ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dashcam suggestions, please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 09:00 AM
actionzhe
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by burnik
Has anyone tried this? Looks like it integrates great with the ES. Please let me know as I would like to get one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/FITCAMX-Lens1.../dp/B07PHS95LP
This is looking very neat! 1080p at 30fps max, and a max of 32gb microsd card, so prob not the best sensor and processors on board, but that is a clean installation and no wire tucking involved!
The following 2 users liked this post by actionzhe:
burnik (12-05-19), kalel2127 (12-05-19)
Old 12-06-19, 04:17 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried this? Looks like it integrates great with the ES. Please let me know as I would like to get one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/FITCAMX-Lens1.../dp/B07PHS95LP

Well, I just ordered this dash cam. The Lexus dash cam seems to have more features, but this after market one seems to integrate to the ES really nicely. It came to a total of $138 with the oppressive California tax and $10 for expedited shipping. I do not know what the Lexus dash cam costs. I do know that in a couple of instances, a dash cam would have been worth every penny.

I will post photos and my 2 cents after I receive it and install it. Say about two weeks.

Thanks to burnik for bringing to forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by BobES2019:
actionzhe (12-06-19), burnik (12-06-19), kalel2127 (12-06-19)
Old 12-06-19, 04:45 PM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobES2019
Well, I just ordered this dash cam. The Lexus dash cam seems to have more features, but this after market one seems to integrate to the ES really nicely. It came to a total of $138 with the oppressive California tax and $10 for expedited shipping. I do not know what the Lexus dash cam costs. I do know that in a couple of instances, a dash cam would have been worth every penny.

I will post photos and my 2 cents after I receive it and install it. Say about two weeks.

I’m sure we are all eagerly awaiting for your review. I too live in Cali and would be expecting to pay as much.
Old 12-06-19, 06:35 PM
actionzhe
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for testing this!
​​
Definitely eager to hear your review. I'm a bit surprised I have to pay $10.39 tax in Texas as well. Usually I never pay any tax on these third party sellers unless they are physically in TX. Judging from the shipping speed, they definitely are not. But w/e, at $139 all inclusive this is a very good value just for the car fitment, as long as the quality is not absolute crap.

The mirror/camera power this thing taps into do power off when car is shut down right? My biggest fear with these is the battery drain...and not sure if this is battery or capacitor based.

Old 12-06-19, 07:09 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by actionzhe
Thanks for testing this!
​​
Definitely eager to hear your review. I'm a bit surprised I have to pay $10.39 tax in Texas as well. Usually I never pay any tax on these third party sellers unless they are physically in TX. Judging from the shipping speed, they definitely are not. But w/e, at $139 all inclusive this is a very good value just for the car fitment, as long as the quality is not absolute crap.

The mirror/camera power this thing taps into do power off when car is shut down right? My biggest fear with these is the battery drain...and not sure if this is battery or capacitor based.

A few years ago, California made all out of state purchases subject to California sales tax. Welcome Texas.

The manufacturer states: "Powered from the sensor, the location is behind the rearview mirror. Do not need to go line for the wire, customer can install it by yourself easily." Their English is not great, but I am fairly certain that the mirror sensor goes off when the ignition is turned off. I will let you know for sure, but I do not expect a problem.

BTW, for those who decide to order this dash cam, they are serious about proper fit. A couple hours after I ordered it from Amazon, I received an e-mail from the manufacturer requesting the make/model of my car and a front and rear photo of my rear view mirror as stated in the Amazon listing. I then did submit this info.
Old 12-06-19, 08:49 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Should I buy a dashcam?

I've never given thought to buying a dashcam for my new 2019 ES 350 UL, but came across this article that seems unbiased and informative. Sharing it in case you're wondering the same thing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/15/...-should-i-buy/

--John
Old 12-07-19, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Does that dashcam have a 2 channel option for a rear camera? IMHO a rear camera is really importsnt.
Old 12-07-19, 12:51 PM
TrentYoung
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSterling
I am considering getting a dashcam for my 2019 ES. I want one that has good functionality, aesthetically unobtrusive, and can be self-wired/installed (if possible). Please take into account the location of the center speaker and not inhibiting that. All suggestions appreciated.
Blackvue 900S. Did a great deal of research and buy far the very best on the market.
Old 12-10-19, 07:53 PM
burnik
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Does that dashcam have a 2 channel option for a rear camera? IMHO a rear camera is really importsnt.
I don’t think it does.
Old 12-20-19, 08:36 PM
burnik
Rookie

Any update on the dash cam? Thanks.
Old 12-21-19, 01:52 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Any update on the dash cam? Thanks.

Yes, well I just received it Wednesday. It came earlier than expected. No missing parts. I watched the installation video. The video was not great, but the installation seems simple. I am glad that I do not need to disassemble the dash.
Between the Holidays, work, and a major honey do project, I have been busy. But I should be able to install it within a few days after Christmas. I don't think it will take more than a few minutes, but I do not want to be rushed.
I will post the outcome.
Old 12-21-19, 03:28 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Best Buy will do it for $59.99, and guarantee it for life. I know people have issues trusting Best Buy, but I've personally never had any problems with their work.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dash-ca...?skuId=4265502
Old 12-21-19, 06:31 PM
burnik
Rookie

Yes, well I just received it Wednesday. It came earlier than expected. No missing parts. I watched the installation video. The video was not great, but the installation seems simple. I am glad that I do not need to disassemble the dash.
Between the Holidays, work, and a major honey do project, I have been busy. But I should be able to install it within a few days after Christmas. I don't think it will take more than a few minutes, but I do not want to be rushed.
I will post the outcome.
Thank you so much. Can’t wait for you review.
Old 12-22-19, 04:12 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Default Fitcam installation

Thank you so much. Can’t wait for you review.
I installed the Fitcam just now. It is a very easy installation. The photo below shows the Fitcam module and the OEM module. First you slide off the OEM module. Then you connect the included "Y" cable. It reconnects the mirror sensor and feeds 12v to the camera. Then you slide on the camera module. It all simply plugs in and the wires are contained in the Fitcam module. There is a very minor texture between the Fitcam module and the the OEM module. Once installed, you cannot see any difference. I rate the Fitcam as looking like it is OEM. It does not look added on. This makes me a happy camper.
If you get this dash cam, pay attention to how the OEM module comes off. The Fitcam goes on the same way. You need to transfer the orange clips from the OEM to the Fitcam. Then take the blue lens protector off the Fitcam. Sounds obvious, but I initially missed it. You need no tools except the plastic removal tool included in the kit.

In about a week I will post how well the camera works and how clear the video is. I will include photos to show.

The following 3 users liked this post by BobES2019:
actionzhe (12-22-19), burnik (12-22-19), kalel2127 (12-23-19)
Old 12-28-19, 10:46 PM
BobES2019
Driver School Candidate

Default Fitcam initial impressions

I installed the Fitcam just now. It is a very easy installation. The photo below shows the Fitcam module and the OEM module. First you slide off the OEM module. Then you connect the included "Y" cable. It reconnects the mirror sensor and feeds 12v to the camera. Then you slide on the camera module. It all simply plugs in and the wires are contained in the Fitcam module. There is a very minor texture between the Fitcam module and the the OEM module. Once installed, you cannot see any difference. I rate the Fitcam as looking like it is OEM. It does not look added on. This makes me a happy camper.
If you get this dash cam, pay attention to how the OEM module comes off. The Fitcam goes on the same way. You need to transfer the orange clips from the OEM to the Fitcam. Then take the blue lens protector off the Fitcam. Sounds obvious, but I initially missed it. You need no tools except the plastic removal tool included in the kit.

In about a week I will post how well the camera works and how clear the video is. I will include photos to show.

To continue my little review of the Fitcamx, I would summarize by saying it seems to be a good camera. As stated above, the installation is very easy, and it looks OEM. The picture quality is good, but really I have nothing to compare it to except my cell phone. My iPhone is sharper. But it does a pretty good job both day and night. The worst part of the Fitcam is the instructions, which suffer greatly from the translation. I did e-mail the manufacturer if there was any instructions online. Their responded in a timely manner (a few hours later) with a link to a You Tube video. I appreciated the quick response, but the video was not very helpful.

So if you are looking for a front and rear dash cam, this is not for you. Also I would bet there are some very high resolution cameras out there. But for my needs, the Fitcam is fine. BTW, it takes 3 minute continuous segments that are about 240 mb. If anyone can tell me how to attach a video, I will be glad to upload a short one.

Finally, I really know little about dash cams. So take my little review with a grain of salt and perhaps check things out for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
hlu (03-11-20)

Quick Reply: Dashcam suggestions, please.