EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Consumer Reports Real World EV Range - 22 EVs Tested

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 08:46 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Ok now I have more info. That may have been because of availability of charging, road conditions etc, nothing to do with range. If I were to ignore the mapping, I could get much further, but than I could run into other issues, like having to hit an extremely busy Tesla supercharger stop. The chargers near and in SoCal are much busier
He did charge longer at one stop so he could skip a charging stop in a sketchy area.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's ok bro, he's got some legit concerns, it's our job to alleviate them
Thanks. I know 3 people with EVs. I didn’t know there were forums outside Lexus models until recently. I’ve learned more from this forum about EVs than from my friends with their EVs. As a PHEV owner, I’m interested.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 08:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
He did charge longer at one stop so he could skip a charging stop in a sketchy area.

Thanks. I know 3 people with EVs. I didn’t know there were forums outside Lexus models until recently. I’ve learned more from this forum about EVs than from my friends with their EVs. As a PHEV owner, I’m interested.
There you go! Normally you do quick charging to get you quicker to your destination. If you do a longer charging session, the charging curve begins to go down rapidly to protect your battery.

And you are welcome!
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (12-05-23)
Old 12-06-23, 08:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so for a 1395 mi. trip he had to stop EIGHT TIMES? seems like a lot, but then people with gas cars often stop every 100 mi. or so to stretch, bio break, snack, etc., but usually those stops can be 5 minutes, not half an hour or whatever.

i really have NO interest in a really long distance trip in an ev.
depends on many factors, but even in best of EVs, you would stop 4-5 times for that 1400 mile trip.

But 1400 miles is such a long, long trip. Thats 20-24 hour trip without stops, depending on congestion. I find that i would likely stop between 3h and 4h of driving in any case, even if I dont have to charge.
For me, issue there is availability of high speed chargers on the route, as long as you have that, your experience is fine. If you have to drive off route or chargers are slower, you do not want to do that.

Bigger problem are trips that you could possibly just reach with gas car but you need to charge. I went on 420 mile trip with my bro in my Model 3 P, and I drive like 100 mph on highway, so I had to stop 3 times total due to elevation, chargers being off highway and wanting to come with 40% at destination. It was annoying as hell because me and him would possibly not even stop anywhere if we were in a rush, and now we needed like 60m more.

Now with Model S, better efficiency, better chargers, smarter and more experienced human behind the wheel, i need 25m extra charge where with gas i would possibly now stop anyway to get some water for 10m.

I have best friends who drive like 600 miles in a go and yeah, doing that in any EV, without really good charging on route, is going to be annoying as hell.

The following 2 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (12-06-23), BayeauxLex (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23, 12:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
depends on many factors, but even in best of EVs, you would stop 4-5 times for that 1400 mile trip.

But 1400 miles is such a long, long trip. Thats 20-24 hour trip without stops, depending on congestion. I find that i would likely stop between 3h and 4h of driving in any case, even if I dont have to charge.
For me, issue there is availability of high speed chargers on the route, as long as you have that, your experience is fine. If you have to drive off route or chargers are slower, you do not want to do that.

Bigger problem are trips that you could possibly just reach with gas car but you need to charge. I went on 420 mile trip with my bro in my Model 3 P, and I drive like 100 mph on highway, so I had to stop 3 times total due to elevation, chargers being off highway and wanting to come with 40% at destination. It was annoying as hell because me and him would possibly not even stop anywhere if we were in a rush, and now we needed like 60m more.

Now with Model S, better efficiency, better chargers, smarter and more experienced human behind the wheel, i need 25m extra charge where with gas i would possibly now stop anyway to get some water for 10m.

I have best friends who drive like 600 miles in a go and yeah, doing that in any EV, without really good charging on route, is going to be annoying as hell.
That was his roundtrip. Google maps said it was a 10hr 20 min drive one way. I believe it took him over 12hrs.
Old 12-06-23, 12:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 683 Likes on 466 Posts

More power to those who are willing to do those drives After driving across the US in my 20s, the furthest I'll drive now is to Boston which is only 300 miles away from me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (12-06-23), BayeauxLex (12-06-23)