EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

What is an EV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 01:39 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
If you pay Lexus $150 to change your oil, then sure. Ater 106k miles on my 3IS, I've only spent money on the usual $30 oil change kits from Autozone, $5 bottles of brake fluid and a couple $25 of SLL coolant from Toyota.

Assuming 10k mile oil change intervals per the manual, that's about $300 on oil, lets call it $50 on brake fluid because I'm pretty generous with my flushes, and $100 on coolant to flush and a little extra for reserves. Oh, and also one set of spark plugs.

So, $500 for 106k miles, which is about 9 years of owernship for most assuming 12k miles/year. Probably the verdict is still out on long term ownership of what is an EV. Not because nobody has ever driven one hard for 10 years, but because the sample size is a very small fraction of its counterpart.
Don't talk sense to all these EV owners. They constantly try to say how no maintenance on their cars make their purchase superior to ours. All cars need suspension replacement, brakes, and tires, EV's included. EV owners make you believe that $60 on oil changes per year is "so much on maintenance."

I agree strongly about the last part. It's way too early in the EV era to definitively say that these are lower cost to maintain than a 2002 Camry all the way to 300-400k miles. I used 2002 because that was the first year of the timing chain. Lol still very reliable cars. The batteries on these EV's that go out before 300k miles will cost a ton to replace, meanwhile the engines on Camry's, Accord's, etc can rack up the mileage way above 300k.
Old 06-19-23, 01:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Don't talk sense to all these EV owners. They constantly try to say how no maintenance on their cars make their purchase superior to ours. All cars need suspension replacement, brakes, and tires, EV's included. EV owners make you believe that $60 on oil changes per year is "so much on maintenance."

I agree strongly about the last part. It's way too early in the EV era to definitively say that these are lower cost to maintain than a 2002 Camry all the way to 300-400k miles. I used 2002 because that was the first year of the timing chain. Lol still very reliable cars. The batteries on these EV's that go out before 300k miles will cost a ton to replace, meanwhile the engines on Camry's, Accord's, etc can rack up the mileage way above 300k.

Some things I agree with and some things I don't, and that's ok.

Maybe you can make a *** NEW THREAD *** about EV vs ICE if that's what you like to talk about. Cool deal bro.

< PS- Just fyi for anyone following along, come in here and throw rocks at other people and get yourself instantly reported to the mods >

Last edited by Margate330; 06-19-23 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 02:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I'm moving this thread to the new EV chat forum and advise some of the folks posting in it to STOP now and read the sticky rules at the top. As the saying goes "you may be first against the wall"...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-...n-ev-chat.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-19-23 at 02:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
AMIRZA786 (06-19-23), bowser (06-20-23)
Old 06-19-23, 02:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'm moving this thread to the new EV chat forum and advise some of the folks posting in it to STOP now and read the sticky rules at the top. As the saying goes "you may be first against the wall"...
Thanks Dave. Don't forget my Polestar and Model Y threads
Old 06-19-23, 02:44 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Some things I agree with and some things I don't, and that's ok.

Maybe you can make a *** NEW THREAD *** about EV vs ICE if that's what you like to talk about. Cool deal bro.

< PS- Just fyi for anyone following along, come in here and throw rocks at other people and get yourself instantly reported to the mods, and I don't care who you are. .>
My personal opinion is that the hard government push for EV adoption with what I consider to be arbitrary deadlines is off putting to lots of ICE people. A softer approach and offering great products before imposing a deadline out of the thin blue sky would lead to less resistance.

From the industry side, the EV charging industry knows there's lots of work to do. I guess it's good to have a target, but a goal and an ultimatum are not the same thing and the public proclamations sound more like the latter. The industry does need enthusiastic early adopters. I want people to embrace and enjoy EVs if they choose to do so. No one is forcing anyone to adopt EVs and it's not either or. Come 2035, assuming that deadline sticks, you can still have your ICE and there will still be places to buy fuel. I am guessing there will still be many, but it's a guess.
Old 06-19-23, 03:00 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
My personal opinion is that the hard government push for EV adoption with what I consider to be arbitrary deadlines is off putting to lots of ICE people. A softer approach and offering great products before imposing a deadline out of the thin blue sky would lead to less resistance.

From the industry side, the EV charging industry knows there's lots of work to do. I guess it's good to have a target, but a goal and an ultimatum are not the same thing and the public proclamations sound more like the latter. The industry does need enthusiastic early adopters. I want people to embrace and enjoy EVs if they choose to do so. No one is forcing anyone to adopt EVs and it's not either or. Come 2035, assuming that deadline sticks, you can still have your ICE and there will still be places to buy fuel. I am guessing there will still be many, but it's a guess.
100%.

A new Camry gets 41 mpg, has over 200 hp, and while I don't like the looks of it, a lot of folks do. By 2035, if Toyota kept building the Camry it'd probably be in the 45-46 mpg range (assuming they kept the 4-cylinder). This car is way cleaner than a typical 70's domestic gas guzzler, yet the government wants to ban those too. Instead of a hard deadline that as you said, was made out of thin air, they could do it in stages.

Somebody brought up a chart months ago that personal transportation contributes to most greenhouse gases in this country. I wonder how much those big giant V8 behemoth Escalades, Yukons, Tundras, etc (and their 15 mpg real world driving) contribute to that percentage. Those are the culprit, not a highly efficient Camry or Accord.
Old 06-19-23, 03:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

100 percent EV owners I know and talk to don't believe in an ICE ban. Let the market make the decision the same way it did for Blackberry vs iPhone vs Android. Just make good EV's (the way Tesla already does), fix the non Tesla charging infrastructure and let the market worry about it
Old 06-19-23, 03:18 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I want people to embrace and enjoy EVs if they choose to do so. No one is forcing anyone to adopt EVs and it's not either or. Come 2035, assuming that deadline sticks, you can still have your ICE and there will still be places to buy fuel. I am guessing there will still be many, but it's a guess.
Hi link13,

I hope so cuz I might want one of each.

Old 06-19-23, 03:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

100%.

Somebody brought up a chart months ago that personal transportation contributes to most greenhouse gases in this country. I wonder how much those big giant V8 behemoth Escalades, Yukons, Tundras, etc (and their 15 mpg real world driving) contribute to that percentage. Those are the culprit, not a highly efficient Camry or Accord.
For perspective, it is worse for the environment to run a leaf blower for 30 minutes than it is to drive a 6.2L V8 equipped Ford Raptor 3800 miles from Canada to down here. Even trucks with big engines are very clean, they just burn more fuel. Also it would be great if they'd come after the POUNDS of junk mail we get per week before V8 engines. What a waste of trees...and of emissions to knock the trees down.

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...delinecom.html
Old 06-19-23, 03:51 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi link13,

I hope so cuz I might want one of each.
Me too. My AE86 will always be ICE. I am cool with having an EV. I look forward to it. My Civic is only 3 1/2 years old and has 23K miles, so it will be a while. I will look at EVs when it's time to get a new car.

My employer definitely is acutely aware of all of the current issues regarding software, hardware, and grid infrastructure and we as a company are hard after making the non residential charging experience not a pain in the ***. Because of who we are, we face resistance, protests, etc from people, who if they really do care about the environment and zero emissions, they should be glad that it's exactly us who as a company is deeply committed to the EV market.
Old 06-19-23, 05:16 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Purchasing an EV isn't a superior choice. Sure there're extreme views from both sides when it comes to EV and ICE and I'm afraid you sound like you're one of those. No one needs to justify what kind of vehicle they buy. As long as it fits their needs, that's what matters.

As for maintenance and cost of ownership, it varies based on the type of ICE vehicle you purchase. Japanese cars definitely have the advantage compared to the German counterparts. The fact remains that you still have to do maintenance either based on miles or years on any ICE vehicle. You can definitely keep your maintenance cost to the minimum if you do them yourself. For example, my Macan requires spark plugs and engine air filters change every 3yrs or 30k miles and PDK fluid change at every 4yrs or 40k miles, that's in addition to oil change, brake fluid, brake pads and rotors. On the other hand, e-tron doesn't have any of those maintenance costs. Of course things such as electronics and suspension (any other items for that matter) can break. Those are not maintenance items. That'll be the cost of ownership.

I won't disagree with you that the batteries can be the X factor. Even though battery technology isn't anywhere close to being perfect, it's also not as bad as you would think. If you like to drive your cars to 200k miles or more, then EV isn't for you.

Last edited by T-Rex06; 06-19-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 07:51 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
I won't disagree with you that the batteries can be the X factor. Even though battery technology isn't anywhere close to being perfect, it's also not as bad as you would think. If you like to drive your cars to 200k miles or more, then EV isn't for you.
Yes sir, this is my X factor too.

As a working man who doesn't drive many miles, I will be looking at used.

I realize I don't have to worry about a random unlucky & expensive head gasket failure which is usually easier to replace the engine with a donor engine sometimes or an expensive transmission rebuild- due to the car running on electric motors and batteries...

I do worry about the cost to replace the batteries and electric motor rebuild cost.

My hope is there will be a thriving industry for new batteries and electric motors and off she goes for another 100k miles.

That would be cool.
Old 06-19-23, 08:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yes sir, this is my X factor too.

As a working man who doesn't drive many miles, I will be looking at used.

I realize I don't have to worry about a random unlucky & expensive head gasket failure which is usually easier to replace the engine with a donor engine sometimes or an expensive transmission rebuild- due to the car running on electric motors and batteries...

I do worry about the cost to replace the batteries and electric motor rebuild cost.

My hope is there will be a thriving industry for new batteries and electric motors and off she goes for another 100k miles.

That would be cool.
Most manufactures give a 10 year 100K warranty (Tesla gives a 120K warranty) on batteries and drivetrains. There are already studies done on Tesla battery packs that show that they last at least 300K miles before their usefulness is over. As far as electric motors, those will easily last over half a million to a million miles.

By the time the warranty is up on my Model Y, I'll either be moving on to my next car, or I'll dead . Also there are several companies that are positioning themselves to sell replacement battery packs. And in 10 years when warranties expire, the cost of batteries will have gone way down. Even Toyota is claiming that they will have a cheaper battery pack by 2026.

Battery tech is continually evolving. Tesla already has a cheaper battery pack they are putting in the Model 3 and Model Y base (4680 Lithium Iron battery pack), so battery packs will get cheaper over time, like everything else does

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-19-23 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-23, 03:05 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Indeed. I'll probably never see an EV with 300-400k miles in my lifetime, unless it's some kind of unicorn.
Old 06-24-23, 03:08 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
100 percent EV owners I know and talk to don't believe in an ICE ban. Let the market make the decision the same way it did for Blackberry vs iPhone vs Android. Just make good EV's (the way Tesla already does), fix the non Tesla charging infrastructure and let the market worry about it
Agreed, but the problem is the market is manifestly *not* making the decision. Crowding out effect of heavy-handed government is in the way. Elon is basically an employee of the government if you research the subsidies his trio of companies have received. As much as I like him as an entrepreneur, that's the truth.

Quick Reply: What is an EV?