ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Emergency problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 08:51 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Yes, a good mechanic would check all other parts before going down this path. One doesn't need a working pump/thermostat to confirm if heads are warped, pistons collapsed due to overheat, or to do a compression check...

I would assume that his garage did this before replacing the pump and thermostat. Hopefully he picked up his car yesterday afternoon and all went well!
Thanks again for your help!
Yes before I left the garage on Monday afternoon, the mechanic seems to have put water into the coolant tank, because he was showing me where the leak was coming from and it looked like water pouring out.
He seemed to be confident about the problem and how to fix it.

I picked up the car Tuesday afternoon and took it for a test drive before paying.
It was quiet once again. No knocking/clicking.
He showed me the old parts. I don't know if he ordered the 'new improved' water pump or not. I got the message about it after I got the car back.

I drove back home (more than 100 km) and there were no problems.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes trained to the temp gauge.

For my upcoming oil change at Lexus do you think I should tell them about the work that was done?
Old 09-14-18, 03:58 AM
BigPapa53
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you were VERY fortunate. You might want to go buy a lottery ticket........
Old 09-14-18, 05:40 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Yes before I left the garage on Monday afternoon, the mechanic seems to have put water into the coolant tank, because he was showing me where the leak was coming from and it looked like water pouring out.

I picked up the car Tuesday afternoon and took it for a test drive before paying.
He showed me the old parts. I don't know if he ordered the 'new improved' water pump or not. I got the message about it after I got the car back.

For my upcoming oil change at Lexus do you think I should tell them about the work that was done?
Congrats!!!! I'm so happy your engine wasn't fried; I've been praying silently it wasn't. Enjoy your ride
Old 09-14-18, 06:34 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree

That's awesome! With onset of symptoms, you have stopped it in time to prevent any damage!

The pump you got, if purchased from a dealer, given the replacement frequency of those, is the greatest and latest so no need to stress over that. Mine was replaced 7 years ago under warranty and is still good (*touch wood*). Since you car is already out of warranty, you don't have to disclose any outside of dealer repairs...
Old 09-14-18, 12:33 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Thanks BigPapa, hisstojay and igzy.

And now for the biggest shocker!
I had a mini deja vu as I was thinking about the coolant leak.
I recalled a while ago (it seemed like a year or two) when I had in my car for a
routine maintenance at my dealer.
They added this note to my repair bill and also told me about it:
"Water pump leaking, $510.38 installed plus tax"
They didn't tell me it was urgent to repair right away, but that I should keep an eye
out for my coolant levels.

I did check my coolant level right after and then a few months later but all was good.
So I didn't think anymore about it until this recent emergency.

I looked at the repair bill's date just now, where they added this note:
June 12, 2014 !!!

And here's the kicker, my car had been in for maintenance/oil changes to
this same dealer at at least a couple of times after that date and no
mention of a water pump problem.

Old 09-14-18, 12:54 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Any time!
You basically delayed the repair for 4 years and hopefully didn't cost you more than $500

It really depends on who's doing the oil change: if it's a busy day then it is an apprentice who may not look around the engine to check on other parts, and if it is a slow day or apprentice called in, then it is a master tech who has a habit of checking everything under the car (including common problems) while waiting for oil to drain...
Old 09-14-18, 03:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Any time!
You basically delayed the repair for 4 years and hopefully didn't cost you more than $500

It really depends on who's doing the oil change: if it's a busy day then it is an apprentice who may not look around the engine to check on other parts, and if it is a slow day or apprentice called in, then it is a master tech who has a habit of checking everything under the car (including common problems) while waiting for oil to drain...
Preventive maintenance. When a problem is noticed that's the time to act. Not until it becomes a major headache.
This case is a lesson about importance of prevemtive maintenance. Feel, Inspect, Tighten, Check, Adjust, Lubricate, 6 words to remember.
Old 09-16-18, 05:54 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Htony
Preventive maintenance. When a problem is noticed that's the time to act. Not until it becomes a major headache.
This case is a lesson about importance of prevemtive maintenance. Feel, Inspect, Tighten, Check, Adjust, Lubricate, 6 words to remember.
Yes indeed. A lesson learned for the future.
Old 09-17-18, 05:10 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Rightly said........Yes, preventive maintenance is very key.