card itself?
Old 04-07-16, 03:29 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mandrake
I see how that was a bit different than normal. Why didn't you just apply it to the door card itself?

I was afraid the GTmats thickness would prevent the interior door panel clips from properly securing the door panel to the door.
And when i get around to reupholstering the door panels, i may have to tear the GTmat off the back of the door panel and then reapply some fresh GTmat later. I dont want to have to do this.

I also think that 2 layers of GTmat with a void in rhe middle makes a bigger difference than just 2 layers added to the inside door's sheet metal. Keep in mind I have not proven this at all, and i could be wrong.

Last edited by kene; 04-07-16 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 12:12 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That makes sense, kind of like layering clothing.
Old 02-08-17, 09:40 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its time for me to over haul my sound system so I am looking into sound deadening just wonder how its hold up after almost 2 years. Any problems with it peeling off or any down sides?
Old 02-12-17, 03:50 PM
kene
Lead Lap

I dont drive thecar as mich as before, but yes this stuff is still holding up very well. Especially considwring I dos not use a heat gun to make it really stick ( because I wanted easy removability).

if and when I get around to removing my seats I hope to do the same with the floor and trunk of the car.