ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Advise desired before I purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 09:40 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise desired before I purchase

I am considering getting a Starfire Pearl ES300h and would love the input from this group on options ...
  1. I noticed one person on the forum was able to have the dealer trade theES300h stock wheels for the ES350s which IMHO look nicer. Any tips on how to best get a dealer to trade them without a large additional cost?
  2. Also I noticed that many of your feel the ride is significantly improved with Michelin tires. Is this worth paying extra for and if so is it something I should do myself after I own the car to right up front with the dealer? Can someone explain is it a safety or performance reasoning behind switching the tires?
  3. My current car is a 1998 ES (which I have had since 1999) so I honestly think any new car will be a huge upgrade of materials however can you tell me if the black or parchment hides the lower end plastics some of you seem disappointed in? Also does the parchment really make the car cooler in summer than the black?
  4. Is the Mark Levinson worth the additional cost? I am already planning to get the UL package but it seems that is just with "upgraded audio" (whatever that is).....

Any other tips, options or thoughts you would be willing to share with me before I pull the trigger and send my broker to do his work

btw - I am looking forward to being around a bit more and have already learned quite a bit. Thanks!!!

Last edited by LoveOM; 03-20-13 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 10:31 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. Owners are switching or demanding the Michelins (as part of the sale) for ride comfort / quiet and not for safety/performance.

3. You're going through a broker, but you should still probably make it out to a Lexus dealer and inspect the car exterior/interior to see if you have any misgivings that you wouldn't be able to overlook.

4. The Mark Levinson system comes with 15 speakers which makes a difference over the standard 8 speakers. And while ML only makes the head unit, and not the speakers -- even if you were playing compressed music through your phone (where output quality will not make that much of a difference because of your source), the increased number of speakers and avail. power definitely will.
Old 03-11-13, 10:54 AM
Fly4u
Banned

2- My ES300h was delivered 2 weeks ago and has "stock" Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55/17 tires. Temp and traction = A, treadwear = 500.

3- Cost-cutting in the realm of touch surfaces is apparent. Hard surfaces on the lower dash and door panels are acceptable to me, but egregious on the center console that houses the Nav mouse and adjustable mode controls. The trunk hinge mechanism is slighty intrusive but less so than other makes. At least the hood raises with hydraulic pistons! Thus far my exposure to warm days w/ parchment is limited to 75F and low humidity. Summer will be the acid test!

You are sending a broker to take all the fun out of the process?!
Old 03-11-13, 10:54 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I asked about upgrading the wheels on mine. It sounded like it was a possibility but not really recommended. Given their reluctance and the added cost (they said at least $2k more), I didn't pursue any further.

2. My car has Bridgestones. For me, they seem fine, but I don't drive with Michelins to compare them to. I do know that my experience with Michelin's in the past is that they get progressively louder with more miles. (That's probably the case with any tire.)

3. After test driving a car with Parchment, I chose to go with ebony. I think the parchment looks great, but the demo car they had was pretty marked-up.

4. I bought the UL w/Mark Levinson and absolutely love it. I came from a 2010 Acura TSX Wagon with their technology package - which includes the upgraded ELS stereo. From my perspective, the base ES300h sound system was a downgrade, but without a doubt, the ML stereo was a significant upgrade.
Old 03-11-13, 11:43 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

1.You will only have luck with the wheel exchange if the dealer has some ES350 wheels in inventory and wants your business. If these two conditions are met they might trade them out for free. I certainly wouldn't pay $2K for them - there are a lot of takeoffs available.

2.You have probably a 50-50 or better chance of getting Michelins on your new car and if not I would try to make them part of the deal. Again the dealers willingness to do this will depend on what they have available. They are a much better tire.

3. I have a black interior rather than parchment for the first time and like it. I don't think it is really going to be significantly hotter in the summer. I have noticed that it shows scuff marks more than the parchment but they do wipe off easily.

4.I don't have the Mark Levinson sound system and don't regret it but most who have it like it. It may be on a lot of the UL's anyway.

Check out some of the cars on the dealer's lots before even talking to your broker if you can - just don't get involved in any negotiations.

Dave Mac
Old 03-11-13, 05:38 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy the car because you want it at the price you're willing to pay for it. When and if you decide you don't like the rims or tires, swap them out. They shouldn't be a deal breaker if you want the car bad enough.
Old 03-12-13, 08:45 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
2. Owners are switching or demanding the Michelins (as part of the sale) for ride comfort / quiet and not for safety/performance.

3. You're going through a broker, but you should still probably make it out to a Lexus dealer and inspect the car exterior/interior to see if you have any misgivings that you wouldn't be able to overlook.

4. The Mark Levinson system comes with 15 speakers which makes a difference over the standard 8 speakers. And while ML only makes the head unit, and not the speakers -- even if you were playing compressed music through your phone (where output quality will not make that much of a difference because of your source), the increased number of speakers and avail. power definitely will.
Thanks for the information about the Michelins that sounds like something I will aim to get.

Yes I am going thru a broker but I did test drive the ES300h I just hate dealing with car dealers. The version I test drove had black leather which was nice. They did not have parchement leather on the lot that day just the new leatherish material which I am not opting for. In general parchment vs black I am undecided about the only one I know I do not like is the gray.

Neat about playing music from your cell, I would not have thought of that!

Last edited by LoveOM; 03-20-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 08:29 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fly4u
2- My ES300h was delivered 2 weeks ago and has "stock" Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55/17 tires. Temp and traction = A, treadwear = 500.

3- Cost-cutting in the realm of touch surfaces is apparent. Hard surfaces on the lower dash and door panels are acceptable to me, but egregious on the center console that houses the Nav mouse and adjustable mode controls. The trunk hinge mechanism is slighty intrusive but less so than other makes. At least the hood raises with hydraulic pistons! Thus far my exposure to warm days w/ parchment is limited to 75F and low humidity. Summer will be the acid test!

You are sending a broker to take all the fun out of the process?!
Sweet about getting stock Michelin tires! I am not a huge fan of the cost cutting measures but I do think they had to do something to signify a difference between the ES and GS. I suppose it is what it is. Some people really love dealing with car dealers, but I personally do not like dealing with commission based sales people in general and my friend is a car broker so it is win win

Originally Posted by chewbach
1. I asked about upgrading the wheels on mine. It sounded like it was a possibility but not really recommended. Given their reluctance and the added cost (they said at least $2k more), I didn't pursue any further.

2. My car has Bridgestones. For me, they seem fine, but I don't drive with Michelins to compare them to. I do know that my experience with Michelin's in the past is that they get progressively louder with more miles. (That's probably the case with any tire.)

3. After test driving a car with Parchment, I chose to go with ebony. I think the parchment looks great, but the demo car they had was pretty marked-up.

4. I bought the UL w/Mark Levinson and absolutely love it. I came from a 2010 Acura TSX Wagon with their technology package - which includes the upgraded ELS stereo. From my perspective, the base ES300h sound system was a downgrade, but without a doubt, the ML stereo was a significant upgrade.
I would also not upgrade the tires for 2k. It is interesting that on this thread alone some think black show more marks than parchment and others feel the opposite -- I suppose that is subjective. It does seems like ML audio is worth it and I checked with the local dealers most of them have the ML or "upgraded audio" on the UL ES300h so I will go for ML if I can!!!

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
1.You will only have luck with the wheel exchange if the dealer has some ES350 wheels in inventory and wants your business. If these two conditions are met they might trade them out for free. I certainly wouldn't pay $2K for them - there are a lot of takeoffs available.

2.You have probably a 50-50 or better chance of getting Michelins on your new car and if not I would try to make them part of the deal. Again the dealers willingness to do this will depend on what they have available. They are a much better tire.
This makes complete sense. Thanks!
Old 03-20-13, 08:36 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unowned
Buy the car because you want it at the price you're willing to pay for it. When and if you decide you don't like the rims or tires, swap them out. They shouldn't be a deal breaker if you want the car bad enough.
Very very true. I think my challenge is I am committed to getting a hybrid and haven't found the "right" hybrid for me. I am trying to make the ES300h the perfect hybrid for me (and it is one sexy looking car) but honestly it feels rather large and really long for me...... and I cannot go a step down because the CT does not have the trunk space that I need. If I were not committed to getting a hybrid I would be getting an IS most likely but that are not offering an hybrid IS here in the US anytime soon. Sigh...
Old 03-20-13, 09:21 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveOM
Very very true. I think my challenge is I am committed to getting a hybrid and haven't found the "right" hybrid for me. I am trying to make the ES300h the perfect hybrid for me (and it is one sexy looking car) but honestly it feels rather large and really long for me...... and I cannot go a step down because the CT does not have the trunk space that I need. If I were not committed to getting a hybrid I would be getting an IS most likely but that are not offering an hybrid IS here in the US anytime soon. Sigh...
IMHO,
if you need room, the prius V (van) is the way to go... but it lacks the power of the ES.

and I don't think the ES is a big car... long, but narrow.

I think toyota makes the best hybrids.
-I drove the honda civic, insight and the crz. all were down on power.... and all seemed small.

I got my 300h, because is was bigger platform, got very good mpg, and was a nicer ride.

the only candidate I didn't drive was the hyundai sonata.... but I think there are lot of unknowns on that brand... so I'd probably only want to lease their hyundai.

-YMMV

Last edited by mrBillFL; 03-20-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 10:15 AM
unowned
Pole Position

2014 IS will be available in hybrid form... but make sure you like the looks of it is very love or hate since the recent motor show.
Old 03-20-13, 11:18 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, the new ES isn't too small nor too large. The Toyota Camery is about 189" long, the Lexus ES is about 192", and the Toyota Avalon is about 195". The Lexus feels much bigger on the inside than the Camry, and is more lux than the other two hybrids.
Old 03-21-13, 08:50 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unowned
2014 IS will be available in hybrid form... but make sure you like the looks of it is very love or hate since the recent motor show.

Really? Is this true? I thought it was only going to be released in Europe....

See link: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...n-geneva-debut
Old 03-21-13, 09:45 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Really? Is this true? I thought it was only going to be released in Europe....

See link: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...n-geneva-debut
maybe for a bit, but if you look at the current line up every sedan except the IS they currently offer has a hybrid model so it's bound to be reversed or brought over.