Advice? I got a 27156(b) citation in CA/SGV

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 01:26 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks everyone!

damn.. looks like i'm f~cked..

soo... say that I put the stock twins back on my car, stock GTE stuff, where do I go to get it BAR'd?
Old 02-16-09, 01:33 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosted86
thanks everyone!

damn.. looks like i'm f~cked..

soo... say that I put the stock twins back on my car, stock GTE stuff, where do I go to get it BAR'd?
Same place you would get it state refereed.

You better find out if it will work for sure though first. You need the US stock downpipe, cats, all that crap...AND it has to be CA legal emissions too.
Old 02-16-09, 07:55 AM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn bro i feel for you, this really sucks iam just glad i don't live in cali what a pain in the *** it must be with cops over their.
Old 02-16-09, 10:55 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The cops can ask and you can deny the search. If she consented, you have no case as far as challenging the legality of the search under the hood.
Old 02-16-09, 02:05 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Well, I hope you have the stock parts, Atleast you dont have to swap the whole engine, You should be okay with all the stock parts, and a cat, which shouldnt be that difficult to install. Also the State referee is usually at a Community college in cali, (Mine was at Chaffey college) usually these guys arent negative, they want you to pass. If you need more time to get all this stuff done, You can go online and request a 3 month extension (You can do this for every type of case besides a criminal one).
Old 02-16-09, 05:20 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
The cops can ask and you can deny the search. If she consented, you have no case as far as challenging the legality of the search under the hood.
Serious? She consented to a search to a vehicle that is not even under her name, does that make a difference?

Originally Posted by vindedreal
Well, I hope you have the stock parts, Atleast you dont have to swap the whole engine, You should be okay with all the stock parts, and a cat, which shouldnt be that difficult to install. Also the State referee is usually at a Community college in cali, (Mine was at Chaffey college) usually these guys arent negative, they want you to pass. If you need more time to get all this stuff done, You can go online and request a 3 month extension (You can do this for every type of case besides a criminal one).
*****.. I don't have the stock stufff, but I'll find them. I might check out that ref at chaffey college, its not too far from me. I'll just have to wait for the citation in the mail.
thanks for the info guys! more info is welcome!
Old 02-16-09, 05:41 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Boosted, I believe an under the hood search is like any other vehicle search, meaning they either need consent or a warrant. Cops are usually pretty angry when people deny search and people usually fold, but don't have to.

If she was driving the car, it doesn't matter that it doesn't belong to her. Don't be pissed at her, though. Most people don't know they can deny a request to search.
Old 02-16-09, 07:59 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Actually Link in the end i dont think she would have had a choice. LEO's and CHP no longer need warrants or consent to search anything. If they say they had probable cause because his exhaust might have meant he had illegal modifications, the court would accept it. It's like if they hear a women screaming in her house, they dont need a warrant or consent to kick down the door and rush in, they have probable cause.
Old 02-16-09, 09:19 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vindedreal
Actually Link in the end i dont think she would have had a choice. LEO's and CHP no longer need warrants or consent to search anything. If they say they had probable cause because his exhaust might have meant he had illegal modifications, the court would accept it. It's like if they hear a women screaming in her house, they dont need a warrant or consent to kick down the door and rush in, they have probable cause.
It's dicey. I have a buddy who's a public defender. I'll ask him for his take on it, but he has told me in the past that consent or a warrant is required. It is pretty rare that people refuse a search and the police sometimes suggest that you don't have a choice. I'll check with him and post what I find out.
Old 02-16-09, 09:39 PM
SNFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Register it in another state, get plates there, license, etc. haha. in Atlanta they are very strict but not 100 miles out.. so i just registered everything out there. no emissions, period.
Old 02-17-09, 12:43 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

It's dicey. I have a buddy who's a public defender. I'll ask him for his take on it, but he has told me in the past that consent or a warrant is required. It is pretty rare that people refuse a search and the police sometimes suggest that you don't have a choice. I'll check with him and post what I find out.

thanks link! please do let me know on what your friend says..
Old 02-17-09, 02:20 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Hi Boosted, I got an answer from the public defender friend. He said a police officer can always ask to search and you can always refuse to allow it. It does not matter that this was the engine compartment. It's still a search. Since the search was allowed, you probably don't have a case. He said they have had success in cases by arguing that a police officer asking to search was coersion, so the search was not voluntarily allowed. This probably does not apply to you because your ticket is not a criminal matter. His advice if you get pulled over and a search is requested is to say, "unless you are detaining me, I would like to be on my way."

Is your car NA-T or a 2JZ-GTE swap? If it's the GTE swap, I wonder if you can argue that it's a legal swap because the engine was imported in twin turbo Supras. I don't know on that one, but it's an idea.
Old 02-17-09, 02:25 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Hi Boosted, I got an answer from the public defender friend. He said a police officer can always ask to search and you can always refuse to allow it. It does not matter that this was the engine compartment. It's still a search. Since the search was allowed, you probably don't have a case. He said they have had success in cases by arguing that a police officer asking to search was coersion, so the search was not voluntarily allowed. This probably does not apply to you because your ticket is not a criminal matter. His advice if you get pulled over and a search is requested is to say, "unless you are detaining me, I would like to be on my way."

Is your car NA-T or a 2JZ-GTE swap? If it's the GTE swap, I wonder if you can argue that it's a legal swap because the engine was imported in twin turbo Supras. I don't know on that one, but it's an idea.
Even though she allowed the search, the vehicles not hers. Will that count for anything? Wouldn't it be like me standing outside your house, giving the police permission to search YOUR house.. will me giving the police to search YOUR house make it a valid permission? So when my gf goes to court for this, there is no way of fighthing this?

The car is not NA-T, but 2JZGTE swap.