Advice? I got a 27156(b) citation in CA/SGV

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 12:38 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Advice? I got a 27156(b) citation in CA/SGV

Wsup guys? I need questions answered..

I got a citation for 27156(b), being a gross polluter.

On the back of the ticket, they put a sticker that says

"STATE REFEREE CERTIFICATION REQURED- NO OFFICER SIGN-OFF
(section 43012 california health&safety code.)
Vehicle must be removed from the roadway immediately and may not be driven until in compliance"

My car is GTE swapped with a HKS t04z, straight piped.

Whats the fine I'm looking at when I get the ticket in the mail? (Is there a fine for this?

Can I just "sell" my car to a friend, and will this ticket be cleared? and just leave me with a fine, instead of having to put it back to stock?
Old 02-15-09, 12:57 AM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the tickets will be recorded to your tag
Old 02-15-09, 01:00 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

you need to take your car to a state referee who will check it out, and lol basically say its not legal to drive on the street. so you wont get registration and yea cant drive without registration. well not legally anyway.
Old 02-15-09, 04:59 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

any easy way out of it?

the reason why I was asking if it would be cleared is because I had a 2000 Celica GT-S, and before I sold it (to my friend), I got a exhaust and window tint ticket and that ticket didn't go onto the car when I sold it to my friend.
Old 02-15-09, 11:47 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

dang dogg...that's whack man! and you just got your ride back, and now this S#$@%#$!!! i hope this works out for you, and if you sell it, can i be the friend who buys it?? LOL, jk
Old 02-15-09, 01:59 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

I was told by another member from another forum (club4ag) said that the first offense for a state ref ticket is about $400. He said "Last time i checked you can just pay the fine and dont have to take it to the ref. just wait until the blue form arrives, and pay the amount. "

another person said..

"Go see a traffic attorney in your area, they can get you off on lesser charge without the hassle of reffing the vehicle and you wont even have to appear in court.
But you still will have to pay fines which are still way cheaper than an swapping engines and going back to stock."

i hope those two options work.. =(
Old 02-15-09, 05:04 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

ill try giving them a call this week.

NOTE: my gf was drivin the car when it happened, is there any way she can fight it at court or something, because I already had an exhaust and tint ticket, and she showed the cop my previous ticket, and the cop didn't care and asked her to pop the hood. She didn't know any better and she did. The cop has no right to search the car, right? She could have said NO and it would have just been impounded, right?

They pulled her over for my exhaust, they can't search the hood, right? Thats from what I heard.

Impound fees would have been less IMO, because when someone else gets the car impounded thats under someone else's name, the registered owner can get the car released ASAP, from my experience.

Any other info?
Old 02-15-09, 07:51 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come join us in Seattle. I need another 1GS to talk to at meets and cops wont sweat you up here But man that sucks, stuff like this is one of the biggest reasons I decided not to move to Cali when I was thinking about it. Best of luck.
Old 02-15-09, 08:17 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by boosted86
NOTE: my gf was drivin the car when it happened, is there any way she can fight it at court or something, because I already had an exhaust and tint ticket, and she showed the cop my previous ticket, and the cop didn't care and asked her to pop the hood. She didn't know any better and she did. The cop has no right to search the car, right?
Wrong. The cop pulled her over for excessive noise, meaning he has the responsibility to see what is causing the noise. Through the inspection, it was determined that you were, in fact, in violation of the pollution law. Now he has to fill out a bunch of paperwork based on what the inspection revealed.

She could have said NO and it would have just been impounded, right?
Partially wrong. If she says no, then yes the car would be impounded. It would then get inspected at the impound lot and you would be required to not only pay the fines, the fees, and the other costs, but they would not release the vehicle to you to drive. It would need to be towed to a location that can repair it to the proper pollution controls, since your registration is then revoked.

They pulled her over for my exhaust, they can't search the hood, right? Thats from what I heard.
You heard wrong. They have a responsibility to see what is making the noise. It's not exactly difficult to hang two fake mufflers/tips under the rear end and run a straight pipe under the hood.

Impound fees would have been less IMO, because when someone else gets the car impounded thats under someone else's name, the registered owner can get the car released ASAP, from my experience.

Any other info?
It depends on what it gets impounded for though, man. In your case, you're probably not going to be able to have an attorney help you with a lesser charge, either. The reports they have to file in order to write that ticket are very specific, so it's not going to be able to get shifted to something else (like excessive noise). If it's not legal to be driving and you're polluting like crazy, it really shouldn't be on the road.

Big Mack

PS: I'm not judging here, I'm going impartial in this one and keeping my thoughts to myself.
Old 02-15-09, 08:29 PM
ptownTSI
Driver School Candidate

The only way you could get out of that was if the turbo Aristo was sold in the US, and you could convince them that you put a motor from that in yours.

the only way you can get out of this is to take off the turbo, and put a cat on. Its like $85 at the Referee Station if they don't fine you, that is the fee for inspection.
Old 02-15-09, 08:41 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

I got sighted for the same thing, Police are allowed to Search your car including your hood legally ((they can search ur house without ur consent if they say it was probable cause), You dont have to get it fixed but youll pay around 400-500 bucks. You can swap the motor I guess and pay 10 bucks at the clerk. If your exhuast is catless its illegal, but if it has a cat you dont have to swap to stock, because your not being tested for sound at the state ref, your a gross polluter your being tested for Your emissions. IMO Make your engine bay look stock , like a stock 2jzgte, no HKS BOV. They do an emissions test and a visual. The Visual test is bull, they just check for any aftermarket parts (I didnt even use stock parts on my intake, I just painted them flat black so it looked stock). The emissions test is where the attach a hose to your exhaust etc... But you should be okay if you have a cat.
Old 02-15-09, 08:42 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

damn...so anyone that has done the swap can basically get put in this situation?? shiz man, i love my GS, but it's not worth this much hassle.
Old 02-15-09, 09:32 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

i'll trade you my aristo for your GS straight across. since it appears stock to the untrained eye

but in all honesty, once you get this sorted out, think about getting a muffler on there for pollution concerns, and then look at a companny called quicktime performance, and thier electronic exhaust cutouts.

that's how mine is, runs through stock exhaust, untill i push a button, then the exhaust exits 18" from the turbo with no muffler, no cat, via a 3" pipe.

that would be great for your situation. you could bomb around on low boost with the exhaust cutout closed going through the mufflers, then when you want, you could hit hi boost setting on a boost controller, and push a button to fully open the cutout (aka open the downpipe)
Old 02-15-09, 09:44 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Swap all the stock US GTE stuff from a Supra and get it BAR'ed.
Old 02-15-09, 10:15 PM
ptownTSI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Swap all the stock US GTE stuff from a Supra and get it BAR'ed.
ha that slipped my mind, that will do it.

Quick Reply: Advice? I got a 27156(b) citation in CA/SGV