ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

NavsGo gps w backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 03:15 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Default NavsGo gps w backup camera

I admit it I cannot back my car up! I can't see the damn trunk to judge distance, and with the campagne interior often I can't even see out the back window because of the glare/reflection of the rear panel onto the rear window.

To solve this I got a 5" gps with wireless backup camera from NAVSGO. The gps sits on the dash using a ProClip dash mount, with a Ricter mounting plate screwed into it. This allows the Navsgo gps cradle to clip into the mount.

The wireless camera is mounted on the license plate and wired up to a transmitter which is mounted on the trunk lid. The transmitter is then wired to the back-up light wires ( yellow +, black/white -) using two small Posi-TAP connectors.

The install requires removing the trunk lid cover; just pop the plastic claws, removing and drilling a 3/4" hole into the license plate, and drilling a hole 3/4" hole though the trunk near one of the license plate bolt holes. I used a step drill bit like this

After install, I siliconed all the holes and tie wraped all the loose wires and buttoned it up. I still have to reroute the gps wires under the panels and connect it to the dc/usb port on the center compartement via another hole in the bottom of the compartement.

Proclip mount w Ricter plate and Navsgo cradle

gps view

backup camara view

license plate view

Old 10-05-12, 03:42 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, this is an awesome alternative for the cars without the nav.
Old 10-05-12, 05:27 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These license plate cameras are a great alternative to people who dont have stock navs. They are not limited to wireless gps devices either. I have seem some models that connect to aftermarket rear view mirrors with lcd screens embedded in them also. I never knew they existed before I randomly saw one at my car audio place. Just be sure you get a model that doesn't have exposed screws on the plate holder as you might get it stolen from someone who thinks its cool too.
Old 02-11-14, 04:24 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nevernu
I admit it I cannot back my car up! I can't see the damn trunk to judge distance, and with the campagne interior often I can't even see out the back window because of the glare/reflection of the rear panel onto the rear window.

To solve this I got a 5" gps with wireless backup camera from NAVSGO. The gps sits on the dash using a ProClip dash mount, with a Ricter mounting plate screwed into it. This allows the Navsgo gps cradle to clip into the mount.

The wireless camera is mounted on the license plate and wired up to a transmitter which is mounted on the trunk lid. The transmitter is then wired to the back-up light wires ( yellow +, black/white -) using two small Posi-TAP connectors.

The install requires removing the trunk lid cover; just pop the plastic claws, removing and drilling a 3/4" hole into the license plate, and drilling a hole 3/4" hole though the trunk near one of the license plate bolt holes. I used a step drill bit like this

After install, I siliconed all the holes and tie wraped all the loose wires and buttoned it up. I still have to reroute the gps wires under the panels and connect it to the dc/usb port on the center compartement via another hole in the bottom of the compartement.

Proclip mount w Ricter plate and Navsgo cradle

gps view

backup camara view

license plate view

the mount you have is that a pro mount or another brand ?
Old 04-15-15, 06:19 PM
mista714
Driver

Awesome! Great alternative been looking for something like that. Not much of a fan with those back rear view mirror with the LCD screen built into them for some odd reason
Old 01-10-16, 12:53 PM
ebill
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much
Old 01-10-16, 02:21 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Your welcome. At the time there were few GPS that came w backup camera but now most of the major brands offer such an option so there is lots of choice out there.
Old 02-08-22, 02:46 AM
MrDust
Driver School Candidate

If you like travel a lot and use your vehicle, then you might find it convenient to use a backup camera that came along with the GPS. This type of camera feeds you all the locations so that you can re-live every moment of your journey. GPS makes sure that the user doesn't get lost and helps them reach their place very easily.
Some experts suggest always using GPS system with back camera
Some options....gps with backup camera
Old 02-08-22, 05:26 AM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for this post, I also installed a wireless backup camera but didn't really find anywhere suitable to mount the backup screen. Ended up using an old Garmin Satnav mount but it's less than ideal.

I'll go look up the pro-clip now!
Old 05-14-22, 07:15 AM
johnalex
1st Gear

If you like traveling, it may be convenient to use a GPS with backup camera. This type of camera displays everywhere, so you can relive every moment of your trip. GPS keeps users from getting lost and makes it easy for them to reach their location. Some experts always recommend using a GPS system with a rear camera.