PURCHASING 94' GS only 130k!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 08:20 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thanks Colorado!

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
Yeah, sorry, do be aware of your local laws regarding studs and chains. I live in colorado, studs O.K. 24/7/365 (although they are no fun in the summer!). Car looks beautiful!! Gen 1s so nice in darker colors (mine is silver, kinda boring) I'd be hard pressed to pass that up. I think there is another thread about EGR code 71, wish I could help more there...

Do it, and be happy!
Yes. I checked that thread and know what I'm getting myself into. I've decided to just DIY the car unless it's something I really can't do. I'm tired of paying dealers and other companies for cheap maintenance things I can do myself (Oil changes, brakes etc.)

Besides, I rather spend the money on the TOOLS needed and have the tools to work on the car, and others, in the future. Guess I'm getting old *cough* responsible.

I'm going to have to sell one of my favorite firearms for the transaction, but it'll be worth it in the end.

And yes, this will unquestionably make me happy.
Old 01-11-13, 08:23 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by VSRgs300
forget traction control, buy 4 studded snows, i drive mine in NH snow all the time, it's not that bad...especially in a 4,000LB car.

and lambo doors? no. it's not 2001 anymore. that crap died with underglow and vinyl door graphics bro.
Wow NH snow! I think the whole (can't drive in RWD in snow) might be underrated. I just think people are spoiled and want to do 55 in snow in their SUV. Which isn't smart. I rather drive my beauty in snow- slow- and be safe.

Summer= sunroof. Can't beat it.
Old 01-11-13, 09:47 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IamSir
Wow NH snow! I think the whole (can't drive in RWD in snow) might be underrated. I just think people are spoiled and want to do 55 in snow in their SUV. Which isn't smart. I rather drive my beauty in snow- slow- and be safe.

Summer= sunroof. Can't beat it.
okay okay, i get it. New Hampshire does get cold, you know haha

We may not get nearly as much snow as you, but we did get 8" this year! haha
Old 01-11-13, 10:57 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Talking I love you guys

okay okay, i get it. New Hampshire does get cold, you know haha

We may not get nearly as much snow as you, but we did get 8" this year! haha
HAHA. I'm sure you get snow up there. In fact, we haven't gotten more than 14 inches in one night. (that was from storm DRACO so I don't really count it). Everything else has been flurries. WEIRD. And great for this GS.

UPDATE to everyone. I'm scheduled to get the car 12pm tommorrow. What sold it for me was THIS FORUM! I wanted to thank you all. Probably make a new thread once I get it to thank everyone. THis forum showed me one VERY important thing. These cars are FIXABLE.

So the "expensive to maintain" isn't accurate. It's expensive to put in a shop. But if YOU take care of your vehicle, then it will last you forever, rather inexpensively.

I look at it like this-
00' Mustang- sold it- 120k trans bad.
90 something BMW 500 series- sold it- trans bad, engine jacking up etc.
90 Olds Delta 88' - GREAT engine- rusted in one summer. New exhaust, Needs new everything in the inside, and new Control arm snapped , yes snapped, last week.

This Lexus- may have a few issues, but it seems minimal and the parts are rather inexpensive or slightly more than most other cars out there today.

SO i'll put some TLC into the Lex- and the Olds... and let them make love in my garage.

Almost makes me want to become a mechanic!
Old 01-11-13, 10:59 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Code 71 is frequently caused by a faulty vacuum modulator. The part is around $65 iirc. That car looks super clean. I am not sure what percentage of 1GS have traction control. Mine doesn't, but mine also has no sunroof and is pretty optioned down. Edit: saw that you are picking up the car tomorrow. Congrats!

As far as maintenance, my most expensive year was 2009 when the head gasket came to grief. I did it right and had the head hot tanked and decked, then put in new valve seals. The total cost was $1800, but I also did the timing belt, water pump, and plug wires. Average annual maintenance costs for me are less than $500 and the car is almost 19 and has 212,840on the clock.

Last edited by link13; 01-11-13 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 11:24 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Talking Thank you!

Originally Posted by link13
Code 71 is frequently caused by a faulty vacuum modulator. The part is around $65 iirc. That car looks super clean. I am not sure what percentage of 1GS have traction control. Mine doesn't, but mine also has no sunroof and is pretty optioned down. Edit: saw that you are picking up the car tomorrow. Congrats!

As far as maintenance, my most expensive year was 2009 when the head gasket came to grief. I did it right and had the head hot tanked and decked, then put in new valve seals. The total cost was $1800, but I also did the timing belt, water pump, and plug wires. Average annual maintenance costs for me are less than $500 and the car is almost 19 and has 212,840on the clock.
AWESOME. I knew this was one of the best cars ever produced and you assure me. THANK YOU.

It just seems like a great buy for driving to Detroit from Upper Michigan (7hrs). The mileage on this car is so low, and it has every option EVEN THE CAR PHONE! HAHAHA. I just think that alone is worth having. It's freeking vintage. I fell in love with this car 15 years ago. To buy it, I have to make a HUGE sacrifice though. I'm selling whichever of my prized possessions go first. Studio- with speakers, mpk49 keyboard etc. or a Smith and Wesson SD40ve brand new. That'll take care of Title,tax, tags. Etc.

***Sings i'm in love with my car*** Queen
Old 01-11-13, 11:26 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by link13

Quick question. Is that the name of the part? Vacuum modulator? Can't find it. PVC maybe?
Old 01-11-13, 11:36 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IamSir
Quick question. Is that the name of the part? Vacuum modulator? Can't find it. PVC maybe?

that's kinda sorta what it looks like. all the way on the left. the black thing.
Old 01-11-13, 12:22 PM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Wink Love this place

that's kinda sorta what it looks like. all the way on the left. the black thing.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH lol Thanks.

I love this place.
Old 01-11-13, 01:59 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

It looks like the part name is EGR Valve Vacuum Switch.
Old 01-13-13, 07:17 PM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Red face YES! #win

Just wanted to update the thread that I did purchase the Lex. Drove well back 4hrs to Michigan. Turns out the car DOES have traction control, and due to the maintenance issues I was able to haggle the price down! SWEET DEAL.

Now time to fix stuff. EGR first.
Old 01-14-13, 10:01 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
Yeah, sorry, do be aware of your local laws regarding studs and chains. I live in colorado, studs O.K. 24/7/365 (although they are no fun in the summer!). Car looks beautiful!! Gen 1s so nice in darker colors (mine is silver, kinda boring) I'd be hard pressed to pass that up. I think there is another thread about EGR code 71, wish I could help more there...

Do it, and be happy!
Silver is a beautiful color. There is another member with a silver GS. That thing is sexy.
Sorry for the thread jack
Old 02-18-13, 10:13 AM
Lextra
Rookie

NO LAMBO DOORS.....your car looks good btw
Old 02-18-13, 10:44 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

grats on the new lexus!!!
Old 02-18-13, 10:47 AM
AntmanGT
Driver School Candidate

Looks clean. Nice find!

Quick Reply: PURCHASING 94' GS only 130k!!!!