EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 07:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to Tesla sales after other manufacturers starting producing with the NACS plug.

On a side note, side view camera went into confetti mode when pulling into a parking spot yesterday. Hard reset fixed it, but my first thought was 'crap I really don't want to drive to Brooklyn to fix this'

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23, 01:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to Tesla sales after other manufacturers starting producing with the NACS plug.

On a side note, side view camera went into confetti mode when pulling into a parking spot yesterday. Hard reset fixed it, but my first thought was 'crap I really don't want to drive to Brooklyn to fix this'

My prediction is, Tesla will continue to dominate for a long time. Even when automakers have actual NACS and can freely use Tesla superchargers. The reason, Tesla still is way ahead of the game, can crank them out in large volume, and can sell them cheaper than everyone else. Most automakers are losing large amounts of money on each EV sold, VW, GM and Ford all have announced pauses in new factories. Although the Ioniq 5 and 6 are pretty popular, Hyundai can only move them through crazy leasing deals. If I were to have bought our Ioniq 5, it would be $53K....that's just insane!

I've looked at several legacy automakers EV offerings like the i4, and although it does a lot of things better than Tesla in the comfort and optional accessories area, they are basically ICE platforms converted to EV's, and all the compromises are glaringly apparent. Especially when you look underneath the car and see all the wasted space. And than companies that have built EV's from the ground up like Lucid, Polestar and Rivian don't have enough service centers. Polestar uses Volvo dealerships (3 in California), but the dealerships don't always cooperate, and many Polestar customers have had bad experiences, as each service center does it's own thing, so there is no consistency.

Yeah, my take is automakers from legacy on to EV startup's have a long way to catch up with Tesla, and some are not going to survive in my opinion
Old 10-09-23, 05:17 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

We hauled some pumpkins in the Model Y today

The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AMIRZA786 (10-09-23), bowser (10-09-23), Mike728 (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23, 05:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
We hauled some pumpkins in the Model Y today
That's a lot of pumpkins! We stopped observing Halloween after the kids grew out of it.

My Sienna could fit about 5x the pumpkins that the Y fits, which is why I'm holding on to it for the foreseeable future

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-09-23 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 08:00 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I saw a new black MS Plaid at my son's school this morning. I think it looks really nice.

Is this the pre-vision view? Much better IMO. I always want be able to see in front of the car.
Old 10-10-23, 08:22 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ nice. thanks to your leadership i followed and got one too.

still learning but i have the head start in that controls/settings are very similar to the hyundai santa fe i traded in.

you mentioned drive modes... does eco actually improve efficiency or just make it go slower?
wow so much changes since last time I check EV forums. Some cars ECO is for sure slower and AC is also weaker too. I guess as people say no free energy.
Old 10-10-23, 08:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I saw a new black MS Plaid at my son's school this morning. I think it looks really nice.

Is this the pre-vision view? Much better IMO. I always want be able to see in front of the car.
This is a Rivian R1S. All cameras and sensors for the 360 and front/rear view
Old 10-10-23, 12:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,195 Likes on 1,426 Posts

do you have a screen protector on your screen?
Old 10-10-23, 01:14 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Yup, it saved my screen in the Tesla before so I popped one on the Rivian too.
Old 10-10-23, 01:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,195 Likes on 1,426 Posts

interesting, how did it save the tesla screen? i didn't figure it would suffer damage?
Old 10-10-23, 02:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Transporting long stuff and a sudden stop due to a dbag driver Cracked the screen protector and there's a decent chance the screen could've survived the impact, but sometimes better safe than sorry
bitkahuna (10-10-23)
Old 10-15-23, 09:22 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

What do you all think about cargo covers? This is the one that came with the EQS. This is my first daily driver that is both an SUV and came with a cargo cover so I'm not sure that I appreciate the usefulness of it yet but I installed it and will try it out

AMIRZA786 (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 10:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Here in the Bay Area, cargo covers are important because of the number of car break-in's that we have here. If you have stuff in the back that can be seen (especially backpacks), you can be sure someone is going to smash your window to grab it. It's pretty sad because there is no punishment if they get caught. When I was in the Middle East in January (Iraq), shopkeepers keep the stuff they are selling all spread out and unguarded in sprawling markets, and not even the smallest trinket gets stolen. You could walk on the streets with a pocket full of money and a Rolex anytime of the day or night, and nobody will touch you. The police would be the least of their concerns as the local population would make him/her/them regret it for probably the rest of their lives. OK, rant over.

Looks really nice @signdetres
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (10-15-23), signdetres (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 01:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,742 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Hiding or not hiding valuables doesn't make any difference thieves go car by car smashing windows. In fact it is better to leave storage areas visible. Who knew not enforcing crime means people commit more crime.
Old 10-15-23, 02:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Hiding or not hiding valuables doesn't make any difference thieves go car by car smashing windows. In fact it is better to leave storage areas visible. Who knew not enforcing crime means people commit more crime.
I never leave anything in my car when I go to public places, but there are times when I have to stick something in the trunk area when I'm parked at a public area. The only people I know who have had their windows smashed are those that left something in plain view. They want to smash, grap and get out there as fast as they can and if they don't see anything, they move on. That's been my experience (I've never had a car window smashed in since HS)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation